Release date: April 2015

01. Senses Of The Nonexistent
02. Interzone IV: Intoxicating Beauty
03. Advent Of My Genesis
04. Interzone V: Ignorance Is Bliss
05. Kyôrakushugi
06. Interzone VI: Realization
07. Soul Ruiner

Never underestimate the power of curiosity; a catalyst for doors yet to be open.

The members behind Chaos Echœs come from a rare, and often marvelous, breed of musicians. Their debut is a fine example of what can be accomplished if artists devote themselves to eclecticism. To be able to explore and fully embrace different styles of art, take a step back and wonder "what can I create of all this?" A maelstrom of psychedelic darkness, that's what.

Bear in mind that this entire album has been improvised. This choice of songwriting is daring and can easily backfire. No worries here though as the French collective took all they could learn from jazz and experimental music to back up their bizarre concept of metal. A phrase by the famous jazz musician Wayne Shorter became their motto: "To hell with the rules, I'm going for the unknown."

And to hell we shall also go. The backbone of Transient is made up of mostly death/doom, but to leave it at that would be a gross misinterpretation of this work. Black metal, drone, noise, ambient, psychedelic rock and the aforementioned jazz influences crawl into your ears and penetrate your subconscious. Everything feels clear and in place which makes the improvisation element even more astonishing and magical. The drums constantly evoke a ritualistic atmosphere and it wouldn't be too crazy to view parts of this album as music to meditate with. The gradual progression of the dissonant riffs with disorienting leads on top also accentuates this mind-altering vibe.

Transient is a largely instrumental affair which isn't surprising given the premise of the band's style. Vocals do appear every now and then though, and they cover as much range as the music. From chants like in the foreboding "Senses Of The Nonexistent" to venomous whispers and confusing layers of screams found in "Advent Of My Genesis". A particular highlight would be "Interzone VI: Realization" where the band channels the bizarreness of bands like Sunn O))) while also adding vocals comparable to the great Attila Csihar.

If curiosity calls upon you, making you want to see the molds of extreme metal being broken, do yourself a favor and experience one of the most intriguing metal albums of the year. Go for the unknown.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 31.10.2015 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 314 users
31.10.2015 - 16:55
Lit.
Account deleted
Cool.
31.10.2015 - 17:33
Rupert

Written by Guest on 31.10.2015 at 16:55

Cool.

What he said ^
31.10.2015 - 17:56
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
AOTY for me at the moment and I only really see Sunn O))) in December as having the potential to top it
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.11.2015 - 09:38
toxx
Supreme being
This is awesome stuff. Spun this one more than a few times since the release
03.11.2015 - 12:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Death/doom sounds interesting, I never have heard this one, somehow I am slow whit catching up whit staff reviews, missed last 4 well latest 2 was brand new, so will check this band out soon
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.11.2015 - 13:51
Hellcult

No thank You, this is propably the worst album i've heard this year so far!
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
03.11.2015 - 14:52
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Hellcult on 03.11.2015 at 13:51
No thank You, this is propably the worst album i've heard this year so far!

Really? Well, that's a shame. Then again, I'm not surprised. Clearly not for everybody.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2015 - 13:55
Daniell
_爱情_
Somehow this album does nothing for me. What others praise as eclecticism, and innvation sounds like a disointed mess to me. I'll try again I guess, perhaps I missed the whole point of this album.
04.11.2015 - 15:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I must be way too used to weird stuff because I find the album's flow so clear and complete. The songwriting runs so smoothly into all the different movements I don't understand how it could be disjointed as it pretty much goes right where I expect it to go. Hell, I even find it easy to get into.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.11.2015 - 04:25
thisempty

Songwriting? Didn't you said the album was all improvised?
10.11.2015 - 08:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by thisempty on 10.11.2015 at 04:25
Songwriting? Didn't you said the album was all improvised?

When reviewing, I see songwriting as the quality of the music and its structure per se. The fact that it's improvised doesn't really change a thing. In fact, it makes it better in this case as the result is coherent and well structured.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2016 - 16:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 31.10.2015 at 17:56
I only really see Sunn O))) in December as having the potential to top it

Hahahahahahahahahaha you poor bastard!
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2016 - 16:47
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.01.2016 at 16:37

Hahahahahahahahahaha you poor bastard!

Yeah, now I've got an extra sharp grudge against the band for proving me wrong on MS. That's a capital offense
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 6565 | This month: 4