04. The Kids Who Wanna Play With The Dead
05. It Snows In Hell [feat. Bruce Kulick]
06. Who's Your Daddy?
07. Hard Rock Hallelujah
08. They Only Come Out At Night [feat. Udo Dirkschneider]
09. The Chainsaw Buffet [feat. Jay Jay French]
10. Good To Be Bad
11. The Night Of The Loving Dead
12. Supermonstars (The Anthem Of The Phantoms)
13. Would You Love A Monsterman? '06 [2006 Re-release bonus] [2007 Vinyl Version]
14. Mr. Killjoy [2006 Re-release bonus] [2007 Vinyl Version]
15. EviLove [2006 Re-release bonus] [2007 Vinyl Version]
16. Devil Is A Loser [live] [2007 Vinyl Version]
17. Hard Rock Hallelujah [live] [2007 Vinyl Version]
18. Would You Love A Monsterman? [live] [2007 Vinyl Version]

Disc I [Special Edition bonus DVD]
01. Live At Market Square
02. Hello Athens
+ Who's Your Daddy? [video]
+ Hard Rock Hallelujah [video]
+ Would You Love A Monsterman? '06 [video]

Who hasn't heard of Lordi? Who hasn't heard about their triumph in the Eurovision Song Contest 2006? I've been watching this contest for years and it was about time to see something different! I have to admit that before that I hadn't even heard Lordi's name, but after the whole contest thing and the noise about them, I went on to see who they really are. Many things have been told about them, some good, but mostly bad. Most of them were lies from people that had a purpose to keep them away from the contest. They only achieved to make them infamous across Europe and boost their album on the top of music charts in most E.B.U. countries.

So, "The Arockalypse" is the album that brought them into the light, the album that made them rich and famous! Many people originally were lighthearted about their victory but they later refused to listen to them since they considered them as commercialized and something like a bad copy of KISS and other bands. Personally, I never liked KISS, but I really enjoyed listening to this album by Lordi. I can easily characterize it as a mix of Glam Rock and Heavy Metal. I loved the sound of their guitars and the vocal abilities of their singer, both on this album and live. I generally loved this album and the band, both for their music and their stage image.

The album itself is a great piece. It begins with a weird intro of news broadcasting about a monster invasion which is actually the first act of the Arockalpse, the Rock Apocalypse! Of course the highlight of the album is the song which helped them invade and conquer Europe, "Hard Rock Hallelujah" but nearly all songs are amazing. Some of them feature guest musicians from bands like Twisted Sister, Accept and KISS, bands that were the main influence of Lordi. This lethal mix makes the album even more irresistible. The sound still remains the same, since these guest stars only took place in the recordings and not in the composing of the music. The only song that sounded a bit different was "They Only Come Out at Night" where Udo Dirkschneider participates in the vocals. The whole album is pleasant and easy to listen to every time; I never got bored of it and I don't think I ever will. It's interesting, with nice music, clever and funny lyrics and always in time! I recommend it to all of you! Behold the monsters that changed the history of a whole festival and became the first rock band to win the Eurovision contest (and also gave Finland its first victory there)!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by iaberis | 02.03.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 140 users
15.03.2007 - 00:48
Q
Account deleted
31.03.2007 - 15:12
Christ_13
Account deleted
This is pure shit!! It's the best way to describe this thing/album..
13.05.2007 - 16:31
Rating: 9
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Guest on 31.03.2007 at 15:12

This is pure shit!! It's the best way to describe this thing/album..

Can you explain your opinion please?
----
Bitch! Please
17.09.2007 - 07:53
The Kremlin
Account deleted
I love The Chainsaw Buffet. The secret ingredient screams! That's about it.
20.10.2007 - 18:43
MrEddieG
They are another Gwar
06.02.2008 - 02:08
Rating: 7
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Nice review, and a great band. ^^ Their are some serious classics on this album like Would you Love a Monster Man?, It Snows in Hell and Hard Rock Hallelujah! They also are cool to watch live.
06.02.2008 - 14:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well they are very much "mainstream" and "commercial", i´d say...and i will give less for originality and for songwriting...with performance i agree - they are showmen - and the production they have great too - just take how many people (and especially not metalheads) know them...

so well, they are some kind of "primitive" music, but as well their music is quite easy to "get into" and quite catchy...i will rate it somewhere between 7 and 8 overall
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.03.2008 - 18:08
Talvi
Yeah iaberis, dis band sucks, booooooooooooo!!! kill him!! bitch! die!
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
19.03.2008 - 23:24
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
I like lordi, and i usually dont listen to glam.
----
Seize the weed of production!
20.03.2008 - 09:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by MrEddieG on 20.10.2007 at 18:43

They are another Gwar

Perhaps you havn't actually listened to one of the two, because you'd notice they sound completely different.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.03.2008 - 19:13
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Doc G. on 20.03.2008 at 09:10

Written by MrEddieG on 20.10.2007 at 18:43

They are another Gwar

Perhaps you havn't actually listened to one of the two, because you'd notice they sound completely different.

I have to agree on that. He just said this cause they were similar costumes. I bet he's never heard any of them.
----
Bitch! Please
23.03.2008 - 01:43
jaeger
Account deleted
Of course it's catchy and some songs sound just like disco (just replace the guitar by a keyboard and change the way they sing), but well that's glam. It's still a funny as hell, I like their spirit.
27.09.2009 - 02:03
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This was great stuff for me in the times i thought Linkin Park are fine metal band...
----

10.10.2009 - 21:12
silenius
Ear rape
12.10.2009 - 22:37
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by silenius on 10.10.2009 at 21:12

Ear rape

checking your fav bands list, i'd say your taste in music is an ear rape
----
Bitch! Please
12.10.2009 - 22:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You are about to defend Lordi? why?
----

12.10.2009 - 23:01
iaberis
Advice Troll
I ain't defending em... just saying a fact, most of his fav bands are noise
----
Bitch! Please
12.10.2009 - 23:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by iaberis on 12.10.2009 at 23:01

Checked his bandlist and all those bands are superior to that popband Lordi.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2009 - 23:33
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2009 at 23:32

whatever
----
Bitch! Please
12.10.2009 - 23:34
iaberis
Advice Troll
You all just hate Lordi cause they won the Eurovision Song Contest...
----
Bitch! Please
12.10.2009 - 23:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by iaberis on 12.10.2009 at 23:33

whatever

You are actually saying that Opeth Moonspell Vintersorg Rotting Christ Amon Amarth Riverside are noise?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2009 - 23:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by iaberis on 12.10.2009 at 23:34

Nope, that is actually the one GOOD thing they have done.
But musically you can't call their music Heavy Metal by any stretch of the imagination.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2009 - 23:40
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2009 at 23:36

whatever

You are actually saying that Opeth Moonspell Vintersorg Rotting Christ Amon Amarth Riverside are noise?

Nope but Cattle Decapitation, Mayhem and some more are, but that's a huge talk irrelevant with Lordi and this review
----
Bitch! Please
12.10.2009 - 23:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by iaberis on 12.10.2009 at 23:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2009 at 23:36

whatever

Nope but Cattle Decapitation, Mayhem and some more are, but that's a huge talk irrelevant with Lordi and this review

It is relevant cause he said Lordi are ear rape and you answered his taste in music is ear rape instead.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2009 - 23:51
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2009 at 23:42

It is relevant cause he said Lordi are ear rape and you answered his taste in music is ear rape instead.

Ah, my point is that people who don't like a genre and listen to something different, shouldn't go bash bands of it since it's all a matter of taste. If I don't like grindcore I don't go bashing it... Thus have an opinion on stuff you like. It's ironic for someone into extreme metal saying Lordi is ear rape when more than half of this planet population should agree that his music is noise / ear rape.
----
Bitch! Please
12.10.2009 - 23:52
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2009 at 23:37

Written by iaberis on 12.10.2009 at 23:34

Nope, that is actually the one GOOD thing they have done.
But musically you can't call their music Heavy Metal by any stretch of the imagination.

Totally agreed, Marcel.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
13.10.2009 - 00:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by iaberis on 12.10.2009 at 23:51

is that people who don't like a genre and listen to something different, shouldn't go bash bands of it since it's all a matter of taste. If I don't like grindcore I don't go bashing it... Thus have an opinion on stuff you like. It's ironic for someone into extreme metal saying Lordi is ear rape when more than half of this planet population should agree that his music is noise / ear rape.

Here we go again with the lame "it's all a matter of taste" phrase. No, not everything is a matter of taste. It is safe to say that 99% of the bands he mentioned are better instrumentalists than the guys in Lordi. Lordi is bad hard rock band when comparing them to other hard rock bands as well.
For you extreme metal is ear rape, for me pop music and stuff such as Lordi is ear rape. Their music being totally overporduced pop drivel which doesn't challenge the listener at all. Lordi fitted right into the entire Eurovision Song Festival crwod due to their pop drivel.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 00:19
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2009 at 00:09

For you extreme metal is ear rape, for me pop music and stuff such as Lordi is ear rape. Their music being totally overproduced pop drivel which doesn't challenge the listener at all. Lordi fitted right into the entire Eurovision Song Festival crowd due to their pop drivel.

I have the same feeling. Superficial shitty pop music hurts my ears. It's not even art but shit released only for money.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
13.10.2009 - 13:22
silenius
I actually liked some of the songs on lordis first album, but this is for me nothing but pure lifeless crap, and no i dont hate heavy metal per cé, im a huge grave digger fan, and i listen to hell of alot of symphonic/power metal, so i dont have anything about the genre but i dont even consider lordi to be metal at all,

and yes i voted for lordi in the eurovision song contest:P not because of the band itself but to have the chance of a hard rock band winning for once,

but again, hidious music that gives me panic attacks.

and btw marcel, youre taste in music is great^^
21.10.2009 - 16:14
FleshRequiem
Looks like people here seem to be a little too serious here. Throwing words that music should be challenging, and how ears are soo hurt by pop drivel like Lordi. Good for you, but whatever happened to having, you know, the ancient thing called good ol FUN in music that has been lacking in hard rock and metal for such a long time?
But of course, every band now has to be serious, angry tr00, kVlt and all those other ridiculous garbage sounds called "metal" music
Well good sirs, I take it you know Lordi is a HARD ROCK band not a metal one? And I daresay they are not bad instrumentalists at all. Have you seen them perform live? Have you taken the time to rock out to their albums? Until you read up a bit on Mr. Lordi and the artists he works with, I recommend you don't speak about Lordi at all.

Hits total: 6135 | This month: 22