Metal Storm logo
Darkestrah - awsome bm from Kyrgyzstan - with mp3s

12.03.2007 - 22:05
Damnated
Churchburner
i have known Darkestrah for years now, and always considered them one of the best and original bands around. it's a shame that they're so overlooked, but i hope that one day they'll get the credit they deserve.

Anyways, this bands hails from Kyrgyzstan, according to ma, they are one of the 3 metal bands from that country.
Darkestrah formed in 1998, and released 3 albums since then: Sary Oy (2004), Embrace of Memory(2005) and the amazing Epos in 2007. The band plays a form of pagan/folk black metal, i call it shaman bm as the drums very musch resamble to the ones shamans used. the music's entire atmopshere has something extraordinary in it.

i am not exagerating when i say, that Epos is something out of this world. you really have to hear it to see what i mean. until you decide to get it, here's some mp3s to get started. Akyr Zaman , Sary Oy and Epos

Note that these mp3s are just fragments of the actual songs, and the quality is probably pretty bad. and before someone asks, Darkestrah does not have tomblike production.

http://www.darkestrah.vze.com/
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.03.2007 - 22:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
All I can say is: they are from WHAT?! Kyrgyzstan?? Where is that? I think I know a country similar in dutch, but I forgot. Something middle-east, if I am right? Oh well. The music.

Quite some good symphonic stuff. Not really the thing I'm into right now, but a good listen nevertheless. I'll download their album and I'll be listening it a couple of times more than just once.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.03.2007 - 22:18
Damnated
Churchburner
symphonic? what do you mean? yes, Epos has some chello thing going on, but that's minimal. Kyrgyzstan is somehwhere near Kazahstan (Borat land ). east to the Caucasus.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/LocationKyrgyzstan.svg
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.03.2007 - 22:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I was talking about Akyr Zaman. Haven't heard Epos yet.

And I'd say Akyr Zaman definatly has some Symphonic elements, or maybe Melodic would be better.. I don't know.

and maybe I am starting to think anything with keys is symphonic, because i'm so utterly grim.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.03.2007 - 22:43
Damnated
Churchburner
they use multiple folk instruments, some of them have a sympho feeling i guess.
----

12.03.2007 - 23:27
Basso
Account deleted
the samples are brilliant, this is something that require my intresst.

Edit: After leeching and listening to Epos im sold. This bands discography is incredibly high on my To Buy list now. Damn... This is exactly the kind of BM I love... Beutiful melodies hidden in folkish chaos...
13.03.2007 - 06:12
Eternal Flames
The samples sound amazing. Never heard of these guys before (or they country they hail from hehe) but they sound very original. I really like the use of the folk instruments and the incorporation of symphonic, melodic and raw parts creates a very nice atmosphere. I'll definitely be looking to find this bands' albums around here. I really enjoy the style of black metal that these guys play.
13.03.2007 - 09:55
Eternal Flames
Written by BV on 13.03.2007 at 09:35

i guess i should mention that the vocalist, Kriegtalith, is a girl

Really?? Shit, I would never have guessed it. Wow, that just makes it even more surprising and amazing now. Nice to see that there are some more female extreme metal vocalists.

I find it so hard to believe though. Her vocals are better than some male black metal vocalists.
13.03.2007 - 15:15
Damnated
Churchburner
never knew that, but now that you mention, the vocals actually sound like a woman singing. in Epos atleast. also, on the band pic, it's pretty obvious that Kriegtalith is a woman. i mean just look at her.

i would have never guest it though.

----

13.03.2007 - 15:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Hehe, didn't notice too.

I'm still downloading Epos.
----

13.03.2007 - 17:58
Basso
Account deleted
I have listened to Epos four times since last night. Im possessed, incredible.....
14.03.2007 - 01:40
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I like Sary Oy and Embrace Of Memory, but Epos was such a weak cliché-filled dissapointment... I know that the word "epic" is very important for some metal bands, but if "epic" means 30 minutes long songs in which about 8 are just the sound of waves crushing and wind blowing, I just decided that I don't really care if a band isn't epic enough.
21.03.2007 - 16:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Currently listening to 'Epos' right now, finally downloaded it. Took so long.

And I am a bit disappointed. Not really as brilliant as you all made me believe. Quite nice vocals for a woman, though.

Will listen to Sary Oy as well before my final judgment, but so far I'm not impressed.
----

21.03.2007 - 18:19
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I'd love to hear the music of this band who comes from a land that is so exotic. Unfortunately, my speakers don't work. I really wish I could listen to it, since you're saying that the music is great. It is amazing that new metal bands are coming from countries that, until previously, never had a metal band. I now await the day of the first metal band to come from Mongolia...
19.04.2007 - 16:37
Damnated
Churchburner
for fans of this band i recommend my latest discovery, the bulgarian Svarrogh. their music is similar to Darkestrah in some ways, but it's slower and has more folk elements. it's also similar to Negura Bunget.
----

12.05.2007 - 22:28
Stigmatized
This band is pretty good. Epos was great, if a little overdone. Embrace Of Memory and Sary Oy are also a good listen. Black metal, especially like this, isn't really my thing, but I'm impressed.
12.05.2007 - 22:32
APOHAKC
The Bard
I like Epos too, great atmosphere. I was real suprised when I got this CD. Everything is great, production, vocals, arrangments.. But still, atmosphere is really, but really great. This album I can listen for whole day on repeat option.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
13.05.2007 - 14:33
Judas
The Amputator
Damn, looks like I'll have to buy 'Epos' if I can ever find it! Really great stuff. With the whole Kyrgyzstan thing, I believe the band have Kyrgyz ancestry but actually reside in Germany. Can't remember where I read that, might have been on MA or something. In any case, if I made a band, I'd say that we were from India just because it's unusual and head-turning, even though I live in Australia.

Back to this band, Basso's description of melodic and folky chaos is very apt. I'm a fan!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
13.05.2007 - 17:47
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Judas on 13.05.2007 at 14:33

With the whole Kyrgyzstan thing, I believe the band have Kyrgyz ancestry but actually reside in Germany. Can't remember where I read that, might have been on MA or something.

the musicians are from Kyrgyzstan, but they moved to germany.
----

29.02.2008 - 13:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I just downloaded Embrace of Memory and I'm currently downloading Epos. What has stood out to me so far are the really aggressive parts, especially with how the bass sounds. The production is a little crusty, but still powerful.

I was unaware of the over-exaggerated length of sounds of waves crashing prior to downloading Epos, so I'm sure I will at least hate those eight minutes, but I'm still looking forward to everything else.
29.02.2008 - 16:58
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Dangerboner on 29.02.2008 at 13:05

I was unaware of the over-exaggerated length of sounds of waves crashing prior to downloading Epos, so I'm sure I will at least hate those eight minutes, but I'm still looking forward to everything else.

the waves get boring after a while, i agree. especially when you're listening to the album for the 10+ th time. the rest of the album makes up for it, though
----

24.04.2010 - 02:03
The Turbanator
Epos is a 33:33 minutes of pure trance. Darkestrah is amazing, and it's more amazing that it has a woman in their line up.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
25.04.2010 - 16:44
athena
I have both Embrace of Memory and The Great Silk Road on CD and they both very well done. I heard the Epos MP3, too. Great stuff!
25.04.2010 - 23:19
The Turbanator
Yeah I think Epos is probably their best track. I love the part when the tune enters after the waves, and again before the ending.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
05.10.2011 - 06:41
The Turbanator
Spamming again. Why this topic has so little views?

I think I'm right in saying that "Epos" and "The Great Silk Road" are possibly two of the best albums in this genre. Soooo fucking good.
----