10. Whispers On The Wind
11. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
12. Our New World
13. Power Down
14. Astonishing

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
One of the pioneering bands of progressive metal, the iconic Dream Theater, unleashed their new opus at the end of January. As is the case with all their releases, The Astonishing is going to draw all kinds of comments from "this is the worst thing ever" to "album of the year material". One thing is for certain, with more than 2 hours of music, their latest record is a demanding listen drawing inspiration from many musical and dramatic influences.

Read more ››
published 04.02.2016 | Comments (25)

Guest review by
Ahov
Rating:
Truly special. There are complex feelings I get from The Astonishing and no other album makes me feel this way.

Read more ››
published 18.01.2022 | Comments (8)

Found in 39 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 133   Visited by: 1295 users
29.01.2016 - 02:59
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
A lot of my favorite DT songs are ballads, so believe me when I say I have nothing against them writing lots of ballads for an album.

... But the bulk of the ballads on this album are just simple, generic, and completely lack anything memorable.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
29.01.2016 - 04:10
Rating: 6
iMorphball
I was waiting for this album to get really good with all the building up that it does, but it never gets to a point where I'm actually enjoying what I'm listening to. Really sad because I was really looking forward to this. Dang...
29.01.2016 - 08:48
diamondblack
Hear new DT album in style. Now available in high resolution 96/24 at HDTracks, Use code HDJAN29 to get 15% off! Offer expires on the 1st of February.
http://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/279675/
Enjoy
29.01.2016 - 09:21
Rating: 9
Nicko's Nose
After 8 listens, I absolutely love it. and I thought it was just ok at first. Keep that in mind folks.
29.01.2016 - 11:56
Ivor
Staff
staff
Written by Nicko's Nose on 29.01.2016 at 09:21

After 8 listens, I absolutely love it. and I thought it was just ok at first. Keep that in mind folks.

So that makes for 16 hours of listening, and it's just midday here.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
29.01.2016 - 12:49
Rating: 8
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Written by Nicko's Nose on 26.01.2016 at 03:37

People expecting a heavy album will be disappointed.

YES! it was more Symphonic Progressive Rock, some metalheads will NOT like it so much I'm gonna rate it "8.4"
29.01.2016 - 13:08
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by Mehdi Taba on 29.01.2016 at 12:49

Written by Nicko's Nose on 26.01.2016 at 03:37

People expecting a heavy album will be disappointed.

YES! it was more Symphonic Progressive Rock, some metalheads will NOT like it so much I'm gonna rate it "8.4"

I listen to a lot of progressive rock and I'm still disappointed.
29.01.2016 - 14:06
joshsteph
I just finished listening to the album and I really like it. It's definitely different than what DT has done in the past. Softer, experimental and more daring than any of their earlier releases. That's not a bad thing in my eyes, since I'm not expecting the same album over and over again from a band. I'm not one of those metalheads who's complaining if a band changes, and does the same thing if a band doesn't change either. If I like what I'm hearing ok, if not then onto the next. For my ears it was a great musical journey and I think they did an excellent job.
29.01.2016 - 18:01
jfAkerfeldt
Great album¡
29.01.2016 - 19:12
BehzadSh
Written by Nicko's Nose on 04.12.2015 at 04:04

The Gift of Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPn1mCmqoE

What a horrible video
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
29.01.2016 - 19:23
HyperDrifter
Written by joshsteph on 29.01.2016 at 14:06

I just finished listening to the album and I really like it. It's definitely different than what DT has done in the past. Softer, experimental and more daring than any of their earlier releases. That's not a bad thing in my eyes, since I'm not expecting the same album over and over again from a band. I'm not one of those metalheads who's complaining if a band changes, and does the same thing if a band doesn't change either. If I like what I'm hearing ok, if not then onto the next. For my ears it was a great musical journey and I think they did an excellent job.

Hey someone with the same logic as me There really needs to be more people with this mindset...
29.01.2016 - 20:35
Mr.Wilson
One thing is for sure, I love coming to this site, I have been visiting it for years! but one thing I can't stand is how pretentious people here can be! For some years, it became popular to hate Dream Theater and everything they do, without even listening carefully to the music!

This album is very well done! it took guts to do something like this and they put a lot of work on it! so respect that!
The album is a grower, you need to listen a lot of times to get it.
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
29.01.2016 - 21:33
Rating: 5
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Mr.Wilson on 29.01.2016 at 20:35

One thing is for sure, I love coming to this site, I have been visiting it for years! but one thing I can't stand is how pretentious people here can be! For some years, it became popular to hate Dream Theater and everything they do, without even listening carefully to the music!

How do you know that people on the site (that you haven't probably even met IRL) judge DT's later albums before even listening to them carefully? That seems like a pretty big accusation. Dream Theater were one of the first metal bands I ever truly loved and I think this is true for quite a lot of those, who are disappointed with what DT have released in the last 10 years. This isn't about people being pretentious or wanting to hate things, I actually think it's the other way round. People are disappointed and saddened, BECAUSE they love classic DT albums and want to like the newer ones, but just can't due to the poor quality of those albums.

Rather than accuse others of being pretentious haters, why don't you instead talk about why you like this album? I for one don't care for it, but I would love to hear different opinions.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
29.01.2016 - 21:59
Dave FC
^ (for Mr. Wilson)
Well, it's so common too venerating everything they do, that it gets annoying.
I just listened to a few songs from the album and they are not bad, just too generic, fluff... Nothing really comparable to Awake (that i'm listening to it right now) tbh.
Well, i'll try it.
29.01.2016 - 22:00
Dave FC
Written by Metren on 29.01.2016 at 21:33

How do you know that people on the site (that you haven't probably even met IRL) judge DT's later albums before even listening to them carefully? That seems like a pretty big accusation. Dream Theater were one of the first metal bands I ever truly loved and I think this is true for quite a lot of those, who are disappointed with what DT have released in the last 10 years. This isn't about people being pretentious or wanting to hate things, I actually think it's the other way round. People are disappointed and saddened, BECAUSE they love classic DT albums and want to like the newer ones, but just can't due to the poor quality of those albums.

Rather than accuse others of being pretentious haters, why don't you instead talk about why you like this album? I for one don't care for it, but I would love to hear different opinions.

You, I like you
30.01.2016 - 00:02
Rating: 6
Like how melodic it is, which, gives a power metal vibe. just wish it was heavier.
30.01.2016 - 03:24
diamondblack
Written by Dave FC on 29.01.2016 at 22:00

You, I like you

Well "poor quality" is a matter of opinion. IMO all Dream Theater albums are great, one just have to mature with changes to understand them.
30.01.2016 - 17:45
Rating: 7
Mariocalin

Some people just would want the same album all over again. That's not fair in my opinion. A band evolves. I Love classic hits of DT but I also like this new era. Not as much as the old yes, but it's good too.

Poor Quality? Dont make me laugh please.
----
We are the priest of the temple of Synix
30.01.2016 - 18:01
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Mariocalin on 30.01.2016 at 17:45

Some people just would want the same album all over again. That's not fair in my opinion. A band evolves. I Love classic hits of DT but I also like this new era. Not as much as the old yes, but it's good too.

I agree that a lot of the time, people like sameness and familiarity. The fact that remakes, reboots, sequels etc. do so well when it comes to the films being released nowadays is a testament to that.

However, that isn't always the case with films or with music. I for one do appreciate when bands change their style or approach towards songwriting itself, in some cases I yearn for it. When I say that later DT albums are of poor quality, I don't mean that they are poor because they are different, I mean that they poor because the songwriting isn't anything impressive in my ears.

Also, when I have a choice between an unoriginal (style-wise) album, that has quality songwriting and a more original album, that has poor songwriting, I will always prefer the unoriginal one with good songwriting. That's just me though.

What makes you like this album enough to give it a 9, though? I'd really like to know. After all, maybe you do hear something on it that I haven't noticed or paid attention to yet.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
30.01.2016 - 23:17
Doge of Venice
I dunno how they managed it, but most of these songs feel longer than The Count of Tuscany.
30.01.2016 - 23:29
Maco
Pvt Funderground
This was a chore to listen to.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
31.01.2016 - 02:28
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
There was a review for this in the paper yesterday. Apparently it sounds like Disney.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
31.01.2016 - 04:03
Nicko's Nose
Written by M C Vice on 31.01.2016 at 02:28

There was a review for this in the paper yesterday. Apparently it sounds like Disney.

Some of the ballads sound like they would fit in a Disney movie.
31.01.2016 - 10:47
Rating: 4
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Nicko's Nose on 31.01.2016 at 04:03

Written by M C Vice on 31.01.2016 at 02:28

Some of the ballads sound like they would fit in a Disney movie.

And there is a shitload of them.
31.01.2016 - 11:34
Mariocalin
Written by Metren on 30.01.2016 at 18:01

Written by Mariocalin on 30.01.2016 at 17:45

I agree that a lot of the time, people like sameness and familiarity. The fact that remakes, reboots, sequels etc. do so well when it comes to the films being released nowadays is a testament to that.

However, that isn't always the case with films or with music. I for one do appreciate when bands change their style or approach towards songwriting itself, in some cases I yearn for it. When I say that later DT albums are of poor quality, I don't mean that they are poor because they are different, I mean that they poor because the songwriting isn't anything impressive in my ears.

Also, when I have a choice between an unoriginal (style-wise) album, that has quality songwriting and a more original album, that has poor songwriting, I will always prefer the unoriginal one with good songwriting. That's just me though.

What makes you like this album enough to give it a 9, though? I'd really like to know. After all, maybe you do hear something on it that I haven't noticed or paid attention to yet.

A well and risky idea executed really well in my opinion. I am a huge fan of DT and I'm probably overrating it. When i got into the story of the album I started to enjoy it so much. It's really important to judge this album with lyrics in front of you.

And the music quality is out of any doubts. Ok, it's a bit plane in some occasions and the bass is not relevant in many cases but besides these things it's a good record, better than the old ones with Mangini.

Greetings!
----
We are the priest of the temple of Synix
31.01.2016 - 12:45
Rating: 4
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Mariocalin on 31.01.2016 at 11:34

It's really important to judge this album with lyrics in front of you.

Lyrics only make it worse. They're cheesy, pretentious, and corny.
I don't know whether "The Astonishing" is the worst DT album, but I do know it has the worst lyrics.
31.01.2016 - 14:47
BehzadSh
Much better than the previous album
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
31.01.2016 - 16:20
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Mariocalin on 31.01.2016 at 11:34

A well and risky idea executed really well in my opinion. I am a huge fan of DT and I'm probably overrating it. When i got into the story of the album I started to enjoy it so much. It's really important to judge this album with lyrics in front of you.

And the music quality is out of any doubts. Ok, it's a bit plane in some occasions and the bass is not relevant in many cases but besides these things it's a good record, better than the old ones with Mangini.

Greetings!

I'm a pretty big DT fan (or rather I was), but like someone said earlier, listening to this album feels like a chore to me. However, I am glad you enjoyed it. Like Daniell said earlier, in a way they are trying too hard with this album (I think that's what he meant) and that is still something I can respect a lot more than when a band just doesn't try at all anymore.
----
31.01.2016 - 17:15
Lethrokai
You know, from the preview information, I was expecting this album to be a hot mess and a half. But surprisingly, it was alright. Nothing remarkable mind you, but some of the songs here seem like their most inspired and creative material since In The Presence of Enemies.

It's funny how I've seen some call this DT's Disney album, because in classic Disney fashion, the villain gets all the best songs. Lord Nafaryus, Three Days, The Path That Divides, The Walking Shadow etc. are the best music the Mangini era has had to offer yet.

It's just unfortunate that these gems are caught up in a net of too many power ballads and merely "eh" songs.

So yeah, there's a good chunk of this album which is fantastic, and a good chunk which really needed trimming down.

Overall though this is a significant improvement on their last album for me.

(Oh yeah, and it goes without saying that, for an album centered on narrative, the narrative is utter tripe.)
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
31.01.2016 - 17:21
Zap
Couldn't even make it one third through this mess (which is already longer than most albums.) This is like a collection of everything I never liked about Dream Theater.

Hits total: 27621 | This month: 79