06. Foundation
07. The Great Liberation
08. Ophidian Sunrise
09. These Grey Heavens
10. Storm Front

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Finland's Omnium Gatherum is one of those bands currently dominating the metal scene with consistent high-quality efforts. Early 2016 sees their 7th album being released via Life Force Records. In a world where fans dissect every move made on a melodic death record, I have to point out that they elegantly did play it safe by retaining the services of Dan Swanö as a producer. This brings continuity to their discography while allowing them to play within the boundaries of their sound.

Read more ››
published 04.03.2016 | Comments (9)

Found in 42 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 47   Visited by: 977 users
02.12.2015 - 10:39
Stunning Cactus

Hang on to your bootstraps, folks. The end of the world is near.
01.01.2016 - 18:39
Therapy?

Very very curious about this one!
17.01.2016 - 17:19
Rating: 9
Yugosaki

I'm sure they will not disappoint . Looking forward to this ... Last two O.G. albums were majestic.
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
02.02.2016 - 11:50
Rating: 8
s_t_s

Leak ? Leeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak ? LEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK !

Please ?
07.02.2016 - 18:18
chronic-headache

Written by Yugosaki on 17.01.2016 at 17:19

I'm sure they will not disappoint . Looking forward to this ... Last two O.G. albums were majestic.

Best adjective for this band!
With the direction they have taken after the redshift, each album has just been more and more majestic. My hopes are high for this one.
12.02.2016 - 18:25
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
Heavier than Beyond.
12.02.2016 - 21:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by s_t_s on 02.02.2016 at 11:50

Leak ? Leeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak ? LEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK !

Please ?

Leak.
12.02.2016 - 21:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

I probably won't listen to this.
14.02.2016 - 12:09
Rating: 10
Litvin

It's being already released here https://omniumgatherum.bandcamp.com/album/grey-heavens
And it is great.
17.02.2016 - 12:54
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Litvin on 14.02.2016 at 12:09

It's being already released here https://omniumgatherum.bandcamp.com/album/grey-heavens
And it is great.

That was a fake Bandcamp page and no longer there.
18.02.2016 - 05:49
Litvin

Written by Risto on 17.02.2016 at 12:54

Written by Litvin on 14.02.2016 at 12:09

And it is great.

That was a fake Bandcamp page and no longer there.

Haha I would never thought so. So tricky/clever folks now our days...
Looks like the whole account https://omniumgatherum.bandcamp.com was a fake.
18.02.2016 - 05:51
Litvin

[url][/url]
19.02.2016 - 12:31
s_t_s

Omnium Gatherum may not be the biggest band around and some people may believe that melodeath means boring yet this album (like the previous two) is full of energy that boosts me and gives me goosebump when I'm listening to it ! So it's gonna be day one for me !
20.02.2016 - 10:56
Rating: 6
.:Nataras:.
.:Saratan:.
Sorry I don't know, but it seems In Flames took "Skyline" and made "only for the weak" based on that? or vice versa?
----
.:Saratan:.
20.02.2016 - 11:01
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by .:Nataras:. on 20.02.2016 at 10:56

Sorry I don't know, but it seems In Flames took "Skyline" and made "only for the weak" based on that? or vice versa?

The guys commented on the song that the "bouncy rhythm" was influenced by a less obvious Swedish band, but they didn't reveal the name I didn't like the song that much at first, but now it's just about my favourite track.
20.02.2016 - 21:25
Stunning Cactus

Written by Guest on 12.02.2016 at 21:04

I probably won't listen to this.

Your loss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
21.02.2016 - 15:59
IronArkadius666

Hmm... As a huge fan of both NWS and Beyond I find this very disappointing to be honest.

Not bad at all, just not great either, some of the songs sound very generic, even for a melodeath band. The first two tracks a perfect examples. Skyline sounds like a boring version of In Flames' Only For The Weak.

There are some cool songs as well, I personally like Frontiers, Majesty and Silence and Foundation, but they're not enough to make this album anyway near as good as their last two releases.

I hope it grows on me but for now, 7 it is.
22.02.2016 - 16:02
Schlagintweit

Pretty solid album aside from the track, "Skyline", sounds way too similar to, "Only For The Weak", by In Flames. Even the octave change near the end of the song! WOW!!
----
Paul "Greasy" Slaunwhite
23.02.2016 - 16:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Started listening to this and I'm reminded once again: how is it exactly that people find this to be generic melodeath? Sure, plenty of OG's work is rather bland, but in all my love for the genre, I can't find a single band to compare this to. The same goes for other bands that get bashed here frequently, namely Insomnium and Be'lakor.
23.02.2016 - 17:13
Rating: 9
Sword_Chant

This is the best Melodeath release i've heard in a while, really digging the way they approached the sound of this album. Interestingly I found 'Skyline' to be one of the stronger tracks, and it does sound a bit like In Flames, but at least it sounds like the OLD In Flames lol.
23.02.2016 - 17:43
musclassia

Written by LeKiwi on 23.02.2016 at 16:04

Started listening to this and I'm reminded once again: how is it exactly that people find this to be generic melodeath? Sure, plenty of OG's work is rather bland, but in all my love for the genre, I can't find a single band to compare this to. The same goes for other bands that get bashed here frequently, namely Insomnium and Be'lakor.

I think I made a rambling post on a OG news story a few days ago somewhat along this line. These 3 bands do seem to be real punching bags as some kind of generic void of inspiration, when a) each has a fairly distinctive style within the melodeath genre, and b) they do throw up a fair number of songs (particularly the Finnish bands, much less so Be'Lakor in my book) that follow extremely similar sounds to the point of blandness, but they all have their fair share of very distinctive songs (haven't heard this one yet, but off of Beyond I would list Nightwalkers, White Palace and The Unknowing as clearly musically distinct songs compared to others on the album, and tracks like In Parting and The Dream And The Waking from Of Breath And Bone don't really have any obvious comparators in my book). Also, less so Insomnium, but I feel like the other two, when on form (such as in the songs I just named), produce some of the best stuff melodeath has to offer
23.02.2016 - 18:42
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by musclassia on 23.02.2016 at 17:43

I think I made a rambling post on a OG news story a few days ago somewhat along this line. These 3 bands do seem to be real punching bags as some kind of generic void of inspiration, when a) each has a fairly distinctive style within the melodeath genre, and b) they do throw up a fair number of songs (particularly the Finnish bands, much less so Be'Lakor in my book) that follow extremely similar sounds to the point of blandness, but they all have their fair share of very distinctive songs (haven't heard this one yet, but off of Beyond I would list Nightwalkers, White Palace and The Unknowing as clearly musically distinct songs compared to others on the album, and tracks like In Parting and The Dream And The Waking from Of Breath And Bone don't really have any obvious comparators in my book). Also, less so Insomnium, but I feel like the other two, when on form (such as in the songs I just named), produce some of the best stuff melodeath has to offer

Yeah I saw that post Like you say, I'm sure some of the bands I mentioned produce some generic passages at points in their discography, but for the most part I can't find their distinctive style in any other band, else I would have a new favourite melodeath band They're definitely not pushing boundaries or anything of the sort, but I don't think it would be fair to label any of them as generic melodeath.
24.02.2016 - 08:50
The Galactician

Written by IronArkadius666 on 21.02.2016 at 15:59

Hmm... As a huge fan of both NWS and Beyond I find this very disappointing to be honest.

Not bad at all, just not great either, some of the songs sound very generic, even for a melodeath band. The first two tracks a perfect examples. Skyline sounds like a boring version of In Flames' Only For The Weak.

There are some cool songs as well, I personally like Frontiers, Majesty and Silence and Foundation, but they're not enough to make this album anyway near as good as their last two releases.

I hope it grows on me but for now, 7 it is.

Also a big fan of these guys, particularly their last two records (though I've enjoyed everything), and I'm sad to say I agree with this review.

My biggest problem is that this feels like a band who is really starting to repeat themselves. Beyond retained the sound of New World Shadows while still offering up wholly unique songwriting. Grey Heavens sounds like a less-inspired amalgamation of the last two releases, with many of the same chord-progressions and ideas. A few really great standouts, but a lot of same-same.

I could also really do without Skyline. I didn't much care for it on the Insomnium split and I don't care for it here. Seeing them perform it live last year, I thought it was by far the most unoriginal and uninspired thing in their otherwise amazing set.

As has been said, not a bad record overall, but didn't have the wow-factor of the last two for me.
24.02.2016 - 20:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Disappoint indeed It seems they tried to recreate "The Unknowing" on "Ophidian Sunrise" and.....it failed.

Edit: I also see a lot of complaints about "Skyline", but at least it's catchy. Can't say the same for many other tracks.
25.02.2016 - 06:11
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by LeKiwi on 23.02.2016 at 16:04

If those other two bands didn't exist, OG would be much more original. Still love em though.
25.02.2016 - 08:28
Risto
Wandering Midget
Omnium Gatherum have recently departed from the Gothenburg sound more than most melodeath bands, Be'lakor included (before this album, that is). It's just that Be'lakor have amazing talent at melody writing and therefore hardly ever repeat themselves.
25.02.2016 - 15:20
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by JÄY on 25.02.2016 at 06:11

If those other two bands didn't exist, OG would be much more original. Still love em though.

To be honest, I don't hear the similarity - alll three do their own thing. I reckon anyone could recognise those bands in a blind test, even without the vocals.
26.02.2016 - 01:10
MrEdu3

Cool album, but "Beyond" and "New World Shadows" are better and more deep too.
27.02.2016 - 01:34
Litvin

This just an amazing record, reminds me some of The Redshift and their early records.
Also it has some good old MDM/Gothenburg sounds
27.02.2016 - 08:41
bladefall

This album is heavier、faster、less cheesy than the previous two.

Those who want more sweet melody maybe feel disapponted.

For me,this one is closer to MDM,not just "Melodic Metal".

Hits total: 17268 | This month: 22