03. Let Them Die
04. On Virgins Or Pigeons
05. Nasa's Lullabye
06. Reach Out
07. State Your God
08. Existe
09. Life Compressor
10. Let Them Die [Remix]

Virgins O.R. Pigeons were formed during 2002 in Greece and i'm really glad to see the Greek electro scene expanding as years pass by and, to be more specific, i'd like to say that not only this very scene is expanding but also has a lot to offer, without being afraid or in the shadow of bands from abroad. Virgins O.R. Pigeons are moving in dark electro/industrial/EBM soundscapes and they recently appeared from the underground in order to show to the audience how they sound like and what they can achieve. Having supported Blood, a well-known j-rock/visual kei band, and having played live with another upcoming band in the industrial scene of Greece, PreEmptive Strike 0.1, they managed to sign a contract with the japanese label Cure for their upcoming debut album that is about to be released.

"Place No Reliance", this is the title of their debut full-length work and the cover artwork in purple and black paces well with the name of the band, not an exaggerating cover, simplistic, well-expressed and to the point! The lyrics move in anti-religion/anti-human-race/anti-hypocrisy oriented themes and harmonize in a very interesting way with the soundscapes the band is exploring! The album consists of 10 compositions, the 9 ones consisting of the "Place No Reliance" and a more guitar-driven remix of "Let Them Die". What is really remarkable and makes you enjoy the compositions even more is the fact that a variety of electronic expression is vivid through the whole duration of the album. The basic core of the song structure is dark electro/industrial (with references to bands like Amduscia, Suicide Commando and [:SITD:]), with the first part adding the more atmospheric and darker side and the second one the harsher part of the songs, and in the corner lies a more EBM approach with more melodic elements and the few but fabulous and expressive clean vocals. The synth-born melodies are entrancing and i love their slightly twisted feeling at times, they never remain static to a specific melody/idea, yet they unfold quality melodies in the air, creating intense atmospheres that never fail to surround the listener. The guitars whenever they make their appearance they evoke a lurking dynamic feeling in the background since their music is mainly based on the synthesizers, the vocals and the beat. And last but not least come the vocals! The extreme distorted vocals sound so unearthly and menacing, pacing wonderfully with the distressing synth-born melodies and lyrics, whereas the clean melodic ones add a sense of emotion and variety in the compositions, something very positive since they are unerring and so expressive!

All in all, "Place No Reliance" is a strong debut album, very promising for the future of the band, showing that they can achieve a lot more in the forthcoming era. Atmospheric and intense compositions with very interesting production which strengthens them, making every single instrument partaking in the final outcome vivid. The songs that really caught my attention and i love listening to have to be the dynamic "Pestilence", the powerful and atmospheric "Let Them Die", the twisted "Existe" and the intense "On Virgins Or Pigeons". This band not only needs your support because it now begins its course in the world of music, but also because they have a lot to offer and promise a brighter future in the dark!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 11.03.2007 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 9 users
11.03.2007 - 19:31
Rupert
Sounds like something I should check out. Good review.
13.03.2007 - 17:38
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I just checked their mySpace, and deffinitely I have to get this. I highly agree is very promising.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.03.2007 - 10:50
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Hmm...just checked their MySpace. And being a fan of techno as well as metal I must say this is really good. Sounds like it's worth getting. Very promising debut album indeed
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep

Hits total: 2982 | This month: 16