Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - Unveil New Album Cover And Tracklist

Little by little, we begin to know more about Dream Theater's upcoming album. Titled The Astonishing, the prog metal masters have now revealed its cover explaining that it introduces the album's retro-futurist dystopian setting. Take a look at it below alongside the tracklist. It remains to be seen if the album will be astonishing or not, but the band will perform it in full on a European tour next year with shows in England, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Italy, France, Switzerland and Denmark already booked.

Here is what the band said about the cover: "This album cover extends an ominous invitation into the retro-futurist dystopian setting of The Astonishing. The deceptively beautiful yet chillingly totalitarian image is a bold harbinger of the visual components and ideas presented by the sonic story that is our most ambitious creative work to date. We are very proud to soon bring you... The Astonishing."

Tracklist:

Act I:

01. Descent Of The NOMACS
02. Dystopian Overture
03. The Gift Of Music
04. The Answer
05. A Better Life
06. Lord Nafaryus
07. A Savior In The Square
08. When Your Time Has Come
09. Act Of Faythe
10. Three Days
11. The Hovering Sojourn
12. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
13. A Life Left Behind
14. Ravenskill
15. Chosen
16. A Tempting Offer
17. Digital Discord
18. The X Aspect
19. A New Beginning
20. The Road To Revolution

Act II:

01. 2285 Entr'acte
02. Moment Of Betrayal
03. Heaven's Cove
04. Begin Again
05. The Path That Divides
06. Machine Chatter
07. The Walking Shadow
08. My Last Farewell
09. Losing Faythe
10. Whispers In The Wind
11. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
12. Our New World
13. Power Down
14. Astonishing

Find out more about the characters and the rest on the album's mini-site.

Source: dreamtheater.net
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 02.12.2015 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 51   Visited by: 333 users
03.12.2015 - 11:25
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by BloodTears on 02.12.2015 at 18:32

I actually like the cover of Black Clouds & Silver Linings and Awake. They are pretty similar.

But yes, not the best part of DT. I'm excited to see this concept come to life in the music.

Black Clouds is probably the best cover - I remember how on the Russian DT forum we used to decipher the messages hidden in the cover, which were related to each of the tracks...
03.12.2015 - 11:32
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
LaBrie performance on Wacken 2015 was one of his WORST ever. Mangini is not Portnoy, their last album was average at best and this new one looks like wannabe Metropolis pt3 + cover art looks bad. Overall - meh.
03.12.2015 - 12:14
MikeVonDoom

How awesome it would be if DT incorporate some industrial samples on the new album???
Anyways, I hope this one will be more metal focused! The previous one was disappointing for me!
03.12.2015 - 14:16
Sword_Chant

Written by Daniell on 03.12.2015 at 09:39

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 03.12.2015 at 05:19

MS enjoys voting down good albums and circle jerking over overhyped ones.

People have different opinions. Are you grown-up enough to accept that?

Teravolt_Danny does have a point though.
03.12.2015 - 14:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Sword_Chant on 03.12.2015 at 14:16

Teravolt_Danny does have a point though.

How does he have a point, or you for that matter, when neither of you come up with any examples of good albums that are being voted down and overhyped ones people here on MS are circle jerking about?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.12.2015 - 20:56
Byners

I don't like the way things are going with this album :x
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
03.12.2015 - 22:45
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Oh please, it's no different than you so matter-of-factly stating what the bands worst album is.

And no, I won't give examples of what you asked for above, because I'm not going to hijack this thread and make it about 50 other bands that aren't Dream Theater.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
04.12.2015 - 04:03
Nicko's Nose

04.12.2015 - 07:06
Byners

Written by Nicko's Nose on 04.12.2015 at 04:03

New song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPn1mCmqoE

And it's great
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
04.12.2015 - 08:56
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 03.12.2015 at 22:45

Oh please, it's no different than you so matter-of-factly stating what the bands worst album is.

No, it's not the same. Me saying what the band's worst album is is simply stating my opinion. I'm talking about myself, which I'm entitled to. You are talking about a group of people having (in your mistaken opinion) the same or similar standpoint about an album. You specify neither an album, nor those people. You just throw a vague accusation.
04.12.2015 - 10:15
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Nicko's Nose on 04.12.2015 at 04:03

New song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPn1mCmqoE

Production is like cover art - plastic, especially drums.
04.12.2015 - 19:43
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 02.12.2015 at 22:57

For the LIFE of me, I will NEVER understand why so many people hated "A Dramatic Turn of Events."

As a DT fan I think I can answer why people don't like it. The sound is flat and dull, and the songs are for the most part bland (the ballads particularly).

There are a couple of decent tracks on there though.
04.12.2015 - 23:02
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by Daniell on 04.12.2015 at 08:56

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 03.12.2015 at 22:45

No, it's not the same. Me saying what the band's worst album is is simply stating my opinion. I'm talking about myself, which I'm entitled to. You are talking about a group of people having (in your mistaken opinion) the same or similar standpoint about an album. You specify neither an album, nor those people. You just throw a vague accusation.

Okay you win, there is absolutely no group think or bias in the metal community whenever it comes to rating bands and albums. And yes, my unwillingness to start a side discussion about 20 other bands in a Dream Theater thread is a testament to that fact.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing now. Give it a rest.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
05.12.2015 - 06:40
Doge of Venice

Written by LeKiwi on 02.12.2015 at 20:29

I wonder how long the album is...I'm a little skeptical.

Read an interview on Rolling Stone. Petrucci mentioned 'around 2 hrs and 10 mins' of music. I'll get source tomorrow if you want.
06.12.2015 - 13:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by andreosokin on 03.12.2015 at 11:25

Black Clouds is probably the best cover - I remember how on the Russian DT forum we used to decipher the messages hidden in the cover, which were related to each of the tracks...

I remember that. I think the cover also referenced all their previous albums somehow. It was pretty cool In terms of covers, that was definitely among the best. As for the music, definitely better than the last two records as well for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.12.2015 - 13:12
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by BloodTears on 06.12.2015 at 13:02

I remember that. I think the cover also referenced all their previous albums somehow.

And the cover of ADTOE references Black Clouds.
09.12.2015 - 16:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
"...the sonic story that is our most ambitious creative work to date"

I really can't stand when bands do this, acting as if their upcoming album is the Second Coming or something. And it's only really ever the bigger bands that I see pull that shit, ya know, for example you're never going to see Jeff Whitehead being like "oh yeah, the upcoming Leviathan has album artwork that perfectly reflects the oppressive and nihilistic themes that I'm working with on this, what is unquestionably my most grandiose and sublime piece of work to date."

The autofellatio is strong with this one.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.12.2015 - 16:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.12.2015 at 16:02

"...the sonic story that is our most ambitious creative work to date"

I really can't stand when bands do this, acting as if their upcoming album is the Second Coming or something. And it's only really ever the bigger bands that I see pull that shit, ya know, for example you're never going to see Jeff Whitehead being like "oh yeah, the upcoming Leviathan has album artwork that perfectly reflects the oppressive and nihilistic themes that I'm working with on this, what is unquestionably my most grandiose and sublime piece of work to date."

The autofellatio is strong with this one.

In fairness Wrest is one of the least articulate people in metal I can see what you mean though, he's definitely not the sort to blow his own trumpet like that. This is part of the reason Sunn annoyed me so much with their latest release, as it came with a whole heap of pretentious twaddle. I guess that's what happens when one of the members owns an art gallery in Paris.
09.12.2015 - 18:46
Uldreth

Written by Guest on 09.12.2015 at 16:17

I guess that's what happens when one of the members owns an art gallery in Paris.

The person whose alternative gravity theory I am working with left science to become a painter after seeing a Van Gogh exhibition in Paris...

Nothing to do with the topic but I figured it might be worth it to mention the dangers of art galleries in Paris.
09.12.2015 - 18:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 09.12.2015 at 18:46

The person whose alternative gravity theory I am working with left science to become a painter after seeing a Van Gogh exhibition in Paris...

Nothing to do with the topic but I figured it might be worth it to mention the dangers of art galleries in Paris.

Sounds like a case of Stendhal syndrome. Definitely an interesting fact anyway!
09.12.2015 - 23:07
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 09.12.2015 at 16:17

This is part of the reason Sunn annoyed me so much with their latest release, as it came with a whole heap of pretentious twaddle. I guess that's what happens when one of the members owns an art gallery in Paris.

Yeah, a friend was telling me the band basically went social justice warriors on the side of the LGBT movement or something because apparently Kannon is an androgynous Buddhist deity, so they had some philosopher write a bunch of shit in the liner notes about how Sunn O)))'s music channels those themes... or something like that?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 4403 | This month: 6