06. Fenrir Hunts
07. Root Of The Mountain
08. Endless
09. Riding On The Wind [Judas Priest cover] [bonus]
10. Nebular Ravens Winter [Immortal cover] [bonus]

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Seven years and a blizzard of litigation have passed since we last heard the batrachoid gnarring of Immortal frontman and painty-faced Boston terrier Abbath. Amidst internal struggles and various controversies, what was supposed to be a glorious return to fame quickly descended into an uncomfortable mistake. Frolic at the heart of winter for too long and you're bound to catch cold.

Read more ››
published 08.07.2016 | Comments (37)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 45   Visited by: 921 users
17.11.2015 - 16:45
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Fucking awful cover. Hope the album is atleast decent.
18.11.2015 - 21:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 3rdWorld on 17.11.2015 at 16:45

Fucking awful cover. Hope the album is atleast decent.

I agree, like I toild this might be satanized , because he chose way to satanistic line up . guys who are famous playing in more satanistic BM
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.11.2015 - 22:19
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^So the lyrics we already know are a shit. Now let's hear the music ^.^
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.11.2015 - 23:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 18.11.2015 at 22:19

^So the lyrics we already know are a shit. Now let's hear the music ^.^

IMO song titles are OK, can be better, etleats about not hell, and typical gorgoroth style lyrics what has no artistic value
----

apos;'
[image]
07.01.2016 - 07:39
Joe Zombie
I'm liking what I've heard so far. Always been a fan of Immortal/Abbath's sound.
12.01.2016 - 18:35
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
This album leaked and out of curiosity I "acquired" a copy to see if it sounded like I. Because if it did it would sound amazing, yes.

I already deleted my copy.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
12.01.2016 - 18:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 12.01.2016 at 18:35

This album leaked and out of curiosity I "acquired" a copy to see if it sounded like I. Because if it did it would sound amazing, yes.

It's already up on Bandcamp =P https://abbath1.bandcamp.com/album/abbath

I heard a few tracks, it sounded ok. Had that pleasing warm. nostalgia glow of Abbath's croaks. Not sure I would listen to it much though.

[edit]

Thinking about it I'm wondering if that's a fake Abbath Bandcamp... in fact it quite clearly is, despite being the actual songs from it.
12.01.2016 - 19:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.01.2016 at 18:40

I heard a few tracks, it sounded ok. Had that pleasing warm. nostalgia glow of Abbath's croaks. Not sure I would listen to it much though.

[edit]

Thinking about it I'm wondering if that's a fake Abbath Bandcamp... in fact it quite clearly is, despite being the actual songs from it.

listed as Sweden
----

apos;'
[image]
12.01.2016 - 19:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.01.2016 at 18:40

[edit]

check out pending news, seems someone simply make own page and took all songs from news , its online, soom Ana will accept it
----

apos;'
[image]
12.01.2016 - 19:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.01.2016 at 19:04

listed as Sweden

And the fact it's on sale now, when it's not meant to be, and because there's a whole other account with all the pertinent info https://abbath.bandcamp.com/
12.01.2016 - 19:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.01.2016 at 19:12

listed as Sweden

And the fact it's on sale now, when it's not meant to be, and because there's a whole other account with all the pertinent info https://abbath.bandcamp.com/

well matter of time fake site will be shut down
----

apos;'
[image]
12.01.2016 - 21:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I tried this out, I don't know what to make of this, its Abbath, but ha sno Nordic magic, what Immortal had, I dunno, what to make of this album?
----

apos;'
[image]
13.01.2016 - 09:14
Joe Zombie
Typical Abbath, some great riffy tracks, others not so much. Overall I found it to be enjoyable but nothing special. I agree with K7. It is missing something that I can't put my finger on.
14.01.2016 - 08:28
Rating: 7
Sang Dalang Abu
Does this album sound good? still grim? mix Immortal and Gorgoroth?
Spoiler please
14.01.2016 - 16:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 14.01.2016 at 08:28

Does this album sound good? still grim? mix Immortal and Gorgoroth?
Spoiler please

listen it and judge
----

apos;'
[image]
17.01.2016 - 03:03
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Bad English on 12.01.2016 at 19:17

Written by Guest on 12.01.2016 at 19:12

listed as Sweden

well matter of time fake site will be shut down

And now there's other Bandcamp page around =D
----
- Reimu Hakurei
23.01.2016 - 00:55
Alondate
Sounds absolutely amazing! Abbath is the catchiest black metal album i have ever listened to. You like it at your first listen. Surely i will grind this album for months. I hope new Immortal (or maybe Demonaz) stuff will be as great as this. Thanks Abbath
26.01.2016 - 06:41
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Man I love Immortal and Immortal accessory bands
27.01.2016 - 12:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Can someone who has a copy tell me who's playing the drums on this? It reminds me a bit of the drumming on Pure holocaust and Battles In The North and I'm wondering if it's Abbath behind the kit again.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.01.2016 - 04:14
Lord_Regnier
Written by M C Vice on 27.01.2016 at 12:08

Can someone who has a copy tell me who's playing the drums on this? It reminds me a bit of the drumming on Pure holocaust and Battles In The North and I'm wondering if it's Abbath behind the kit again.

It's supposed to be a man who calls himself "Creature", who is in fact Kevin Foley of Benighted.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.01.2016 - 04:52
Lord_Regnier
I listened to the entire album for the first time today.
I'm pleasantly surprised. For some reason, I didn't expect much from this but it's quite good.
A few vocals here and there are a bit weird but otherwise it sounds very much like Immortal's more recent albums.
I think it confirms that Abbath was the driving force behind Immortal.
----
28.01.2016 - 11:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.01.2016 at 04:52

I'm pleasantly surprised. For some reason, I didn't expect much from this but it's quite good.
A few vocals here and there are a bit weird but otherwise it sounds very much like Immortal's more recent albums.

He was the sole composer in Immortal after Demonaz couldn't play anymore. Who wrote the lyrics this time? Abbath only wrote 1 song in Immortal.
----
28.01.2016 - 20:35
Rating: 10
fosi
Written by Tony Teh Towel on 24.01.2016 at 04:46

It makes me somewhat sad that this albums overall community rating is lower than the new Megadeth albums is

This Abbath album to me is pure fire, I rated it 10/10 cause you aren't realistically gonna hear a new black metal album any better than this

Megadeths new album is good, but they could easily be bested, if Havok puts out a new album that would be 10/10 thrash, this new Megadeths really more like 8/10. It's also bested by old Megadeth like Youthanasia & Rust In Peace.

But this Abbath album is so strong, I literally wouldn't rather listen to an old Immortal album over it, it's that good.

Well said man!!!
29.01.2016 - 02:01
Lord_Regnier
Written by M C Vice on 28.01.2016 at 11:03

Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.01.2016 at 04:52

He was the sole composer in Immortal after Demonaz couldn't play anymore. Who wrote the lyrics this time? Abbath only wrote 1 song in Immortal.

I knew Abbath was the composer since he took over guitar duties after Daemonaz could not play anymore. And I knew Abbath could come up with very good riffs but still, I didn't expect this album to be that good.

I have no idea who wrote the lyrics but they are very close to Immortal's lyrics. Apart from the fact that it doesn't speak of Blashyrkh and Ravendark it is pretty much the same subject matter. I believe that Abbath most likely didn't write the lyrics himself alone but he was involved in the lyrical process.

As much as I like Horgh as a drummer (and I like him very much) and have respect for Daemonaz, I can hardly imagine how they could keep Immortal alive without Abbath. Horgh is a drummer and as much as a drummer can be great behind the kit, a drummer doesn't compose riffs or melody. And I don't know if Daemonaz can still compose music. I mean that even if he cannot play guitar live in a band, it is still possible that he could play enough to compose and record music. The physical effort is not the same, so perhaps he still can (but I have no idea).

However, if I think about it, it comes down to this:
-Who is/was the image of the band? Abbath
-Who wrote the music since "At The Heart Of Winter"? Abbath
-Who did the vocals? Abbath

I can't think of any man on the Metal scene who could replace Abbath. Oh, some guys are more talented but no guitar player sounds exactly like Abbath. He's not the best guitarist but his riffs have his own recognizable signature.
As for vocals, no other Black Metal vocalist sounds like Abbath. He's not the only one with a croaky voice, of course, but his tone and delivery is distinctive. You instantly know it is Abbath when you hear him.

I will be very happy if Immortal can survive and come up with something very good but the guy who will take Abbath's position will have big shoes to fill.
When a man leaves his mark in a band as much as Abbath did in Immortal, he almost becomes the band, with all due respect to the other band members.

Anyway, good luck to all of them.
----
29.01.2016 - 02:53
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.01.2016 at 02:01

I can't think of any man on the Metal scene who could replace Abbath. Oh, some guys are more talented but no guitar player sounds exactly like Abbath. He's not the best guitarist but his riffs have his own recognizable signature.

I think someone on Youtube said it best: "Abbath is an average guitarist, who excels at playing his own riffs, in other words, he is the perfect guitarist".

However, this is an album that I enjoyed listening, but probably won't be revisiting any time soon.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
29.01.2016 - 07:30
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.01.2016 at 02:01

As for vocals, no other Black Metal vocalist sounds like Abbath. He's not the only one with a croaky voice, of course, but his tone and delivery is distinctive. You instantly know it is Abbath when you hear him.

I will be very happy if Immortal can survive and come up with something very good but the guy who will take Abbath's position will have big shoes to fill.
When a man leaves his mark in a band as much as Abbath did in Immortal, he almost becomes the band, with all due respect to the other band members.

Anyway, good luck to all of them.

They might need to find their own version of Ripper Owens.
----
29.01.2016 - 10:20
Daniell
_爱情_
elite

1. It makes me somewhat sad that this albums overall community rating is lower than the new Megadeth albums is

2. This Abbath album to me is pure fire, I rated it 10/10 cause you aren't realistically gonna hear a new black metal album any better than this

1. How on earth are you comparing ratings of two albums from two genres? These ratings have absolutely nothing do to with each other.

2. "Aren't realistically gonna hear"?? Are you a fortune-teller? Do you see the future? Can you PM me the next lottery numbers please?
29.01.2016 - 10:53
Paz
elite
Written by Daniell on 29.01.2016 at 10:20

1. It makes me somewhat sad that this albums overall community rating is lower than the new Megadeth albums is

1. How on earth are you comparing ratings of two albums from two genres? These ratings have absolutely nothing do to with each other.

1. He is just upset that Megadave's latest has a higher average rating than this one. None genre comparisions, just simply observation.
29.01.2016 - 11:41
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Paz on 29.01.2016 at 10:53

1. He is just upset that Megadave's latest has a higher average rating than this one. None genre comparisions, just simply observation.

I know that, but such a comparison is pointless. You might as well compare Abbath with a pair of jeans. And say "it's unfair, more people buy jeans than Abbath albums!".
30.01.2016 - 18:12
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Tony Teh Towel on 30.01.2016 at 15:25

Yes, I have been telling people the Panthers would win the superbowl since before the season started, and Donald Trump wins the presidency, Lottery numbers are far too volatile to zero in on at my present degree of ability however

I see.

Hits total: 14283 | This month: 37