Top 20 albums of 2016: 5

Additional info
Recorded 9-10/15 at Finnvox, Sonic Pump & In The Woods Studios
Mixed 10-11/15 at Tico Tico Studio
Mastered 12/15 at Finnvox Studio

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Sharpen your wooden spear and brush your bear pelt, epic heathen metal is making a comeback with the return of one of the most famous Finnish bands out there, Moonsorrow. It has been five years already since the dark sonic haunts of Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa so the release of Jumalten Aika does feel like a return in earnest. Meaning "The Age of Gods", their latest offering is a true rebirth of that larger-than-life pagan metal sound.

Read more ››
published 27.03.2016 | Comments (15)

Found in 72 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 65   Visited by: 1461 users
05.04.2016 - 10:32
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
Yep, probably fan hype and some vote abuse. I remember when Citadel got abuse votes nuked, the drop was pretty brutal!
05.04.2016 - 12:13
Rating: 8
fuckinghostile

Contains some Kivenkantajaesque cheesy riffs and chord progressions which I hoped to never hear on a MS album ever again. This goes for the first and the last song of the album and imo deteriorates the overall experience.
05.04.2016 - 14:53
Sword_Chant

The first track is amazing, but I can't help but feel like the middle of the album isn't as exciting. I might change my mind and it could grow on me more, and it's without a doubt a great album. But for now and imo it's just short of a 9/10.
05.04.2016 - 23:37
Rating: 9
Pikemaster

Written by gnimas on 04.04.2016 at 22:41

Written by Pikemaster on 04.04.2016 at 21:24

Written by gnimas on 03.04.2016 at 01:23

"dark medieval times" tune ripoff?

They actually mentioned that in interview of imperiumi.

What did they say? I don't speak finnish....

Well, they said that they were having their influences for Black Metal albums of 90's. When some of the scene bands started to add folkish stuff to their music. "We wanted to sound something what sounds folk, but not sound as primitive as Dark Medieval Times, though we were having much influences for that record." Not straight quote and sorry for my english skills.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
07.04.2016 - 10:14
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by essbee on 01.04.2016 at 11:15

Written by Pikemaster on 01.04.2016 at 11:09

Holy fuck! Best album since Versäkeet. Nice mix of old school Norwegian Black Metal and Finnish Folk metal. Can't remember when I have been so sold after the first listening like after this.

V:Havitetty blows Verisakeet out of the water, but ok

V:Havitetty was easily their worst album for me.
09.04.2016 - 17:41
essbee

Written by Dark Cornatus on 07.04.2016 at 10:14

Holy fuck! Best album since Versäkeet. Nice mix of old school Norwegian Black Metal and Finnish Folk metal. Can't remember when I have been so sold after the first listening like after this.

You are so wrong about it but I can't argue with an opinion. I'm just really wondering why you think it's their worst, that makes no logical or musical sense.
09.04.2016 - 23:31
sam1oq

Written by LeKiwi on 05.04.2016 at 01:35

Written by sam1oq on 04.04.2016 at 23:12

This album just happens to have the highest rating for a folk record ever on this site with a substantial amount of votes. Gonna check this out for sure.

Votes for popular bands tend to be inflated these days, so I wouldn't get your hopes up xD

Can never be as inflated as older music right? Everything made in the 80s automatically gets a few bonus points .

Gotta give this some time. Black metal is usually very hard for me to swallow...
10.04.2016 - 23:26
scaesura

Written by Sword_Chant on 05.04.2016 at 14:53

The first track is amazing, but I can't help but feel like the middle of the album isn't as exciting. I might change my mind and it could grow on me more, and it's without a doubt a great album. But for now and imo it's just short of a 9/10.

I actually think after the title track it gets better and way more adventurous. Ruttolehto is one of the best things they've done, and Mimisbrunn is pretty damn awesome too.
11.04.2016 - 07:58
essbee

Written by scaesura on 10.04.2016 at 23:26

Written by Sword_Chant on 05.04.2016 at 14:53

I actually think after the title track it gets better and way more adventurous. Ruttolehto is one of the best things they've done, and Mimisbrunn is pretty damn awesome too.

I totally agree with this, but check the profile of the person you are answering to, I don't think he is very much into darker and more emotional songs, which is I why I think he prefers the first one. It's the easiest one to get into too.
15.04.2016 - 16:47
MeloMania

I'm at a loss for words. I'm not the biggest fan of Folk Metal or Black Metal, but this album is awesome. The first playthrough, I felt, meh. But decided to give it another listen, and I am so glad I did. Best of 2016 so far.
20.04.2016 - 01:44
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The first 3 tracks are awesome, easily some of the finest Folk (and BM) I've ever listened to, even by Moonsorrow standards. As for the other two, they failed to really impress me, they just seem to go by unnoticed every time I try to listen to them thoroughly...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
21.04.2016 - 08:34
essbee

Written by MétalNoir on 20.04.2016 at 01:44

The first 3 tracks are awesome, easily some of the finest Folk (and BM) I've ever listened to, even by Moonsorrow standards. As for the other two, they failed to really impress me, they just seem to go by unnoticed every time I try to listen to them thoroughly...

Hmm I honestly feel like track 1 and 3 are the worst here, even though they are still great songs but 2, 4 and 5 are absolute masterpieces, especially 4 and 5.
24.04.2016 - 08:13
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by essbee on 09.04.2016 at 17:41

You are so wrong about it but I can't argue with an opinion. I'm just really wondering why you think it's their worst, that makes no logical or musical sense.

I haven't listened to it in ages, i tried and tried to like it but it was just a borefest of an album. It dragged on for me i guess with no memorable moments. I loved all the other albums besides that one. The one that followed it wasn't overly amazing and dragged at points too, but it had some stand out parts for sure, i much preferred it.
24.04.2016 - 16:11
essbee

Written by Dark Cornatus on 24.04.2016 at 08:13

Written by essbee on 09.04.2016 at 17:41

I haven't listened to it in ages, i tried and tried to like it but it was just a borefest of an album. It dragged on for me i guess with no memorable moments. I loved all the other albums besides that one. The one that followed it wasn't overly amazing and dragged at points too, but it had some stand out parts for sure, i much preferred it.

Yeah it sure is not easy to appreciate, it takes a while to totally understand it. But what kind of memorable moments do you prefer? Because V:Havitetty is FULL of emotional and beautiful moments, like I can't even pinpoint my favorite part, there are just too many. It does seem to drag but the progression of the "muffled" riffs keeps building up through the songs, I just love it. You don't have to like it, I do know what you mean, and of course their other albums are easier to appreciate. But next time you listen to it, just keep an open-mind about it and make sure you do LISTEN (no background listening) to it, it doesn't mean that you will suddenly like it but you might start seeing what the album is all about. Remember that it was also hard for me to appreciate it at first, it's a HUGE grower. You can check Eric M's comments on the album, you will see how his score drastically changed after re-listening to it multiple times.
25.04.2016 - 04:55
Necrodamus

Cannot stop listening to this album. It's the perfect length for a Moonsorrow album, and each listen has me finding something new that I haven't heard during a previous listen. If this turns out to be the greatest album of the year then I am fine with that. Well done, gentlemen.
27.04.2016 - 22:36
Rating: 10
FYA
Destroyer
I dig this so fucking much. Sounds like more blackened Falkenbach.
24.05.2016 - 21:26
Zyk

Moonsorrow is my favorite band, but I've been having trouble getting into this album for almost two months now. It's definitely good, but there's a lot more missing than I expected there would be and the production isn't that good compared to every other album they've done. It's great to hear from these guys again after so long and I love the change in direction because they never fail evolve and to blend new with old. This album has enough going for it to mostly make up for its shortcomings. All the emotion and atmosphere are there even though the sound is weaker. Ville sounds perfect on this album even though he gives an overall less dynamic performance. This still feels like Moonsorrow and it's apparently way more accessible to people than previous albums, but I don't find it to be as memorable.

The first two songs and the two cover songs are great. I'm still working on the other three songs.
03.06.2016 - 13:49
Sojgenske

Written by Zyk on 24.05.2016 at 21:26

Moonsorrow is my favorite band, but I've been having trouble getting into this album for almost two months now. It's definitely good, but there's a lot more missing than I expected there would be and the production isn't that good compared to every other album they've done. It's great to hear from these guys again after so long and I love the change in direction because they never fail evolve and to blend new with old. This album has enough going for it to mostly make up for its shortcomings. All the emotion and atmosphere are there even though the sound is weaker. Ville sounds perfect on this album even though he gives an overall less dynamic performance. This still feels like Moonsorrow and it's apparently way more accessible to people than previous albums, but I don't find it to be as memorable.

Same here
The songs have their qualities and I'm glad that so many people enjoy them.
But for me this album sounds more like a best of than a real new Moonsorrow album and the production annoyed me.
04.06.2016 - 14:38
Himedal

The only problem with this album is that it's not English.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
04.06.2016 - 16:14
Rating: 7
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
How is that a problem?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.06.2016 - 15:55
Hellcult

Written by Himedal on 04.06.2016 at 14:38

The only problem with this album is that it's not English.

That's why it is so gooood!, look at Skuggsja or Rotting Christ this year ?, those albums are great because they are not in English!
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
14.07.2016 - 13:22
Lardypants

I don't have a problem with an album not being sung in English, I find Viking metal sounds better in their native tongue, takes you to the snow covered mountains etc.
Great Album
20.07.2016 - 13:28
3dd

Mimisbrunn. Goddammit Mimisbrunn.

What a piece of pure art and epicness. It's been a while since I've been impressed, even the new Be'lakor didn't reach that.

Good album, awesome track.
19.08.2016 - 19:11
BORT

I wish the vinyl addition included the bonus tracks
01.09.2016 - 23:45
Netzach
Planewalker
Yeah I also want to hear those cover tracks. Awesome album btw.
30.09.2016 - 17:51
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Good album, probably the best melodic cheese stuff Ive heard this year. Loved the flute and choirs at 20.00
17.10.2016 - 11:46
Aries Rising

Written by Lardypants on 14.07.2016 at 13:22

I don't have a problem with an album not being sung in English, I find Norse metal sounds better in their native tongue, takes you to the snow covered mountains etc.
Great Album

Hate to be that guy but Finnish is not Norse.
17.12.2016 - 17:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I don't even like this genre but fuck this band is good. I love this shit.
----
rekt
29.09.2017 - 03:23
solar

Written by tea[m]ster on 17.12.2016 at 17:53

I don't even like this genre but fuck this band is good. I love this shit.

You should check their earlier albums too if you haven't yet.
23.11.2017 - 02:16
Vombatus
Potorro
Went back to this for further listens, even if my interested for folk diminished considerably and barely check albums in the genre nowadays, but must say this is phenomenal. A reminder why this band is by far the best in this genre.
Not that many cheesy, "happy" epic-type of passages, the BM influence is as big as it gets for Moonsorrow. Developed a slight obsession for Mimisbrunn, with that furiously pounding outro. Dayum.

Hits total: 34592 | This month: 28