Amazing EP though. I really wish the new album sounded this good :/

31.12.2015 - 01:03
Rating: 8
musclassia
Staff
Written by Guest on 30.12.2015 at 20:26

Joe, you forgot album artworks =P

Amazing EP though. I really wish the new album sounded this good :/

Came here after checking out the link to these guys in the shoutbox and checking out the band's page. I take it it's not worth checking out the new album?

I have to say, Bastards Of The Hillside is a lot of fun, but it doesn't really feel all that much like death metal to me for some reason - too melodic perhaps, but I feel like I've heard similar riffs on some of the folk/viking metal albums I've encountered in my time
31.12.2015 - 02:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by musclassia on 31.12.2015 at 01:03

Came here after checking out the link to these guys in the shoutbox and checking out the band's page. I take it it's not worth checking out the new album?

I have to say, Bastards Of The Hillside is a lot of fun, but it doesn't really feel all that much like death metal to me for some reason - too melodic perhaps, but I feel like I've heard similar riffs on some of the folk/viking metal albums I've encountered in my time

Yeah, that's the thing, it's not really death metal is it? I've had similar problems with Arghoslent before (very similar band, amazingly racist, but make great music). To me it seems based in heavy metal but with a melodic death twist or something. I can see what you mean too though. Something like Forefather wouldn't be too far off this.

The new one I didn't get very far in as I was quite put off by the sound. You might have better luck than me, so give it a go. i probably should too, I just get really attached to sounds, I guess. The songs are undoubtedly similar, but the sound just hurts my face.
31.12.2015 - 17:57
Rating: 8
musclassia
Staff
Written by Guest on 31.12.2015 at 02:54

Yeah, that's the thing, it's not really death metal is it? I've had similar problems with Arghoslent before (very similar band, amazingly racist, but make great music). To me it seems based in heavy metal but with a melodic death twist or something. I can see what you mean too though. Something like Forefather wouldn't be too far off this.

The new one I didn't get very far in as I was quite put off by the sound. You might have better luck than me, so give it a go. i probably should too, I just get really attached to sounds, I guess. The songs are undoubtedly similar, but the sound just hurts my face.

Yeah, I definitely get a Forefather + melodeath feel to it.

Also, having now listened to this EP and the full-length, certainly the change in production has a big effect - not sure for better or worse, as I'm generally fine with a relatively clean production in extreme metal as long as it carries some punch, but I imagine the killer riff at around 1:00 in Bastards of the Hillside that hooked me onto the EP wouldn't be served so well with the same production. Also, the new album feels a bit more focussed around mid-tempo pace and perhaps loses a bit of its snarl as a result. Still, it does its job for the most part - I imagine you'd still moderately enjoy it if you dig this EP so much

Hits total: 1088 | This month: 21