Metal Storm logo
Joe Satriani - Rock Café, Tallinn, Estonia, 19.10.2015

Written by: Ivor
Published: 28.10.2015

Galleries:

Joe Satriani - Rock Café, Tallinn, Estonia, 19.10.2015 by Ivor (25)

For many, Joe Satriani is an idol to look up to, a teacher to learn from, and an example to follow. The hands of this guitar god are so nimble that you wouldn't believe it unless you saw him play. His influence in guitar music is unquestionable whether you like his music or not. You have to see him play at least once in your life. So, when this man is in town, you really should go out to a show.

Dan Patlansky

I somewhat underestimated the interest in Joe Satriani. When I hit the venue, the line was stretching far outside the doors. When I stepped inside with not a moment to spare, Dan Patlansky, a talented South African blues guitarist, was already on stage finishing what I suppose was his first song. Patlansky looks like a man of considerable guitar skills himself, but was unfortunately not given much time to showcase his prowess. By my estimation he was allotted maybe a 20-minute time-slot, a window way too short by any reasonable convention.

Having debated reasons for going to the show until almost the very last moment, I frankly knew nothing of who was in Satriani's backing band. It was safe to assume that they were no less than very skilled and seasoned musicians. You have to be, if you're laying musical foundations for the guitar master. Turns out the band consisted of Mike Keneally on second guitar and keyboards, Bryan Beller on bass, and no less than Marco Minnemann on drums.

While Satriani was running his nimble fingers up and down the guitar neck effortlessly right from the very first notes, it did look like the whole band took a while to really get going. It was also apparent that the show would naturally be very heavily centred on Satriani despite the incredible backing band. It was, however, somewhat humorous to look at Marco drumming out fours with a look clearly saying he could do this in his sleep all night long and still be fresh as daisies in the morning.

Joe Satriani - Hands of a guitar god

The initial impression left something to be desired, especially since I love Marco's drumming and have seen what he does live before. Thinking that the other guys would play second fiddle for the whole show was a little disheartening. As the show went on, however, they all got their say at one point or another, be that as a fence-off with Satriani or a complete solo spot when Satch stepped into shadows and observed his partners appreciatively.

Having seen a couple of other guitar guys play, like Richie Kotzen, Paul Gilbert, and Steve Vai, I have to say that Joe Satriani shares one common trait with them. I feel their music as well as live performances tend to be more of a show-case of various playing techniques and skills rather than a musical, compositional journey. I'm not a musician, though, just a listener who doesn't know how to play any instrument, so my opinion in this regard is probably void anyway. Not to downplay the skills and the compositions, but to me it does get somewhat tiresome when it tends to be the amount of notes that matters, song-in and song-out, regardless of how they fit into the bigger picture. Which is probably the reason why I don't tend to listen to the albums from guys like Satriani.

I also get a bit put off by the mannerisms and smug looks that ask the audience every moment if they saw that last bit, all those notes and all, and that other bit they just did. Yes, Satch as well as other guys know that, with a rare exception, they're probably good beyond anyone in the audience, but praise is not really something you demand while you play. You earn it. Which shouldn't really be too hard for them. In his bearing Marco is probably the exception to this rule, as he looked somewhat humbly ashamed for his skilful drum solo.

Joe Satriani

As good as Satch is on guitar, and as good as his compositions are, what rubs me the wrong way is that the whole show is staged as a huge ego-trip. Admittedly, it's primarily an ego trip of a man whose skills are unquestionably deserving of praise, but rubbing it in for the duration of the whole performance is something I feel alienated by. I wouldn't have ever thought it possible that I'd say this, but as a show I liked Europe's recent performance far more than Satriani's. They had this something that Satch lacked. I still love to see Marco play the drums, though.

Written on 28.10.2015 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 53 users
28.10.2015 - 12:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Anything from Flying In A Blue Dream ?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.10.2015 - 14:24
Ivor
Staff
Written by Bad English on 28.10.2015 at 12:54

I honestly don't know. I'm not versed in Satriani albums. Your best bet is to check setlist.fm or something.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
29.10.2015 - 14:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ivor on 29.10.2015 at 14:24

Written by Bad English on 28.10.2015 at 12:54

I honestly don't know. I'm not versed in Satriani albums. Your best bet is to check setlist.fm or something.

I.

I like that album, only where eh offers his voice and sings
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.10.2015 - 14:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
The man is amazing. I do agree that his shows are a bit too "egocentric" but it is all about him after all.

Loved to see him live back in 2007 or something. Just wished he played more stuff off of The Extremist though
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.11.2015 - 10:17
Ivor
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 31.10.2015 at 14:15

The man is amazing. I do agree that his shows are a bit too "egocentric" but it is all about him after all.

And isn't it a bit of a shame that it's rather more about the man himself than his music?

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
02.11.2015 - 13:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 31.10.2015 at 14:15

Loved to see him live back in 2007 or something. Just wished he played more stuff off of The Extremist though

I saw Satriani a couple of times in 1990/91/92/93 and 94.
Amazing guitarist of the guitar teacher of the stars.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.11.2015 - 19:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.11.2015 at 13:44

I saw Satriani a couple of times in 1990/91/92/93 and 94.
Amazing guitarist of the guitar teacher of the stars.

So that was around the time of The Extremist *jealous* ;/

Ivor, I suppose it is kinda sad but it would be boring otherwise. It is instrumental music after all and it needs something to keep people interested. I think his persona helps with that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.11.2015 - 20:19
ADIresiduos

I agree with BloodTears.
I'm a big fan of Satriani since Surfing with the Alien; love his music. I've never seen him live but I've seen his DVDs; he puts on great shows with special guests and solos from his backing band and stuff. He has to be a showman, not just a guitar player, or else the audience might lose interest at some point of the show.
When you go to a concert you go to a show, not just to see musicians playing live, we all expect to see a full on show.... and he does this very well.
Ivor is not a Satriani fan, and that's fine; so I guess we fans really enjoy seeing this guy play live because we know his music and like him as the guitar master he is.

Hits total: 4334 | This month: 5