Metal Storm logo
Tool - Update On New Album, Tease New Song Live

Here we go again with the Tool updates, some might think, but... according to an interview with the Rolling Stone magazine, it looks as if the guys in Tool are optimistic regarding the completion of their still untitled fifth studio album.

At least if you are to believe (guitarist) Adam Jones, who says: "Things are really flowing and going really well, and I'm just blown away at the stuff that's coming together. [...] I'd love to tour more. It's my favorite part about playing. But we do need to get back to the writing and get that record done, get some lyrics on it and make it really good. And then we can tour more [laughs]."

Other interesting things mentioned in the interview are that the band has gone up (from 10) to 20 different song ideas. Jones comments that: "20 won't be on the record. We're just jamming. But I'll tell you, there's nothing better than having too many good songs then not enough." He then goes on to say that there are even some lyrics written by (singer) M.J. Keenan but that everybody in the band finds it best to write the lyrics after the song is fully composed.

As always, we should take any news about a new Tool album with a truckload of salt, but with the energy-draining multi-million dollar lawsuit finally over, we can at least expect the album appearing sooner rather than later.

Last but not least, check out a teaser of a song called "Descending," to be featured in full on the upcoming Tool album. It is shortened from 13-14 minutes down to about 4 minutes. Adam Jones comments: "Yeah, the song's amazing. It's one of those things, too, where we're playing this 'movie trailer' version of it and we just want to go into the main part of it. The main part's the best part, I think, but we just don't want to give that away yet."

So all hope might not be lost for Tool fans around the world. Stay tuned! But first, listen to the 4 minutes of new Tool music.

Source: rollingstone.com
Band profile: Tool
Posted: 24.11.2015 by Netzach

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 17   Visited by: 314 users
24.11.2015 - 16:56
PocketMetal
Oh yes! I really doubt Adam Jones is flat-out lying about having 20 songs, so I'm feeling really optimistic.
24.11.2015 - 17:11
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
The new song sounds rather boring...not so optimistic.
24.11.2015 - 19:38
mz
The new song is not even a new song. It is intro/ build up/ etc leading to the main package, and it sounds so damn fantastic. The most anticipated album of my whole life.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
24.11.2015 - 20:02
Opethian
Written by PocketMetal on 24.11.2015 at 16:56

Oh yes! I really doubt Adam Jones is flat-out lying about having 20 songs, so I'm feeling really optimistic.

It's been almost 10 fucking years since 10,000 days and youre going to doubt his statement about having 20 songs!?!?! lmao ....
24.11.2015 - 21:20
Oh wait, it's a new Tool song that sounds just like every other Tool song. I guess if you love Tool that's great. I'm not sure if I'm no longer taking enough good drugs to enjoy Tool any more, or if they're taking way more than me when they're writing this stuff, but we're no longer on the same page.
24.11.2015 - 21:53
FYA
Destroyer
Wonder if 3Teeth will be featured there.
24.11.2015 - 22:55
Mechaniacal
That sounds incredible. Chills the whole time.
24.11.2015 - 23:23
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Written by LeKiwi on 24.11.2015 at 17:11

The new song sounds rather boring...not so optimistic.

So it sounds like Tool?
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
25.11.2015 - 00:01
Rupert
The first half sounds a lot like parts of the song Lateralus. I like where it's heading though.
25.11.2015 - 00:23
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 24.11.2015 at 23:23

So it sounds like Tool?

Yeah...most Tool.
25.11.2015 - 01:07
musclassia
Staff
I honestly don't know which will come first, a new Tool album or The Winds of Winter. And I don't know which will be more of a anti-climax. And yet I desperately want both, and every hint that either might come over the horizon sometime soon is just depressingly exciting. Lateralus is just an incredible album, and I've fallen for 10K days more over the past couple years, so my hopes for this are unreasonably high. Whilst the segment from Descending that's been played live isn't amazing, I like it quite a bit and it's somewhat promising that there'll be quality music on the upcoming album.
25.11.2015 - 06:44
afu
I just hope it meanders less than 10000 Days, because the title track and Wings for Marie feel like 10000 years to get through. Lateralus was damn near perfect and the ones before it were awesome. I hope they return to being creative with the arrangements and dynamics instead of textures, because they're definitely better at the former parts. They spent a lot of time layering sounds and getting odd tones, but that isn't a good substitute for solid songs.

Is it ok if we joke that Tool will release Chinese Democracy this decade?
25.11.2015 - 15:12
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by Rupert on 25.11.2015 at 00:01

The first half sounds a lot like parts of the song Lateralus. I like where it's heading though.

That was my first thought as well. Hope we get to hear the full version soon enough.

Written by afu on 25.11.2015 at 06:44

I just hope it meanders less than 10000 Days, because the title track and Wings for Marie feel like 10000 years to get through. Lateralus was damn near perfect and the ones before it were awesome. I hope they return to being creative with the arrangements and dynamics instead of textures, because they're definitely better at the former parts. They spent a lot of time layering sounds and getting odd tones, but that isn't a good substitute for solid songs.

Is it ok if we joke that Tool will release Chinese Democracy this decade?

10,000 Days was great but a bit uneven, a few songs weren't really up to par. This "Descending" song at least sounds more like Lateralus than 10,000 Days if you ask me.

And yeah, any jokes are ok when it comes to new Tool and Wintersun albums.
26.11.2015 - 03:10
CoolNameGuy91
Well that was underwhelming
30.11.2015 - 12:59
sivarT
Just sounds like a cool jam.
01.12.2015 - 03:19
ATG
Just sounds repetitious that's a joke if it took 10 years to right that lol worst than Wintersun
06.12.2015 - 07:38
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by ATG on 01.12.2015 at 03:19

Just sounds repetitious that's a joke if it took 10 years to right that lol worst than Wintersun

It is 4 minutes of an intro to a 14-minute song. Don't think that actual part took "10 years" to write.

Hits total: 4549 | This month: 8