Metal Storm logo
Draugar (US Depressive Black Metal)

11.03.2007 - 13:54
Angel Deformity
Azathoth

Draugar is the creation of Hildorf and is based in San Francisco, USA. The one man band was formed in 2002 and have 2 full length albums (From Which Hatred Grows and Weathering the Curse) as well as three demos. The first demo was released on hand number very limited cdr and with a hand written booklet second demo (Realizations Obscured) was released with 200 copies (2 songs no titles) and the third demo was titled Silence and Suffering. All demos where released in the space of 2 years.

Now onto the music, Draugar's sound is very different... alot more focus on being raw and the vocals resemble tortured wails and growls like someone is in great pain. Occassional use of un distorted guitars with ambience is used well as is the repetitive drumming style associated with the style of black metal.
The lyrics dwell on the topics of hatred, misanthropy, depression, suicide and solitude/intentional isolation.

I've got both Full lenghts and i reckon From Which Hatred Grows is better than the last release Weathering the Curse, for me anyways. So i made this thread to discuss Draugar and to voice any opinions on the topic of the band as well as when applicable mentioning Hildorf's work with US Black Metal Supergroup Twilight (Also contains Wrest - Leviathan, Lord Imperial - Krieg, Azentrius - Nachtmystium)

DISCUSS!!
11.03.2007 - 16:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Never heard of them. I'll try downloading some stuff.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.03.2007 - 03:42
Zombie, M.D.

I heard Weathering the Curse when it was released and thought it was pretty derivative and a dry listen. All those "depressive" bands are a dime a dozen.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
12.03.2007 - 05:51
tulkas
el parcero
any web site with mp3 samples or anything we can listen to? it does sound interesting
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
12.03.2007 - 21:46
Damnated
Churchburner
Draugar is one of those usbm bands that i never enjoyed. i find them boring and untalented. they really don't bring anything new, just the same tortured screams and raw basement music.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.03.2007 - 21:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Listened to them and I am afraid I must agree with Zombie & Damnated here. Nothing too special.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.03.2007 - 01:25
Angel Deformity
Azathoth
Ok, so you're all saying this band is just like every other depressive black metal band ey? Well if you are all so sure of this WHO DO THEY SOUND LIKE? IMO they have a unique raw quality that other depressive black metal bands lack... Hildorf really seems to be able to get his vocals sounding like his throat is as dry and coarse as sandpaper, so for me thats unique.
27.03.2007 - 09:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I was pretty close to buying one of there albums the other day,but lately ive been having bad luck from pick up albums off a whim, so I chickened out. can someone tell me what bands they sort of sound like, or describe there sound to me.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin