Metal Storm logo
Myrkur - Getting Death Threats, Limits Facebook Messages

One-woman black metal project Myrkur always seems to generate a lot of discussions, maybe because she is a woman in a predominantly male dominated genre, maybe because she gets a lot of attention. Whatever the cause may be, things has been taken too far now as Myrkur, aka Amalie Bruun, has posted online about getting tired of receiving death threats via Facebook. Bruun doesn't blame the metal community as a whole but points out that those threats and messages are coming mostly from American men and occasionally Eastern European.

The multi-instrumentalist has posted the following on her Facebook page regarding the matter: "I know that some of you have noticed you can no longer send me private messages. The reason for this is I am getting tired of the death threats and hate emails. Believe it or not but that s*** looses it's charm after a while. I am of course sad that I then no longer can receive personal letters from supporters + fan-art in private messages, but please continue to post your beautiful pieces on this page or to my instagram @myrkurmyrkur."

She also told Noisey: "I have decided long ago to not publish any screenshots or names of the people who threaten / hate me, because I don't wish to feed it or give them their 15 min of hater fame. That is the truth, I could have done it a million times, but they don't deserve the attention and a lot of them also use fake profiles. The ones who use real profiles are more often than not in a band themselves, so if I publish anything about them, I would also involuntarily be promoting their shitty bands. Another reason not to do it. If anyone is interested in showcasing the hate I get, there is plenty shit about me on the internet they can find. Hate videos on YouTube, scroll a comment section from an article about me or even my own Facebook etc etc. There is enough to go around! (and twitter, some writers tweet passive aggressive tweets about me, poorly hidden hate, while discrediting my talent as 'just marketing' or 'just because she is a woman in a man dominated genre'."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Myrkur
Posted: 08.01.2016 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 47   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 247 users
09.01.2016 - 23:18
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 09.01.2016 at 23:03

The leftie way and the things metal used to be anti about is more agreed with in mainstream society now, so maybe they have to go the opposite direction so the can still be angry anti society

That'd be quite amusing wouldn't it? (if not partly sad)
Maybe that actually is part of this new trend I'm noticing, who knows...
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.01.2016 - 23:29
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2016 at 23:18

That'd be quite amusing wouldn't it? (if not partly sad)
Maybe that actually is part of this new trend I'm noticing, who knows...

Yeah very sad, but how else are you going to stay angry and anti haha

......if only deadone was here to answer your question
09.01.2016 - 23:32
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I wonder what deadone would say about this.

Why did you guys ban him!? xD
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.01.2016 - 23:34
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Karlabos on 09.01.2016 at 23:32

Something about it being the fault of Muslims, I'm sure. And I don't want to derail this thread by turning it into a discussion of all that, if you're curious, just read through the comments on the news piece about Ashmedi from Melechesh getting into a bar fight, that's where everything came to a head
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.01.2016 - 00:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
One thing I don't agree with... She should report it. Names and all. Seriously, death threats shouldn't be looked differentely just because they were done online. I understand where's she's coming from but disagree with it as it gives off the idea that she gives up. And what the fuck was that about "it will give those guys and their band free press"? Are you kidding me? Publish the fucking names, it's pretty simple, the bands might even be boycotted by some of their fans (unless they are as braindead that is).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.01.2016 - 08:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

May be he went over-the-top with his smart answers and that boiled our Bitter's aggression and send him on a honeymoan for 50 days I guess. Also, deadone took "Islam" and "Feminism" thread quite seriously and fired his opinions. He wasn't welcomed back when someone counter attack with their opinions too. Thus, set him a lesson to be "friendly" in a community like us.
10.01.2016 - 13:06
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
It was just a rhetorical question. I meant it more like "why did you guys have to ban him". I'm aware that he was banned because of the Melechesh thread mess =p

Anyway, back to Myrkur...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.01.2016 - 13:29
Uldreth

Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2016 at 18:11

<Post>

Do note though that I'd say this was always the case. There was one episode of South Park, I don't exactly remember, when one of the boys wants to join the goth kids, and the moral of the story was that they want the guy not to be a mainstream conformist, which naturally means that he has to look exactly like them and listen to exactly what they listen to, lol.

I find that episode accurately characterizes the inherent hypocrisy of these so-called "nonconformist" subcultures like metal.

The metal culture always claimed they were about nonconformism, but when it came to bands that didn't play what was cool within the subculture or didn't look how it was cool within the subculture, they were judged and dismissed. Examples include the whole true metal-false metal bullshit ever since the 80s, as well as topics already discussed here, such as christian black metal bands like Antestor or Horde during the time that was second wave BM's golden age.
10.01.2016 - 17:32
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2016 at 18:11

I just want to note something I've observed lately that I find to be very ironic

Remember the days when metal music as a whole was extremely leftist, and there was generally a lot of rejection of mainstream cultural norms within it due to the more conservative elements in society consistently scapegoating the genre as a negative societal influence? What happened to that, exactly? Because today, for some reason or another, I see a startling number of metal fans who actually seem to have shifted more to those conservative value systems than anything else. And they have become just as condescending and bigoted towards elements within the metal genre perceived as not measuring up to certain standards as groups like the PMRC were towards metal in the 80s.

I've heard people, both online and unfortunately in person as well, making comments about this like "this isn't a woman's role," "this isn't what black metal is about," and shit like that in regards to this woman. What the fuck? Was there always this sort of bullshit machismo and misogyny in the metal community, or am I missing something? It's nothing but ironic and to a certain extent hypocritical to me that this genre that essentially started out as a combative voice against conservative bullshit in society and persecution of people for being different now has individuals within it who are displaying that very behavior, on quite a noticeable scale, might I add.

Another example happened just a few days ago: Municipal Waste putting out this anti Donald Trump shirt. And there are actually fans complaining about it and defending Trump! 30 years ago, I would like to think anyway, if that had been an anti-Reagan shirt, metalheads everywhere would've just been eating it up with their middle fingers high in the air yelling "FUCK THE SYSTEM!" loudly. No questions asked.

So what the fuck is going on here, exactly?

Youre trying to discuss two topics here that not necessary have to do with each other. Heavy metal was for boys, a good thing is that girls get into metal these days as feminism is growing stronger.
The other thing is that there isnt a subculture that hasnt been eaten up by capitalism yet. Everything is for sale. That probably means that the subculture loses its founding ideology and is left with the music.
11.01.2016 - 05:22
ToxicGriever

Punk is far more left-wing than metal ever was and has at the same time been a breeding ground for some of the most backward looking misogyny. Look up the reaction the broader punk scene had to the riot girl movement in the late 80's/early 90's. You will find the exact same kind of disgusting behavior.
11.01.2016 - 13:53
Vombatus
Potorro
Idk, there've been lots of women playing extreme metal in the past and I don't remember any suffering such polarizing reactions, which makes me believe the issue with Myrkur lies somewhere else than the gender thing.
11.01.2016 - 14:00
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ It's because she also sang on a pop band, I think
----
- Reimu Hakurei
11.01.2016 - 14:43
Vombatus
Potorro
^Maybe. Or because it's a completely new band that offers nothing new and somehow gets signed to a big label, appears on mag covers, gets help from known musicians and all the latest "trendy" blablabla associated with it...

I bet anything that she would get none of those death threads if the band would have never gotten "popular" and simply been one more of those done to death BM bands (which should probably be the case). Some people can be really bitter of someone else's (undeserved?) success.
11.01.2016 - 17:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vombatus on 11.01.2016 at 14:43

^Maybe. Or because it's a completely new band that offers nothing new and somehow gets signed to a big label, appears on mag covers, gets help from known musicians and all the latest "trendy" blablabla associated with it...

I bet anything that she would get none of those death threads if the band would have never gotten "popular" and simply been one more of those done to death BM bands (which should probably be the case). Some people can be really bitter of someone else's (undeserved?) success.

Derserved or not... There's no excuse to that kind of behavior (I know you weren't implying that, I'm just adding to your comment).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2016 - 17:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2016 at 23:34

Something about it being the fault of Muslims, I'm sure. And I don't want to derail this thread by turning it into a discussion of all that, if you're curious, just read through the comments on the news piece about Ashmedi from Melechesh getting into a bar fight, that's where everything came to a head

those were WHITE American Christians who did it its more Rasputin issue , he is defending those, and saying those other are blame, this time daddy would be calm , I suppose
I suggested orthoxians are equally as muslims in religuse factor he started bitching... look humen rights in his beloved Rus and Saudi ... equal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.01.2016 - 00:07
Spirit of dead

I think heavy metal music was always misogynistic. Most of the fans are male, a lot of it is really macho and it seems the only "acceptable" females are pretty ones ala the chicks from Nightwish or Epica or Lacuna Coil. Women in metal used to a novelty ala Girlschool or Doro out of Warlock.

It's actually probably the best it's ever been but it's still a largely male dominated genre.

Whatever the case, sending death threats to Myrkur is sad and pathetic.
14.01.2016 - 04:34
Malignar

Written by Vombatus on 08.01.2016 at 23:59

The internet acting like the internet. Intolerable!

Haha this.

Internet fools will be internet fools. It's a shame you can't find out who they are in real life. No consequences for their actions creates this behavior. I'm saying this and I find her music to be average at best. I understand people try to fight back against bands that have big hype and music that is way below the level of the hype. But death threats are way over the line.

Hits total: 4424 | This month: 8