Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - New Song Streaming Online

"The Gift Of Music" - the first track from Dream Theater's upcoming album The Astonishing - has premiered officially online. You can enjoy it as much as you want via the YouTube player below. It has also been confirmed that the group's new concept double album will be in stores on January 29th, 2016 via Roadrunner Records. Did the new track live up to your expectations? It's only the first single.

Dream Theater bolstered its sound on The Astonishing with a full orchestra, multiple choirs and unorthodox instruments. Enlisted to muster those forces was David Campbell, a veteran conductor and orchestrator whose extensive credits include work for film, Broadway, and more than 450 gold and platinum albums by the likes of Paul McCartney, Rush, My Chemical Romance and more.

The Astonishing tracklist:

Act I:

01. Descent Of The NOMACS
02. Dystopian Overture
03. The Gift Of Music
04. The Answer
05. A Better Life
06. Lord Nafaryus
07. A Savior In The Square
08. When Your Time Has Come
09. Act Of Faythe
10. Three Days
11. The Hovering Sojourn
12. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
13. A Life Left Behind
14. Ravenskill
15. Chosen
16. A Tempting Offer
17. Digital Discord
18. The X Aspect
19. A New Beginning
20. The Road To Revolution

Act II:

01. 2285 Entr'acte
02. Moment Of Betrayal
03. Heaven's Cove
04. Begin Again
05. The Path That Divides
06. Machine Chatter
07. The Walking Shadow
08. My Last Farewell
09. Losing Faythe
10. Whispers In The Wind
11. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
12. Our New World
13. Power Down
14. Astonishing

Dream Theater recently announced new tour dates for a momentous European headline run which is set to kick off February 18th at the Palladium in London, England. The winter run will see the prog titans delivering a one-of-a-kind set in which they will be debuting The Astonishing live in its entirety.

[Also thanks to Csabi for sending in this news!]

Source: dreamtheater.net
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 04.12.2015 by nicaZe

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 21   Visited by: 313 users
04.12.2015 - 12:39
robpal
Proglord
I like it! More energy than instrumental wankery and James sounds really good.
04.12.2015 - 12:56
Nimlot
A. Reader
I find this difficult to listen to. I'll probably give this album a miss as well.
04.12.2015 - 13:32
Kais
I like it a lot. Let's see how this album will turn out as a whole.
04.12.2015 - 13:38
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Not much of note going on here. Pretty generic prog.
04.12.2015 - 14:16
Ellinor
Big DT fan here. I find this song to be generic too. Hopefully, rest of album will be better.
04.12.2015 - 14:47
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I wouldn't get my hopes too high if I were you guys. 34 songs? Even if several of them are interludes/intros, etc., it's still a shitload of songs. After so many albums, and such short breaks between them, what ar ethe chances of this album being truly great? Slim to none if you ask me. Still, one can hope...
04.12.2015 - 16:26
musclassia
Staff
I don't really know what to expect from this album given how huge it seems to be - can really imagine at least half the tracks being filler unless there's a load of interludes in there. This song, however, I like it - prefer it to the majority of songs from the self-titled album
04.12.2015 - 18:01
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Typical single, nothing too exciting but good

The album is looking pretty massive though in terms of scope.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.12.2015 - 18:39
Byners
The music is actually better than I was expecting :v
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
04.12.2015 - 19:44
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Yeah, it's ok. I just wonder why it seems to be impossible to get a good drum sound for Mangini.
04.12.2015 - 22:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Daniell on 04.12.2015 at 14:47

I wouldn't get my hopes too high if I were you guys. 34 songs? Even if several of them are interludes/intros, etc., it's still a shitload of songs. After so many albums, and such short breaks between them, what ar ethe chances of this album being truly great? Slim to none if you ask me. Still, one can hope...

The album must follow a structure similar to Ayreon's albums. Instead of the the usual 12 minute proggy number, they split it in 3-4 tracks.
If that's the case, then this won't be much different to other DT albums other than hearing more track changes during the listen.
04.12.2015 - 22:45
Doge of Venice
I think they made the plot of the album that music is made by robots so they had an excuse to sound so dry and sterile.

Saying that, it's not bad. Better than what I remember anything on the last album sounding like.
04.12.2015 - 22:56
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
It's a good song. I know all the Portnoy nuthuggers will bash on it, though.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
05.12.2015 - 11:23
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Enjoyed it, but this is far from THE Dream Theater we had back. Maybe it's more focused but the range of instruments are hardly used.
----
05.12.2015 - 11:50
slim pickings
Account deleted
Ok song but nothing special
so the new album will have an orchestra, choirs and unconventional instruments (I wonder what those are)? Well, I don't expect much from DT these days, last time I got excited with one of their releases was Octavarium. What they released after that was good but not great IMO.
05.12.2015 - 13:57
Spiknot
Really really bad. I love DT, I've seen them live for 5 times ... But this song just makes me sick.

I hope it's just because it's the single.
09.12.2015 - 14:38
Lethrokai
It sounds like DT want to be writing the new '2112'. Dystopias are the "in" thing of this generation after all.

I hope they can pull it off, but am doubtful.

All I can say is experiment more.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
11.12.2015 - 13:21
JF ooo
Remind me in style album 6 degrees of inner tutbulence, not their best not worst, if new album come like that piece, it´ll be OK and listenable, but not awaiting something bombastic like Scenes in 1999 was or other concept metal great albums, good ballads are allowed, James have a fine voice for them
24.12.2015 - 14:37
Panterica
The song ain't that bad, yet a 34-song-album is quite a burden to go through. I highly doubt that DT got enough creative power to pull such a feat.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
12.01.2016 - 18:31
♱ RaVeN ♱
Really good song! it has a retro , 90's feel to it. James sounds pretty good too
12.01.2016 - 18:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^90s is retro already?
I feel old =[
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei

Hits total: 3867 | This month: 10