Metal Storm logo
Testament

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 22.05.2006 - 15:55
Im surprised theres no thread about this band yet... Just goes to show how under-rated they are.... They certainly deserve more recognition... They have many top quality thrash albums/tracks... 'The Legacy'/Alone In The Dark..... 'The New Order'/Into The Pit & Trial By Fire....

My favourite Testament track is Alone In The Dark followed closely by a host of others including Disciples Of The Watch and Burnt Offering...

So, what does everyone else think of this band?
16.07.2010 - 22:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 16.07.2010 at 22:05

Seriously, guys? Do you have any albums you don't like?

Can you read my mind?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 22:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 22:08

Can you read my mind?

Hmmm...

You are thinking of how Warning owns all metal, right?

[lol but seriously, I got sick of AS's long posts praising everything every band has done]
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
16.07.2010 - 22:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 16.07.2010 at 22:11
[lol but seriously, I got sick of AS's long posts praising everything every band has done]

Quite obviously you have missed the numerous posts Ive made criticising albums/songs by bands I like. You state your opinions as if they are somehow fact, and rubbish opinions that dont agree with yours. You're sick of my posts, dont read them then!
16.07.2010 - 22:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 16.07.2010 at 22:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 22:08

Can you read my mind?

Hmmm...

You are thinking of how Warning owns all metal, right?

only Watching From A Distance
But not always, sometimes it is Ride The Lightning sometimes Peace Sells, sometimes The Legacy sometimes Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

Quote:

Mmmm I didn't really notice that until you just mentioned it. Iron Maiden, Testament. Megadeth all spring to mind here.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 22:31
JohnDoe
Account deleted

Seriously, guys? Do you have any albums you don't like? Demonic's terrible. Generic death riffs with bad growls.

tastes differ; Testament is one of my favourite band; surely, Demonic is my least favourite album of theirs. I like it but I didn't use any superlatives to express my thoughts about it; I expecially liked the drumming and the guitar work. I thought it was quite good.
16.07.2010 - 22:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 22:26
Mmmm I didn't really notice that until you just mentioned it. Iron Maiden, Testament. Megadeth all spring to mind here.

In actual fact, I have criticised all 3 of those band's works. Just because I dont completely slam or dismiss an entire album as a worthless pile of crap, doesnt mean I havent criticised them. Did you conveniantly forget my criticsm of ''Endgame''? (I have also criticised other things Megadeth have done, including ''United Abominations'', "Risk", and ''The World Needs A Hero") or "Fear Of The Dark". (and other Maiden stuff including their latest song) I also was extremely harsh on Iced Earth's (another of my fave bands) latest album in a couple of posts in their thread. Dont slam me just because you happen to disagree with my opinons. Sheesh!
16.07.2010 - 22:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.07.2010 at 22:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 22:26

In actual fact, I have criticised all 3 of those band's works. Just because I dont completely slam or dismiss an entire album as a worthless pile of crap, doesnt mean I havent criticised them. Did you conveniantly forget my criticsm of ''Endgame''? (I have also criticised other things Megadeth have done, including ''United Abominations'', "Risk", and ''The World Needs A Hero") or "Fear Of The Dark". (and other Maiden stuff including their latest song) I also was extremely harsh on Iced Earth's (another of my fave bands) latest album in a couple of posts in their thread. Dont slam me just because you happen to disagree with my opinons. Sheesh!

Somehow I have in my old tattered brain you absolutely raved about Endgame and United Abominations. My mistake there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 22:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 22:36
Somehow I have in my old tattered brain you absolutely raved about Endgame and United Abominations. My mistake there.

From the thread Death Magnetic Vs Endgame:

"I really don't get the people saying "Endgame" is like "RIP 2" or something. No it isn't! There is NOTHING on the album that compares to the genius songwriting and cavernous arrangements of "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" or "Hangar 18". Despite the wealth of solos on the album, none of them come anywhere near the greatness of that album's best solos. Chris Broderick may be technically better than Marty, but as for feel, and putting emotion into the playing, Marty wipes the floor with him! "Endgame" is a good album, don't get me wrong, but on a par with RIP? Never. I prefer "Death Magnetic". "Endgame" feels rushed, and some of the songs feel forced, rather than organic. I find overall, "Death Magnetic" to be far more rewarding, in the long term. Though both are good albums. I also prefer "The System Has Failed" over "Endgame".

Id hardly call this "raving" over ''Endgame'', and this was also a thread you regularly posted in, so must have seen it. I also criticised ''United Abominations" quite heavily in another thread. In fact, the only Megadeth album of the last 3 I HAVE raved about is ''The System Has Failed'', and I even found things to criticise about that album! I posted all this stuff on this site. It must be your memory...
16.07.2010 - 22:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.07.2010 at 22:44

It must be your memory...

Yep aaprently. I probably mixed you up with someone else.

Btw I think that Marty also technically wipes the floor with Chris Broderick. And Marty is way more versatile. Just listen to his work with Hawaii, Vixen, Cacophony, Deuce, his solo work, what he does now in Japan.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 22:55
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 22:52

Written by Angelic Storm on 16.07.2010 at 22:44

It must be your memory...

Probably me, lol. I said I liked UA more than The System Has Failed, and liked Endgame a lot too. But not to the point of raving. =P Heck, as far as I know, you quoted me on that, which led to AS's post that she quoted above.

BACK TO TESTAMENT NOW.
----
16.07.2010 - 23:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 22:52

Btw I think that Marty also technically wipes the floor with Chris Broderick. And Marty is way more versatile. Just listen to his work with Hawaii, Vixen, Cacophony, Deuce, his solo work, what he does now in Japan.

I think so. It is very rare for me to criticise entire albums by bands I like, (although I have done it) but there are a lot of albums which I find not to be as good as others, or have a lot of filler. A good example of this, is Kreator's "Outcast", an album I find totally boring aside from maybe 3 songs. (something I also posted on this site a while ago. )

Marty is more versatile for sure. What I meant was, Chris shreds in a way that Marty probably couldnt. But thats all Chris is. A shredder. Marty has the class, the feel, and the emotion in his playing, and thats why I much prefer him to Chris. xD

Okay, back to Testament now....lol
16.07.2010 - 23:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.07.2010 at 23:03

I think so. It is very rare for me to criticise entire albums by bands I like, (although I have done it) but there are a lot of albums which I find not to be as good as others, or have a lot of filler. A good example of this, is Kreator's "Outcast", an album I find totally boring aside from maybe 3 songs. (something I also posted on this site a while ago. )

Marty is more versatile for sure. What I meant was, Chris shreds in a way that Marty probably couldnt. But thats all Chris is. A shredder. Marty has the class, the feel, and the emotion in his playing, and thats why I much prefer him to Chris. xD

Okay, back to Testament now....lol

Marty can shred like mad. He did so on a couple of Hawaii songs and also on one or two Cacophony. But being a shredder does not mean you're technically good, it just measn you can play fast.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 23:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
WHAT ARE YOU DOING ALEX, FIX THAT F**KING NOISE!

Wait, that's S.O.D. Anyway, favorite track off The Legacy? I find it a bit hard to pick, so I'll either null or do a potentially bad move and say "First Strike is Deadly".
----
16.07.2010 - 23:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 23:08
Marty can shred like mad. He did so on a couple of Hawaii songs and also on one or two Cacophony. But being a shredder does not mean you're technically good, it just measn you can play fast.

...lol I can play fast, but there's no way I could play the stuff Chris Broderick plays! Chris is an insanely good sweep picker, he does do the technical stuff very well. But you can be the most technically good player in the world, but if you dont have feel and passion in your playing, then I dont find it very interesting to listen to. Some of Marty's solos you can sing along to, I cant do that with any of Chris's solos. The word that comes to my mind when listening to solos like ''Tornado Of Souls'' and his solo in ''Lucretia'' is passion. I dont feel that when I hear Chris play, even though he is a very talented guitar player. xD

Okay...back to Testament....lol

As much as I loath to agree with Vezzy, my fave song from ''The Legacy" is definitely "First Strike Is Deadly". Its an awesome thrash song, I absolutely love Chuck's scream near the end of it, and Alex's solo in it is one of my faves of all time by him. Especially the melodic part of it. <3
16.07.2010 - 23:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 16.07.2010 at 23:08

WHAT ARE YOU DOING ALEX, FIX THAT F**KING NOISE!

Wait, that's S.O.D. Anyway, favorite track off The Legacy? I find it a bit hard to pick, so I'll either null or do a potentially bad move and say "First Strike is Deadly".

My favourite Testament track didn't make it to The Legacy somehow. And only first made it as a studio version on First Strike Still Deadly. That is discounting the version on the demo and on the Eastern Front: Live AT Ruthies's Inn 2LP where it was featured on the non-live LP
Reign Of Terror. Hell, I remember the first time I heard it. I had bought the Legacy demo and somehow put on side 2 first, so it was the last song to grace my ears off that demo. I was already blown away by Alone In The Dark, Raging Waters, and Burnt Offerings but then came Reign Of Terror. Mothefucking goddamned son of a bitch what a monster. Never had I heard anything as brilliant as that at the time.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 23:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Off The Legacy it would be either Raging Waters, Alone In The Dark (just live the chirus there)or Raging Waters
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 23:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"Reign Of Terror" is definitely best when Zetro sings it. The first time I heard it was on the "Return To The Apocalyptic City" EP. And I really liked it. But the song was really elevated for me a few years later when I heard Zetro singing it. It completely crushed in a way that the earlier version Id heard didnt. Just awesome! Ive also heard Zetro singing other early songs like "Alone In The Dark" and he really does a great job on them. His harsher vocals seems to fit the early stuff slightly better than Chuck's. Even though Chuck is definitely the better singer.
16.07.2010 - 23:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.07.2010 at 23:37

"Reign Of Terror" is definitely best when Zetro sings it. The first time I heard it was on the "Return To The Apocalyptic City" EP. And I really liked it. But the song was really elevated for me a few years later when I heard Zetro singing it. It completely crushed in a way that the earlier version Id heard didnt. Just awesome! Ive also heard Zetro singing other early songs like "Alone In The Dark" and he really does a great job on them. His harsher vocals seems to fit the early stuff slightly better than Chuck's. Even though Chuck is definitely the better singer.

Chuck is a better singer but I prefer Zetro cause of his harsher vocals.
Alone In The Dark is also featured on Frist Strike Still Deadly with Setro doing vocals.

A lot of people slam First Strike Still Deadly but I think it is a great re-recordings album.

Btw Reign Of Terror of course was already featured in live form on the band's Live At Eindhoven ep from 1987.
Hell that was a horrendous Dynamo Open Air with all the rain falling down on my head which was also hit by a bible Stryper threw into the crowd.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 23:48
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 23:44

Written by Angelic Storm on 16.07.2010 at 23:37

Alone In The Dark is also featured on Frist Strike Still Deadly with Setro doing vocals.

A lot of people slam First Strike Still Deadly but I think it is a great re-recordings album.

Btw Reign Of Terror of course was already featured in live form on the band's Live At Eindhoven ep from 1987.
Hell that was a horrendous Dynamo Open Air with all the rain falling down on my head which was also hit by a bible Stryper threw into the crowd.

Lucky.

Anyway, I totally forgot about "Reign of Terror". Awesome song, yes, and I agree that FSSD is a great re-recordings album, just like Thrash Anthems.
----
17.07.2010 - 00:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious

What's funny, is if you listen to the way Chuck sings on the "The Legacy", its very clear that he is trying imitate Zetro at certain times. lol Im sure Chuck had heard the early ''Legacy'' versions of the songs with Zetro singing, and probably because of his age, and he hadnt found his own style yet, he copied Zetro quite a bit on that first album. I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but I noticed it ages ago.

As for FSSD, it is one of the better re-recordings albums Ive heard. (A lot of them suck) Although the highlight of it definitely are the moments when Zetro sings. The other songs are superior in their original forms, but they definitely dont defile their ''legacy'' as many other bands do when they re-record their classic stuff.

Quote:

I actually think I did hear that once many moons ago on vinyl...I cant remember how it sounded at all though!

Haha, that reminds of the story Scott Ian once told about when Anthrax played a show with Stryper. (!?) Stryper threw bibles into the crowd, and the crowd threw all the bibles back at them!
17.07.2010 - 00:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.07.2010 at 00:17

What's funny, is if you listen to the way Chuck sings on the "The Legacy", its very clear that he is trying imitate Zetro at certain times. lol Im sure Chuck had heard the early ''Legacy'' versions of the songs with Zetro singing, and probably because of his age, and he hadnt found his own style yet, he copied Zetro quite a bit on that first album. I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but I noticed it ages ago.

As for FSSD, it is one of the better re-recordings albums Ive heard. (A lot of them suck) Although the highlight of it definitely are the moments when Zetro sings. The other songs are superior in their original forms, but they definitely dont defile their ''legacy'' as many other bands do when they re-record their classic stuff.

Quote:

I actually think I did hear that once many moons ago on vinyl...I cant remember how it sounded at all though!

Haha, that reminds of the story Scott Ian once told about when Anthrax played a show with Stryper. (!?) Stryper threw bibles into the crowd, and the crowd threw all the bibles back at them!

I threw back the bible that hit me as well, missing Michael Sweet by a whisker. Now I regeret not having kept the bible cause I could have got good money for the yellow and black striped bible hahahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.07.2010 - 11:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.07.2010 at 00:22

Written by Angelic Storm on 17.07.2010 at 00:17

Quote:

I threw back the bible that hit me as well, missing Michael Sweet by a whisker. Now I regeret not having kept the bible cause I could have got good money for the yellow and black striped bible hahahaha

Wait, they sell bibles thrown by Stryper on eBay?
----
17.07.2010 - 11:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
You're kidding? A yellow and black striped bible? :O Okay, Ive heard everything now! lol
17.07.2010 - 12:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
The Bible of the Bee(st).
----
17.07.2010 - 13:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
17.07.2010 - 18:59
Candlemass
Defaeco
"The Gathering" Is one of my all time favorite albums!
What song writing and drum work! A perfect thick thrash metal release.
17.07.2010 - 19:07
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Candlemass on 17.07.2010 at 18:59

Yep, any guy who suddenly decides to act death metal after years of being great to mediocre thrashers is definitely thick in the head.
----
17.07.2010 - 19:14
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by vezzy on 17.07.2010 at 19:07

Yep, any guy who suddenly decides to act death metal after years of being great to mediocre thrashers is definitely thick in the head.

If there's any wit in the msg, sorry I don't get it
Are you calling Slayer mediocre? shame on you!
17.07.2010 - 19:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Candlemass on 17.07.2010 at 19:14

wait wat

What the hell does Slayer have to do with this?
----
17.07.2010 - 19:47
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by vezzy on 17.07.2010 at 19:22

Written by Candlemass on 17.07.2010 at 19:14

wait wat

What the hell does Slayer have to do with this?

"any guy who suddenly decides to act death metal after years of being great to mediocre thrashers"
Are you not talking 0f Lombardo? (I didn't get ya)