Metal Storm logo
Progressive Metal Bands For People Who Hate Prog

Progressive metal has some of the most creative musicians in metal, but the tendency for progressive bands to make extremely long, technical songs with no sense of structure can be turnoff to some people, and often these bands take themselves too seriously, making them unenjoyable for people who like their metal to have some good rock n' roll fun. These bands frequently avoid such prog cliches, they are completely capable of writing a pop song without sacrificing complexity if they choose to, and weave a range of influences in creative and even fun ways.

Created by: Ganondox | 16.10.2015

1. Devin Townsend - Accelerated Evolution
Devin Townsend's first "solo" album with an actual band. He is the master of progressive pop metal.
2. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Called "The New Pink Floyd", but they are so much more, seeking to create experimental pop. This album brings metal in.
3. Toehider - What Kind Of Creature Am I?
Another prog rock band, this time more like Queen, silly or serious. This album even has a death metal track.
4. Coheed and Cambria - Volume 4
Post-hardcore/alternative metal known for their concept albums, but they have other progressive elements as well.
5. Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun
Known for being the first to blend sludge metal with progressive rock, their recent work is more song oriented.
6. Tarby - Everfree
Progressive Industrial Metal band, like Nine Inch Nails with Pink Floyd solos and Lamb of God riffs in a hard rock format.
7. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
Technical power/thrash band unashamed to let to their hard rock influence shine through.
8. Baroness - Yellow & Green
Another progressive sludge metal band, they moved to somewhat more accessible but still somewhat metallic stoner rock.
9. Kekal - 8
Avant-garde metal band from Indonesia with prominent influence from trip-hop and black metal.
10. Dreadnought - Body.Blood.Skin.Mind
Melodic thrash metal band from the 90s with introspective lyrics
11. Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Not as pop as some of the others, but at least this album isn't "wanky".
12. Cønstantine - Resign Due
Technical, but highly melodic and song oriented progressive metal.
13. Nerve End - Axis
More industrial progressive metal, they are more similar to DTB than Tarby though.
14. Amorphis - Eclipse
Pioneer of folk metal who also takes from melodeath and progressive metal. Exact mix varies by album and song.
15. Enslaved - In Times
Classic black metal band that became more progressive in recent years in best possible way.
16. Omb - SwineSong
They might be extremely chaotic, but that makes them fun rather than just disorientating like many technical bands.
17. Riverside - Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
More prog rock with some metal influence, this one more like a less pretentious Tool.
18. Blindead - Affliction XXIX II MXMVI
Extreme and progressive doom
19. Kingcrow - Eidos
I don't know how to describe them, but heck, they rock hard.
20. Morbus Chron - Sweven
Atmospheric death metal with progressive influences
21. Dir En Grey - Arche
Avant-garde metal band who has flirted with prog since Urobos known for their highly skilled vocals
22. Periphery - Juggernaut: Alpha & Omega
Known for being one of the pioneers of djent, Periphery made Alpha as pop music
23. Voyager - V
Stylistically it's pretty standard progressive metal, but in the form of catchy songs
24. Vola - Inmazes
Atmospheric djent band
25. OSI - Blood
Another progressive industrial metal band, but unlike anything else I've heard, surprisingly simple and catchy

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Ganondox ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 8   Visited by: 72 users
16.10.2015 - 05:33
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Nice. Gotta have to check those later

Dude... Did you hear the wrong Dreadnought? =p
I was thinking about the one which is linked when I said it on that other thread. (which is not the melothrash one) I dunno which one the other ones were recommending though.
Anyway you should listen to their last album
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.10.2015 - 13:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:
Devin Townsend's first "solo" album with an actual band.

Physisicts and Terria were recorded with an actual band and both were released before Accelerated Evolution and at least Terria was supported by a tour as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2015 - 16:07
Risto
Wandering Midget
Resign Due instead of Remedy Otherwise a good-looking list.
25.10.2015 - 15:09
Ganondox

Written by Karlabos on 16.10.2015 at 05:33

I was thinking about the one which is linked when I said it on that other thread. (which is not the melothrash one) I dunno which one the other ones were recommending though.

Oops. Think I should replace it?

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2015 at 13:08

Quote:
Devin Townsend's first "solo" album with an actual band.

Physisicts and Terria were recorded with an actual band and both were released before Accelerated Evolution and at least Terria was supported by a tour as well.

Good point. It's not that it was recorded by a band which makes Accelerated Evolution special, it's that it's the first album from the The Devin Townsend Band which was created as a dedicated counter to Strapping Young Lad, but it's hard to articulate that in the limited character space.

Written by Risto on 16.10.2015 at 16:07

Resign Due instead of Remedy Otherwise a good-looking list.

Alright, listing a single was an accident. Remedy is my fav though.
05.06.2016 - 06:10
Ganondox

Written by Karlabos on 16.10.2015 at 05:33

Finally listened to that band, they're great, but very proggy, so I wouldn't put them on this list.
06.06.2016 - 06:39
Diverge

Interesting selections. As a proghead, I actually don't really enjoy a lot of these bands (Enslaved, Baroness, Mastodon, Kekal, Coheed and Cambria) so perhaps they have greater appeal to people who traditionally hate prog.
07.06.2016 - 22:04
Paz

Morbus Chron should be taking into consideration as well. I'm far from being a prog-head, but love this album:

08.06.2016 - 07:23
Ganondox

Written by Paz on 07.06.2016 at 22:04

Morbus Chron should be taking into consideration as well. I'm far from being a prog-head, but love this album:

Definitely something else, doesn't really seem quite death metal or progressive metal, almost has an atmospheric black metal feel to it.

Hits total: 2480 | This month: 5