05. Mine [Andy Wallace mix]
06. Dusted [demo]
07. Roots Bloody Roots [demo]
08. R.D.P. [demo]
09. Untitled [demo]
10. Attitude [live at Ozzfest]
11. Roots Bloody Roots [Megawatt mix 1]
12. Roots Bloody Roots [Megawatt mix 2]

What's left to say about Sepultura? That it's probably the best selling third world band ever? That they're going facedown to the ground since the leaving of Max "I am the Soulfly-Ego" Cavalera? "Chaos A.D." went golden and "Roots" went double gold in Holland (trust me, that's a good thing). That the difference between their first and last records is so huge that even the development of a butterfly contains more radical changes? That "Roots" was the first piece of metal I bought? Nah, I think the band-name speaks for itself. The style on this first piece of Sepultura is totally different from "Roots". They started as a full-on death metal band, finding their roots on "Beneath The Remains' (1989) and re-discovered 'em in 1991, with the release of "Arise". And then, five years later, one of the finest works of the 90's is released.

Simply called "Roots", the album shows more tribal influences than a reggae-bar. Songs like "Jasco" and "Itsari" are nothing more than the drumming on a Brazilian bongo, the total opposition of the album opener, "Roots Bloody Roots" (who's the sinner that doesn't know this song?). "Roots" is a turning point in history, and possiblly the reason why other Brazilian bands (like Agresion and Retturn) decide to put a coin in the thrash-metal bag. And they can't be blamed. There is not a band which can equal the quality of a Sepultura record. Just because of the simple fact that songs like "Attitude", "Spit" and "Breed Apart" are so good, they'd ought tp give Max a medal!! His 'straight-in-your-face'-voice sets the tone on "Roots Bloody Roots" (ROOOOTS BLOODY ROOOOTS!!!!!!!) and "Attitude" ('Can you take it? / I won't take it!'). Then, after bursting through "Cut-Throat", there's a 20-second warm-up for "Ratamahatta". Enough time to take a glass of water and then roar along with Max and Carlinhos Brown. Following songs, "Breed Apart" and "Straigthate" are pressure-building songs, as I'd like to call them. Long songs, starting off slowly and eventually turn into a metal assault, with which you'd get your grandma deaf (that is, if she has survived the first 3 tracks). The production of "Spit" and "Dusted" could have been better. Not really surprising, not with the likes of Ross Robinson (Slipknot, Korn) working with Sepultura.

The following 2 tracks, "Jasco" and "Itsari" could have been produced by either me, you or Ross, since they're nothing more then some drumming on tribal drums, allowing you some time to get back to breath. And you'll need it, since "Dictatorshit" and "Endangered Species" are Sepultura as we known them: furious, fast metal with even more furious vocals (or should I say; screams?). Album closer, and hidden track "Canyon Jam" is based on the intro, but develops into some drumming that could have been recorded in some canyon, bouncing nicely away through your walls, they'll have your neighbours screaming to stop. Like with every good record.

If I wrote this review in '96, when it was released, I'd predict something like world domination, but with the loss of a mighty fine frontman in the shape of Max Cavalera, I'm sorry to say that "Roots" was the last Sepultura album that still proves some of the hidden quality that Sepultura had to show, since 12 years weren't enough. The world is falling apart, just several months after it's found his roots. I'm sorry.

Written by Account deleted | 19.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Roots was Max Cavalera's last album with Sepultura before his departure, and he did not exactly go out with a bang. The predecessor to Roots, Chaos A.D., saw the band move away from thrash and towards a simpler, moderately-paced death metal sound that, while differing from their previous material, showed promise. Roots takes this stylistic change further, abandoning thrash-inspired death for death-inspired nu metal. Truthfully, this is largely a nu metal album punctuated by Max Cavalera's recognizable growls, Igor's trademark drumming, and some traditional Brazilian instrumentation provided by Brazilian musician Carlinhos Brown and the native Xavante tribe. The genesis of Soulfly is here, and is not entirely welcome.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2012 | Comments (14)

Comments

Comments: 26   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 226 users
09.03.2007 - 14:34
Rating: 9
iaberis
Advice Troll
Very interesting album indeed. A bit weird with all those tribal/traditional stuff inside, but I liked it... I always like stuff with folk influences inside...
But it does sound like Korn and Slipknot from time to time... The song No.4 "Ratamahatta" sounds like they put turntables in it!
----
Bitch! Please
11.03.2007 - 01:34
Bitch Boy
I like this album, the tribal elements sound really good. The review is ok but the rating is really high.
17.07.2007 - 19:33
Rating: 5
AnarChrist
Sorry but you got to be kidding me,it's one of the worst albums I have ever heard really.Ok you can give them points for originality,but talking about folk influences,their thing with the Xavante tribe doesn't come together at all.Talking about intelligent music,yeah,you can totally feel the intelligence flowing through the songs which have some of the dumbest lyrics ever,and hey,is it just me or where the hell are the riffs,I mean riffs that you can distinguish? Apparently this is nu-metal all around,a kind of nu-metal that wishes it could get away under the flag of tribal thrash.Urgh,Tribal Thrash 1991-1996.Really.Thrash all around...come on.I'd say it's good Max left,because Dante XXI runs circles around this and if that sound develops,then yippikaiyee.To clear the possible misunderstandings,Schizophrenia will always remain their best ever.Ok it was nice to have an opinion after a while again,bye.
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
18.07.2007 - 11:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by AnarChrist on 17.07.2007 at 19:33

Sorry but you got to be kidding me,it's one of the worst albums I have ever heard really.Ok you can give them points for originality,but talking about folk influences,their thing with the Xavante tribe doesn't come together at all.Talking about intelligent music,yeah,you can totally feel the intelligence flowing through the songs which have some of the dumbest lyrics ever,and hey,is it just me or where the hell are the riffs,I mean riffs that you can distinguish? Apparently this is nu-metal all around,a kind of nu-metal that wishes it could get away under the flag of tribal thrash.Urgh,Tribal Thrash 1991-1996.Really.Thrash all around...come on.I'd say it's good Max left,because Dante XXI runs circles around this and if that sound develops,then yippikaiyee.To clear the possible misunderstandings,Schizophrenia will always remain their best ever.Ok it was nice to have an opinion after a while again,bye.

I agree with you fully on what you said about Roots. Okay i is not the worst album ever, there are worse albums oout there, but it certainly is Sepultua'worst, closely followed by Chaos AD.
But Schizophrenia their best? Hahaha, no f***ing way, that would be a tie between Arise and Beneath The Remains. But then again tastes differ from person to person.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2007 - 16:28
Rating: 5
AnarChrist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.07.2007 at 11:28

But Schizophrenia their best? Hahaha, no f***ing way, that would be a tie between Arise and Beneath The Remains. But then again tastes differ from person to person.

Well I am also a person who prefers "Killing Is My Business" over "Rust In Peace" and thinks Onslaught's debut is a great thrash album
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
23.07.2007 - 08:12
Rating: 3
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album is just fucking terrible. The only song I don't hate on this album is Roots Bloody Roots, but I hate the fact that that song is their most well-known.

I almost threw this cd in the garbage can when I first listened to it, and I don't think it'll make a 2nd trip to my cd player.
30.03.2008 - 01:02
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Almost perfect album, everything a tribal metal fan can ask. This is Sepultura best album (followed closely by Beneath the remains) because it have the touch of something very important: Originallity. And that make this album better (in my opinion) than others from thrash metal.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
14.04.2008 - 10:31
Samuel550
Account deleted
Pah, all you Chaos A.D haters really need to shut the fuck up and belt up your whinging of 'WHHHAAAAAAAA, TOOO MUCH NUUU METAL!!!!' and realise that there are some of us out there who can apreciate a metal album that for once doesn't concentrate on your beloved death/thrash riffs or whatever this CD lacks that forces such negative and petty prejudism. You don't like the tribal influences? Too bad. I for one respect Sepultura making an ode to they're jungle roots and while I don't rate this album as high as the reviewer, it is far from being Sepultura' worst album, that title being more aptly applied to any effort with Derrick Green.
15.06.2008 - 00:23
mutha
9.9 !!! ?? WTF:nogood:
15.06.2008 - 00:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Overrated as hell....
I'll give it something between 6,5 or 7
It's just boring.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2008 - 04:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
I actually really enjoyed it, despite nu-metal tendencies, but then again, I havn't really listened to any other Sepultura so I couldnt say how it is compared to their other stuff.

EDIT: Still not worth a 9.9.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.07.2008 - 13:42
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
This is the worst Sepultura album with Max Cavalera.
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
16.08.2008 - 15:45
Rating: 4
Elio
Red Nightmare
what the hell?
9.9?
i'd say 6....
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
04.04.2009 - 09:30
flordimaria
Account deleted
I'd say 7! Roots was good...
But Against was better!!!
22.05.2009 - 22:55
This is a very strange album for me... at first I hated it but for some strange reason I now like it xD but just worth a 7.5
22.05.2009 - 23:00
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Written by Uirapuru on 30.03.2008 at 01:02

Almost perfect album, everything a tribal metal fan can ask. This is Sepultura best album (followed closely by Beneath the remains) because it have the touch of something very important: Originallity. And that make this album better (in my opinion) than others from trash metal.

tribal metal?
23.05.2009 - 03:52
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 22.05.2009 at 23:00

Written by Uirapuru on 30.03.2008 at 01:02

Almost perfect album, everything a tribal metal fan can ask. This is Sepultura best album (followed closely by Beneath the remains) because it have the touch of something very important: Originallity. And that make this album better (in my opinion) than others from thrash metal.

tribal metal?

You know... music with tribal elements in general... in the songs and in the lyrical content. They're not only ''Tribal Metal'', but I like this kind of classification.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
23.05.2009 - 04:25
Lord_Regnier
I never really listened to Sepultura, so I can't compare with their other albums but "Roots" sucks major ass. Boring as hell.

I listened to all songs on the net and it was fucking terrible, like Pyroleprechaun said.

By the way, originality is one thing, but when the end result sucks, it doesn't matter if it's original or not, it's not enjoyable. I prefer by far getting something that is not original (more classic) but well-done and interesting to hear than garbage that tries to be original but is unlistenable in the end.

I would bet 100$ that people would not even care for this album and talk of it if "Sepultura" wasn't printed on the cover.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.09.2009 - 11:39
BudDa
elite
I found it ok. Enjoyable at times. I think a 7.5 would be fitting.
and yes, Max even states that korn was a major inspiration to him writing this album
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
14.11.2011 - 10:11
Rating: 7
Andr3sfc
"10"? Extremely overrated.

The only good songs from it are "Bloody Roots" (hymn), "Attitude" (a gem) and "Ambush".

Take out the tracks forementioned and you have a "nu-metallish" album with a lot of fillers.
21.11.2011 - 23:29
Rating: 10
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I thought it was good. I tend to favor experimental (for their time) albums though.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
22.11.2011 - 10:22
Rating: 6
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hmm... this is an album that I feel is at once both hugely overrated, and also nowhere near as awful as some make out. "Roots" is one of those albums that most either seem to think is amazing, or one of the worst metal albums of all time. I myself don't agree with either of those views.

It feels to all intents and purposes, like nu metal with tribal elements and a slight touch of thrash. And as a nu metal album, it's certainly a cut above most albums in that genre. The album is far too long, but when it does hit the spot like on "Spit", "Ambush", or the rightfully regarded as a classic "Roots Bloody Roots", it's very enjoyable. It's definitely far off from being a 10/10 though. "Arise" is their only album I would give that rating to.
07.12.2011 - 16:04
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Great review! I found good momments listening this album. The song "Ratamahatta" just make my day!
But, Arise was better!
22.09.2012 - 18:22
Sepulnation
At least a 7
----
fuck shit up!
22.09.2012 - 22:15
Rating: 4
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Sepulnation on 22.09.2012 at 18:22

At least a 7

It could go to 5 or even less than that. Well, to my fucking honest opinion the amount of work Max implemented in this was surely not cent percent delivered. "Roots" gotta deep gorges of heavy criticisms where album shunned into nothing but "one hell of boring" stuff but while on the other side, few songs really impressed me alot. But, then again mixed reactions can sabotage my biased opinion. Fairly mixed reaction ratings I would insist. It could go to 4 or even 9 I guess. IMO it deserves 8.
27.10.2020 - 20:58
Rating: 7
BlankFile
Nowhere near a 10, not at all. This is the álbum that confirmed the new version of Sepultura and the departure of
the Cavalera brothers. A more groovy, tribal, heavy metal álbum that somewhat felt a little bit short. It varies between good and average. It marked the end of an era in the band.

Songs like "Roots Bloody Roots", "Attitude", "Ratamahatta", "Breed Apart" and "Endangered Species" are the highlights for me.

Hits total: 13650 | This month: 16