Metal Storm logo
Deep Purple - To Be Inducted Into Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

Deep Purple are finally being inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame! The ceremony will take place on April 8th, 2016 at Brooklyn, New York's Barclays Center and this year these bands will be inducted: Deep Purple, Cheap Trick, Chicago and Steve Miller. Also this year we will see the induction of hip-hop band N.W.A.

During an interview with Classic Rock, drummer Ian Paice said regarding Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame: "The Hall Of Fame should be embarrassed for not inducting us already. Look at some of the non-entities who've got in. I won't name them, but just have a look at some of those names, and you'll know who I mean. What have they ever done for rock'n'roll? Nothing. Having these artists in before Deep Purple undermines what it is supposed to represent."

Tickets will go on sale to the public during February, with Rock Hall members receiving early access to a limited number of tickets.

Despite being eligible before, it was the first year on the ballot for Cheap Trick, Chicago and Steve Miller, while Deep Purple and N.W.A have appeared before. The original quartet and septet lineups, respectively, of Cheap Trick and Chicago are being inducted, while the Deep Purple roster will encompass the group's first three lineups, including three teams of singers and bass players. Some of the intriguing reunion possibilities for the ceremony include Chicago with singer/bassist Peter Cetera for the first time since 1985 and with drummer Danny Seraphine since 1990, Cheap Trick with estranged drummer Bun E. Carlos, and Deep Purple with guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who's been gone since 1993.

Metallica's James Hetfield included Deep Purple on a list of acts they wanted to see in the Hall Of Fame: "We're somewhat of a heavy band and we have a small list that we'd like to also put some nods out and maybe plant a little seed, it's a band called Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motörhead, who we would love to invite through the door now."

Source: rockhall.com
Band profile: Deep Purple
Posted: 17.12.2015 by nicaZe

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 13   Visited by: 88 users
17.12.2015 - 19:51
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
*Obligatory paragraph about how much the RARHOF sucks, how Deep Purple should have been inducted long ago and how the fact that they haven't been means the Hall of Fame lacks any credibility.*

Anyways, it's about time. Don't see why they didn't include Mark IV though. Or the subsequent Marks for that matter.
17.12.2015 - 19:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Azarath on 17.12.2015 at 19:51

Don't see why they didn't include Mark IV though. Or the subsequent Marks for that matter.

Simple, cause only Mark I, II and III are worth anything musically
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2015 - 20:33
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2015 at 19:58

Simple, cause only Mark I, II and III are worth anything musically

You shut your mouth. Seriously though, we're talking about one album and one more member (who's dead). Why not throw that lineup in as well? Mark IV is the logical progression and culmination of Mark III and after that the band split up. I sort of understand ignoring "the reunions and later work", but not "the last album". Just seems like an odd cutoff-point.
17.12.2015 - 21:43
sbgmetal

Fuck a hall of fame I really can't believe some metal bands aren't on it
17.12.2015 - 22:11
ToxicGriever

I guess they finally kissed enough ass and/or figured out who to pay to get in.
17.12.2015 - 22:20
Ocean Sage

Happy for N.W.A, Chicago, and finally Deep Purple. I still hope Yes gets in before other members die.
17.12.2015 - 23:23
Nicko's Nose

About goddamn time.
17.12.2015 - 23:29
Akula

I dont care. I mean I LOVE Deep Purple. But that Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame means NOTHING to me, Deep Purple doesnt need any mainstream shit recognition.
They already became legends decades ago.
18.12.2015 - 02:38
bj_waters

Written by Ocean Sage on 17.12.2015 at 22:20

Happy for N.W.A, Chicago, and finally Deep Purple. I still hope Yes gets in before other members die.

I suppose one can hope. At this point, being snubbed is feeling pretty normal at this point. Some Yes fans are seeing it as a blessing that they haven't gotten in yet because of the mess that is RnRHoF. Have you looked at all the not-rock-bands they've inducted? Ridiculous.
18.12.2015 - 02:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by bj_waters on 18.12.2015 at 02:38

I suppose one can hope. At this point, being snubbed is feeling pretty normal at this point. Some Yes fans are seeing it as a blessing that they haven't gotten in yet because of the mess that is RnRHoF. Have you looked at all the not-rock-bands they've inducted? Ridiculous.

What is non-rock according to you and why?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2015 - 02:44
Ocean Sage

I don't even care about all the dumb random people they induct or the non-rock and roll artists as I understand the massive undeniable influence that groups like N.W.A or Public Enemy have on music. My issue is that they just need to keep inducting the other rock groups that influenced rock and roll like YES.
18.12.2015 - 10:43
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by Azarath on 17.12.2015 at 19:51

*Obligatory paragraph about how much the RARHOF sucks, how Deep Purple should have been inducted long ago and how the fact that they haven't been means the Hall of Fame lacks any credibility.*

Anyways, it's about time. Don't see why they didn't include Mark IV though. Or the subsequent Marks for that matter.

with so many line up changes over the years, I brely know what MKIV is supposed to be. Isn't MKIV the Come taste the Band line up? Well, Tommy Bolin passed away and DP disbanded for a while. MK5 is supposed to be the Slave & Masters line up. The sixth line up was on the first two albums with Morse, while Jon Lord was still with them. The seventh line up is the current line up with Don Airey.
It's a tough thing to organize, will Blackmore join them for the event? Paice has already jokingly declared that such an event could get violent - Blackmore just does not get well with people, he's fallen out especially with Gillan, David Coverdale and Nick Samper (DP's first bassist). I don't know what Rod Evans is doing these days.
19.12.2015 - 06:14
bj_waters

Written by Ocean Sage on 18.12.2015 at 02:44
I don't even care about all the dumb random people they induct or the non-rock and roll artists as I understand the massive undeniable influence that groups like N.W.A or Public Enemy have on music. My issue is that they just need to keep inducting the other rock groups that influenced rock and roll like YES.

Oh, don't get me wrong: those groups deserve accolades for their impact on their genres. They're just not rock and roll! And (call me crazy) I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should just have rock and roll!

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2015 at 02:40

What is non-rock according to you and why?

Funk, soul, R&B, jazz, pop, country, orchestral music, trance, house, and other electronic genres. And yet the RnRHoF has plenty of artists who (while being great and influential) are not rock music. Want a list? I'm giving you a list. The following are artists who have been inducted who (IMO) do not play rock music:

James Brown (Soul, Funk), Aretha Franklin (R&B, Soul), Marvin Gaye (R&B, Funk, Soul), The Supremes (R&B, Soul, Disco), Stevie Wonder (R&B, Soul, Funk), Bob Marley (Reggae), Martha and the Vandellas (R&B, Soul, Pop), Gladys Knight & The Pips (R&B, Soul), The Jackson 5 (R&B, Soul), Earth, Wind, & Fire (Funk), Bonnie Raitt (Country), Michael Jackson (Soul, Pop), Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (Hip hop), Leonard Cohen (Pop, Folk), Run-D.M.C. (Rap), ABBA (Pop, Disco), Beastie Boys (Rap), Randy Newman (Pop, Sountracks), Public Enemy (Rap), Donna Summer (Disco, R&B, Soul), Hall & Oates (Pop), N.W.A. (Rap)

Sure, it's not a super-long list, but these people are in, and yet bands like Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, ELP, Dire Straits, MC5, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dick Dale, T-Rex, Styx, Boston, Journey, Kansas, Bad Company, The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Motorhead, Husker Du, The Cars, Soundgarden, The Doobie Brothers, Def Leppard, Pat Benatar, Steppenwolf, Supertramp, Black Flag, Blue Oyster Cult, Electric Light Orchestra, The Guess Who, Three Dog Night, and Thin Lizzy (among others) ARE NOT!

Now, of course, I would be totally fine if they owned up to this and simply called it the "Contemporary Music Hall of Fame" or even the "Blues-based Music Hall of Fame". Then it would be way more accurate than it is. However, I admit that I would then get upset because they don't have all the electronic music pioneers like Tangerine Dream, Giorgio Moroder, Jean Michel Jarre, and Kraftwerk.

TL;DR - I arbitrate the arbitrary.

Hits total: 2041 | This month: 2