02. Appât [feat. Helene Muesser]
03. Mélas | Khōlé [feat. Neige]
04. Naufrage
05. Houle
06. Klarträumer [feat. Vincent Legac]
07. Vide
08. Hypoxie [feat. Helena and Vincent Legac]
09. Bruine

Déluge really like blastbeats. They like to blasturbate right in yo' ear hole. But what makes Aether an interesting listen is what's going on afterwards.

Déluge, a black metal meets post-hardcore French act love to put the hammer down and go balls out blasting away. Every song on this album features a Mach 4 outburst. Or two. Drumming and trem-picking as fast as they can while the lead singer shouts away. Hey, blasturbating can be fun. I like the occasional blasturbation session and I imagine you might as well. And I dig some of the beats the drummer comes up with when "braking" from pounding to more mid-tempo.

Then there is the change up. In addition to punishing their instruments, the album also sees track just give way to reverb, clean guitar sparsely played over the sound of rain. It almost sounds like they shifted into a Disintegration-era The Cure b-side. Sometimes these interludes are augmented by a clean sung vocal harmony (bonjour, Neige) or some beautiful piano melodies, and on occasion birds chirping softly in the background. Yes, you read that correctly. Birds chirping softly.

The two extremes play well with one another. For starters there is something vaguely almost hypnotically relaxing about the shimmering effect of their full-tilt follies, and the quieter moments are definitely of the kind that can delightfully lull you to some zen sleep. You know, before the distortion and screaming kicks in again.

My favorite track on the album, also known as the song to check out if you want to see what I am babbling about, would be the nine minute "Klartraumer".

Biggest drawback of the album is the songs seem to get longer as it goes on. The first half, up to and through "Klartraumer" seems to go by quickly. I was enjoying it well enough the first pass through, looked down to see I was already well into the fourth track, "Naufrage". But the final three songs just seem to drag a bit? they are more of the same, only after the album has already peaked. Perhaps it could have been edited or trimmed a bit.

Still, an enjoyable listen that I'd recommend checking out if the description piqued the slightest bit of your interest.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 06.01.2016 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 204 users
07.01.2016 - 01:59
Constantine
Account deleted
"Deluge really like blastbeats. They like to blasturbate right in yo' ear hole. "

ok, I died laughing from this line, idk why.
07.01.2016 - 02:05
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Looks like someone is doing some Les Acteurs de l'Ombre reviews
07.01.2016 - 02:13
Constantine
Account deleted
You didnt lie about the blastbeats tho, jesus.

Some great songs. Klarträumer's second half is a highlight. Vide is awesome. etc.

I have a long background with funeral doom and stuff, so I don't mind the long song length, i actually like it.
07.01.2016 - 02:54
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 07.01.2016 at 02:13

Some great songs. Klarträumer's second half is a highlight. Vide is awesome. etc.

I have a long background with funeral doom and stuff, so I don't mind the long song length, i actually like it.

it's not the song length so much as album length following the same repeating theme. just sort of dragged on... a lot of the long doom albums i review end on the "thesis", the equiv of Klartraumer, rather than continue on after.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.01.2016 - 16:54
Constantine
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 07.01.2016 at 02:54

Written by Guest on 07.01.2016 at 02:13

it's not the song length so much as album length following the same repeating theme. just sort of dragged on... a lot of the long doom albums i review end on the "thesis", the equiv of Klartraumer, rather than continue on after.

Sure, cutting 2-3 songs and rearranging them could make it far more solid. Though its in my territory, I don't ever complain about albums dragging (almost never) if the sound is enjoyable.
08.01.2016 - 03:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Yeah, it's just a matter of fine-tuning at that point.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.01.2016 - 15:47
koob

The song with Neige is awesome, pretty good album
10.01.2016 - 17:04
Malignar

I love the blasting, def the best thing about the album other than the interesting rain samples. The guitar "riffs" (or lack there of) need some work. And the vocals are pretty bad for hardcore vocals. Def a basis for good things in the future though.
14.02.2016 - 04:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I downloaded this in 24-bit. When I hit play on the first song, it nearly blew me off my computer chair. Holy drums...
----
rekt
18.02.2016 - 11:06
Kuroboshi

Written by Malignar on 10.01.2016 at 17:04

I love the blasting, def the best thing about the album other than the interesting rain samples. The guitar "riffs" (or lack there of) need some work. And the vocals are pretty bad for hardcore vocals. Def a basis for good things in the future though.

Agreed. Pretty sweet atmosphere, but the non-existence of interesting riffs makes this album's replay value drop through the floor.

Hits total: 6072 | This month: 13