07. Starving Deserter
08. The Fall And The Guilt
09. Prescience
10. The Myth Arc

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
N/A
If The Body were a person, and you were you to walk into their wardrobe, you'd probably see hundreds upon hundreds of masks. Some richly decorated and ornate, others more rugged and simpler in design, but all representative of one fact: this individual never seems content to settle on just one identity for themselves. They're indecisive, and they have to be ready at all times for the possibility of preferring to go in one direction over another. And watching them is something like sitting through a nuclear war: you're not quite sure of what's going to come next, but you can be sure it'll be pretty damn intense, whatever happens.

Read more ››
published 04.03.2016 | Comments (4)

Found in 11 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 180 users
08.12.2015 - 03:10
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
How kind of them to worry about no one
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.12.2015 - 03:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This is becoming the official ms joke
08.12.2015 - 03:21
Rating: 9
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
AAAAH finally a new album that isn't a collab, WOOHOOO!

The collabs are all pretty nice, just wanted some more of their own work after a while.... and if they pull a Sunn O))) on this one and turn to absolute shit after multiple collaborations, I'm going to hunt down Lee and Chip
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.12.2015 - 05:40
Joe Zombie

Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.12.2015 at 03:21

AAAAH finally a new album that isn't a collab, WOOHOOO!

The collabs are all pretty nice, just wanted some more of their own work after a while.... and if they pull a Sunn O))) on this one and turn to absolute shit after multiple collaborations, I'm going to hunt down Lee and Chip

07.01.2016 - 22:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
That song succeeds on those female vocals (halfway through) alone. Unless the album is chock full of them I can't see this being that interesting. This band constantly feels like it's missing a vital component.
07.01.2016 - 23:56
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I'm liking it.

Far better than Kannon, yeah. The collabs didn't do anything with their musicianship =]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
13.02.2016 - 05:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 07.01.2016 at 22:57

That song succeeds on those female vocals (halfway through) alone. Unless the album is chock full of them I can't see this being that interesting.

Happy to say you're gonna be one happy sonuvabitch
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.02.2016 - 07:49
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Those screams on the intro of "Shelter Is Illusory" sound like a psychotic parrot and utterly comical...at first anyway. Then it just becomes grating.
13.02.2016 - 10:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 13.02.2016 at 05:06

Happy to say you're gonna be one happy sonuvabitch

In that case I guess I have no choice but to give it a whirl.
13.02.2016 - 15:40
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 13.02.2016 at 10:04

In that case I guess I have no choice but to give it a whirl.

Yeah, The Body have never really just used female vocals on one track of an album and then just left everything else hanging, I've noticed. And thank fuck for that, because I can't stand bands who do things like that.... it feels like "yes, let's have one track on here with female vocals, or flute, or banjo!" just for the sake of making that one track the token "weird one" on the album
----

~ II. VII
25.03.2016 - 13:03
Rating: 6
musclassia

Fuck those screechy fucking vocals, they're actually intolerable. I don't think I've ever heard more offputting vocals in my entire life. I'd probably actually like this album without them, the rest of it's quite good.
26.03.2016 - 18:58
Lou Rambler

Best songs are the ones with female vocals. The worst part is the fucking rooster screams in almost every song...I enjoy the album, but happiness can't be complete with those screams...
26.03.2016 - 20:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Glad I'm not the only one that abhor those screeches. A version without them would be most welcome.
26.03.2016 - 22:04
Rating: 4
Diverge

I'm not a fan of this at all. The sound itself is somewhat enthralling and the noisy stuff does go well together at several points, but the songs have little that is substantial that makes me want to listen again. The songs go absolutely nowhere and the sound itself gets tiring very very quickly. I actually don't even think the screams are the worst part of this endeavour. This is my first experience with The Body, so maybe it might grow on me if I listen to more of their splits and other records, but for the time being I'll have to give this a 4.
29.03.2016 - 05:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Diverge on 26.03.2016 at 22:04

I'm not a fan of this at all. The sound itself is somewhat enthralling and the noisy stuff does go well together at several points, but the songs have little that is substantial that makes me want to listen again. The songs go absolutely nowhere and the sound itself gets tiring very very quickly. I actually don't even think the screams are the worst part of this endeavour. This is my first experience with The Body, so maybe it might grow on me if I listen to more of their splits and other records, but for the time being I'll have to give this a 4.

This is a difficult album to jump into without the context of having listened to anything preceding it, because as I said in my review, it's really like a sum up, a bit of everything they've done up to this point. So it can most definitely feel as though it "goes nowhere" just because it's going in so many different directions at once, noise, industrial, black metal, drone, sludge.... previous albums were definitely pretty quirky and out there in their own rights, but a little more restrained in terms of just how many different fruit they threw in the blender

If these guys haven't completely fucked up your interest in them with this one, I'd suggest going to All The Waters Of The Earth Turn To Blood from here. Very cinematic feeling due to the heavy use of choir, and the blending of various genres is more easily discernible, it seems to be many peoples' favorite around here actually
----

~ II. VII
28.04.2016 - 19:57
Rating: 7
musicalkaratekid

Honestly, I thought this was really interesting stuff. Despite the almost consistent barrage of instrumental abrasion and those annoying shrieked vocals (I recall a YT comment saying they sounded like an "angry rooster"...), I actually liked the not-so-delicate fusion of lilting female vocals and sludgy, dismal experimentation. The classical flourishes in opener "Wanderings" and "Starving Deserter" in particular reminded me of Into the Pandemonium's outro, though I know which one I'd prefer as a soundtrack to a vivid nightmare. Whatever, it's a sometimes confusing effort, but for me a mostly enticing one at that.
29.01.2020 - 19:52
Desha
delicious dish
I will never get how people hate these vocals so much.

Amazing album
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
08.11.2020 - 22:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Yeah came back to this today and this and All The Waters Of The Earth Turn To Blood are definitely my two favorite non collab albums from The Body.
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 4844 | This month: 29