06. Lucretia
07. Tornado Of Souls
08. Dawn Patrol
09. Rust In Peace...Polaris
10. My Creation [2004 re-released bonus]
11. Rust In Peace...Polaris [demo] [2004 re-released bonus]
12. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due [demo] [2004 re-released bonus]
13. Take No Prisoners [demo] [2004 re-released bonus]

1990 is a year to be remembered in the history of heavy metal. And it has to be said that the US Megadeth have made a lot for it with the launch of their cataclysmic opus, Rust In Peace. After three albums of good quality the four guys decided to release a (nuclear) bomb that has become a landmark in the metal world.
Dave Mustaine publicly reveals his genius, accompanied by his old mate Dave Ellefson. For this album, Mustaine has hired a new guitarist, Marty Friedman, and a drummer, Nick Menza. The first impression when you hear this album, is its pure, almost uncontrolled strength, that changes every riff into an earthquake.The guitars are omnipresent, they rhythm, without any moment of weakness, the lyrics, resolutely anti military and full of nuclear apocalypse. In this point of view, the excellent ?Holy wars? is a titanic opening. This track can be considered as a symbol of all the rage and determination that the album contains, as it combines heavy repeating riffs and guitar flights. This only track can justify the purchase of this album. Because it's a boost that allows the other tracks to be linked together with a great fluidity.
?Hangar 18?, another cult track, makes us catch a glimpse of Marty Friedman's virtuosity, with a final solo that leaves you breathless and a rhythm that is simply orgasmic... And the following songs, ?Tornado of souls?, ?Take no prisoners? or ?Five magics? are once again fast, powerful and shaking tracks that confirm the skill and the inventiveness of MegaDave in quest for the perfect riff and for the harmony between men and instruments. Also Marty Friedman can's stop being impressive because of his technical ease and his original and magnificent phrasing.

Moreover, this album, far from being perpetually savage, shows off some moments of ?calm before the storm?, with the intro of ?Poison was the cure? and the very unhealthy ?Dawn patrol?. This last one is the prelude to the title-track ?Rust in peace...Polaris?, that definitely finishes you off with its infernal rhythm and its shooting chorus, strengthened by the extent of Mustaine's voice who makes a real vocal feat during the whole album. To sum up, this album is a pearl of homogeneity and technical inventiveness. The sound of every instrument is nearly perfect, and that creates an equilibrium that had maybe never been reached by a heavy metal band. The faults (which faults?) are so insignificant that they are not even worth being discussed.
Stop it all, the mass is over, get your handkerchieves out.
It shall be Rust in Peace or nothing, probably the best heavy metal album of all time. Just cult...

Written by | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
The year is 1990, and the 80's thrash scene will soon fade into the backdrop. There seems to be no hope for this genre beyond but a few bands, but only one of these bands was needed; Megadeth. Since the last album, Dave have ousted Chuck Behler and Jeff Young, and replaced them with Nick Menza and Guitar Giant Marty Friedman. With Political and Societal themes ready to launch, Megadeth was ready to make their fans Rust in Peace.

Read more ››
published 17.01.2009 | Comments (21)

Comments

Comments: 52   Visited by: 442 users
10.03.2007 - 20:13
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I finally got around to getting this album, its amazing, definitly worth that score. Good review.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.03.2007 - 03:55
Bitch Boy

This is album has very good sound but only the first songs are really great stuff, then it turns a little bit boring. You're review is well written, but the rating is too high.
09.04.2007 - 03:25
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Definetly the best Megadeth album and one of the best Thrash albums of all time.

Every song in there rules but i always thought the songs were arranged in a bad order, e.g. I really think the first song of the album should've been Hanger 18 cause of it's cool begining.
09.04.2007 - 21:11
Rating: 10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Great Review, It's my favorite MD album. But I think that he did miss one thing, it's .1 away from the score it should be.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
24.10.2007 - 18:44
m3ta1he4d

Rust In Peace is my favorite Megadeth album.. This album is all about the thrash metal / speed metal genre.. Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls are my favorite tracks in this record..
03.11.2007 - 04:39
Rating: 8
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Argh, I agree with Bitch Boy. Thrash my ass. This was totally disappointing half-speed heavy metal, although not as disappointing as Countdown, still has nothing on Peace Sells.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
03.11.2007 - 09:29
Desecrator

Written by Bitch Boy on 14.03.2007 at 03:55

This is album has very good sound but only the first songs are really great stuff, then it turns a little bit boring. You're review is well written, but the rating is too high.

You're a tool, this is a defining album of the thrash metal genre, along with Master of Puppets. Idiot.
03.11.2007 - 12:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Definately my Megadeth's favourite. I'm not a megadeth fanatic, hardly, but I really love this album. My favourite song? I cant really decide thats why its so good. And the solos are outstanding, not mentioning the general riffs. A definite "headbanger".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.11.2007 - 13:11
Deadsoulman

Written by Desecrator on 03.11.2007 at 09:29

Written by Bitch Boy on 14.03.2007 at 03:55

You're a tool, this is a defining album of the thrash metal genre, along with Master of Puppets. Idiot.

Opinions, people, opinions... No need to call people idiots because they don't agree with you.
03.11.2007 - 14:45
Stalker
Lone wanderer
No matter what other people say, this is for me on of the strongest albums... And definitely 'Deth's best. Tastes are different, but Im totally supporting the review... Although Id be little more carefull with rating, but its not too far!
----
29.11.2007 - 10:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Syk on 03.11.2007 at 04:39

Argh, I agree with Bitch Boy. Thrash my ass. This was totally disappointing half-speed heavy metal, although not as disappointing as Countdown, still has nothing on Peace Sells.

If you think this isn't thrash, then you got no idea what thrash is apparently. Thrash can also be slow. But I do agree that Peace Sells is far superior.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.11.2007 - 12:05
Rating: 8
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Then I must have no idea what thrash is... I think calling this thrash is like calling Maiden thrash, it's just wrong. Review coming soon - maybe...
Although I might take back what I said about not as disappointing as Countdown, considering how highly praised this particular one is
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
29.11.2007 - 19:27
Harmonic
Account deleted
Although Megadeth play fast, they don't bring enough aggression to their music. Mustaine is more a self-styled virtuoso than a thrasher. He just doesn't have it in him. Rust in Peace is good, but I'll take 80s Metallica over the best of Megadeth any day.
29.11.2007 - 21:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
can't believe i never posted here. a fantastic album, definetely in my top ten all time faves, the 4 shorter songs in the middle are just good, the rest is superb! i especially love the way "rust in peace...polaris" chorus ends, then just one moment to breathe, and then again the monster riffage
05.01.2008 - 22:39
Tod_Engel

Mega-Dave did he's finest hour with this release. Also Marty Friedman gives a very good performance, he's great (so are he's solo albums). Damn, every song is just a killer. Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls are my favourites. The soloing is outrageous and they're full of emotion, especially in Tornado of Souls. Other songs aren't bad, they're just a bit weaker, in my opinion. Dawn Patrol is the weirdest song, because there isn't any guitar used. Just 2 minutes of bass lines. All in all Rust in Peace deserves it's praise, it isn't overrated.
05.01.2008 - 23:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Although Hangar 18 is my favourite of this album I do think that the guitar line in the chorus has been "borrowed" from, or "inspired by" A Fools Gold/Terminal Humor/Mind Wars by Holy Terror. Between the 4th and 5th minute of this song you'll hear the exact same one but in a different pitch and at a slightly different speed.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2008 - 00:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
Best Megadeth songs ever: Tornado of Souls, Holy Wars...The Punishment Due and Hangar 18. When will Dave compose a song that's even near the quality of these three?
----
06.01.2008 - 04:37
deadset61
Account deleted
Good review man. It is worth that score for sure still my favorite album by them.:banger:
07.02.2008 - 21:27
Demonmayonnaise

I love this album. Not my favorite Megadeth album, but pretty damn close.
15.03.2008 - 14:46
Samuel550
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 19:27

Although Megadeth play fast, they don't bring enough aggression to their music. Mustaine is more a self-styled virtuoso than a thrasher. He just doesn't have it in him. Rust in Peace is good, but I'll take 80s Metallica over the best of Megadeth any day.

Pah, I'd take Peace Sells over Master of Puppets and Rust In Peace over any Metallica album before and after that, and Countdown To Extinction was way better then the Black Album. I like Metallica's early stuff and all, but Megadeth have done more for me as a metal band. And just because Metallica were more of a Thrash metal band doesn't mean Megadeth didn't create better music. I'll even go as far as saying that Dave Mustaine was/is a better guitarist then Kirk Hammet; Mustaine has actual texture and technicality in his playing, Hammet just relies on a bunch of long ass solos which are pretty boring half the time.

As for the album; stellar, memorable. And anyone who doesn't concider this thrash metal at it's best is a lying sceptic bastard. HA!
29.08.2008 - 15:22
Elio
Red Nightmare
Amazing album. And still thanks to the guitar hero which is Marty Friedman and the great drummer Nick Menza.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.09.2008 - 06:38
iMorphball

Probably the best thrash metal album of all time. Nothing beats Poison Was The Cure, Rust In Peace, Take No Prisoners... Come to think of it, I cant think of anything better. That's right, not even Master of Puppets. I still think it'd be a kickass idea if Megadeth covered Battery though!

10/10, #1 Thrash Metal Album of all time.
22.09.2008 - 20:09
Demonmayonnaise

I really enjoy this album, but I honestly think that Peace Sells is better. This is one of my top 10 albums for sure though.
21.11.2008 - 00:45
Fat & Sassy!

Mustaine for president!
21.11.2008 - 11:37
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Today I listened to "Master Of Puppets" and "Rust In Peace" and let me say that this second really outstands (is that the correct word to express awsomeness?) the first, Rust In Peace is a great work, I can't think of Mustaine making something better than this in the future. No doubt that this is one of the best metal albums (call it heavy, thrash, speed, whatever you want) of all times. This is one of those albums that you should listen before you die, simple as that.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
22.11.2008 - 01:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Daggon on 21.11.2008 at 11:37

Today I listened to "Master Of Puppets" and "Rust In Peace" and let me say that this second really outstands (is that the correct word to express awsomeness?) the first, Rust In Peace is a great work, I can't think of Mustaine making something better than this in the future. No doubt that this is one of the best metal albums (call it heavy, thrash, speed, whatever you want) of all times. This is one of those albums that you should listen before you die, simple as that.

Then why don't you go ahead and vote in this thread.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
24.03.2009 - 19:37
Xeros612

Not quite a 9.9 in my opinion, but a very good album indeed.
10.06.2009 - 23:14
Metalforever
Account deleted
For me, the single most powerful, technically brilliant, hurricane of aggresion I have ever heard. This album even makes the mighty Master of Puppets sound weak and bland. Mage-Dave and Marty have really outdone themselves; nothing on this album sticks out like the guitar work! Greatest single Metal Album of all time, uncontended..
19.06.2009 - 10:41
terrorist

Masterpiece,there is no doubt in that.I can't belive that the song Rust in Peace...Polaris was originly made during the first album.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
19.06.2009 - 15:12
Bobby_Loggins
Account deleted
I'm a huge megadeth fan but im afraid this album isnt as great as people make out and im going to have a major winge about it! Firstly it's not the best Megadeth album! "Peace Sells" is the best and "So far So Good So What" a close second. Secondly its not the worlds greatest thrash album mainly for the fact that apart from Take No Prisoners it's not really a thrash album!

I mean for one, the songs are way too long! Hangar 18 and Holy wars are a prime example. Both great songs but for some reason they felt the need to add those god damn solo sections! To make it even worse here's Marty Friedman! Not even a thrash guitarist and he definately doesnt play thrash solos! It's like steve Vai dropping in to shoot his load over a perfectly good Megadeth song! I mean come on Holy Wars even has that flamenco bullshit. If you dont agree then please go and search out the demos for Rust In Peace that they recorded before Friedman joined and tell me they're not 10 times better!

The production is also for more cleaned up and the song writing far more reserved in terms of intensity of which previous albums were oozing. The songs are for too melodic "tornado of souls?" "Lucretia?" This stuff isnt thrash people!

Anyway what im trying to say is Rust In Peace is a very progressive thrash album. Still a good album (shame about the solos) i just hate it when people refer to it as the greatest thrash album ever! How can this be when it has maybe 2 thrash songs on the whole record! If you want great thrash then check out Dave Mustaine at his angriest "Peace Sells" and "So Far So Good, So What" !

Bring on September "ENDGAME"

Hits total: 19834 | This month: 15