04. Fish On
05. Children Of The Sun
06. Home Sweet Home
07. Cowboy
08. Golden Shower
09. Yukon
10. Praise Abort
11. That's My Heart [deluxe edition bonus]

Skills In Pills can be very off-putting at first. Given the lyrical content, it isn't difficult to see why, but it requires a certain period of adjustment before it can sink its fangs into you. At the end of the rainbow waits an inexplicably endearing work of cybernetic craftsmanship.

The language barrier has never been a roadblock to Rammstein's international success, but their barrel-chested tank of a frontman has decided to give German-speakers a rest and spin his perverted yarns in English instead. These warped, unseemly tales of drugs, fetishism, and mermaid-related debauchery mirror Till's Deutsch exploits, but in English this time for wider amusement. If you happen to speak both languages? all the better for you. Probably best to hide the children first.

Comparisons to Rammstein are, of course, inevitable. The highly prolific Peter Tägtgren, being so well-established himself, isn't about to ape another band's style. Where Rammstein roll right over songs like Tiger tanks with gut-punch riffs and concussive percussion, Tägtgren opts for a thinner and less-prominent guitar presence, sometimes subject to pedals and effects - something more Tägtgren-y. He utilizes keyboards and industrial sound effects in a different manner from Rammstein, building up larger set pieces and refraining from jarring, staccato attacks. Overall, Lindemann places more emphasis on atmosphere and mood than on the violent assault.

Skills In Pills produces a sizable quantity of simultaneously grim and catchy melodies. It isn't gothic, exactly - that's hardly Till's style, and it's too tongue-in-cheek - but there is a dark drama that lurks around the corners of these keyboards. Tracks like "Children Of The Sun," "Yukon," and "Home Sweet Home" are surprisingly warm, even emotional, but dark and enrapturing enough to make you forget that they are bounded by ridiculous (though still quite fun) songs like "Cowboy," "Ladyboy," and "Golden Shower." The shifts in imagery and intent might seem schizophrenic, but they all have a recognizable Till-ness that keeps the album in sync. The closer, "Praise Abort," is likely the most Rammstein of the bunch, and easily a highlight - it's sadistic, stupid, and so much fun to sing.

I'm pleased as punch about the prospect of new Rammstein this year, but I do hope that the return of one of my favorite bands does not signify the disintegration of Lindemann. Similar as they are, Lindemann brings its own peculiar, impish charm that no other band out there can properly match. There is something rather "adorable" about Till Lindemann's entire schtick - in a very odd, sick, deviant, aberrant way, of course, but he is nonetheless endearing amidst all the cruel grotesqueries.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 21.01.2016 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 339 users
21.01.2016 - 04:44
Spirit of dead

Great review!

I found the lyrics a little bit too off putting. It's not the kind of album you can play anywhere close to wives or kids. Fine and dandy when it's in German, but in English it's a bit more confronting.
21.01.2016 - 05:21
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Spirit of dead on 21.01.2016 at 04:44

Great review!

I found the lyrics a little bit too off putting. It's not the kind of album you can play anywhere close to wives or kids. Fine and dandy when it's in German, but in English it's a bit more confronting.

Thanks. The lyrics are really the biggest roadblock, especially because he's quite easy to understand. But if you're alone or with like-minded friends, it's fun.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
21.01.2016 - 16:46
Joe Zombie

Great album. The lyrics are no different from a lot of Rammstein's material, only difference being that you can understand them now. I think they're hilarious but that's just my morbid sense of humor. A really fun album.
21.01.2016 - 18:06
Malignar

Fun stuff. I liked it. Kinda fun to have lyrics that don't try to be anything other than funny and offensive. Ultimately the music is what counts and Peter did a very good job. Each track has it's own distinct sound.
21.01.2016 - 18:47
psykometal
A staff guy...
Love this band, love this album and love this review!

I too am very much looking forward to new Rammstein, and defo hoping Till and Pete keep this shit going. Would be so motherfucking epicly dope if Rammstein and Pain did a tour together and played some Lindemann songs along the way as well.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

21.01.2016 - 19:53
Rating: 10
VileVick-Bryant

Nice review, yea I had a lot of fun with this album. I know some of the reasons this might get a bit of flak is because a lot of people were not expecting this from these when they heard about this album and mash up. Some might not know it was for fun , I know some were expecting something like more Rammstein. I know some are not a hug fan of Till singing in English, But I know in a intereview they said Till singing a whole album in English would be different, and Till himself said he would get used to it.
21.01.2016 - 22:03
Rating: 3
FYA
Destroyer
That should be called as "Pain feat. Linemann". It's nothing more than Pain's instrumentals and Till's vocals. Expected more.
22.01.2016 - 14:51
Rating: 10
Andreas

Written by Spirit of dead on 21.01.2016 at 04:44

It's not the kind of album you can play anywhere close to wives or kids.

That's where you're wrong. My wife and I love this album
22.01.2016 - 19:29
mariano

This album is like having another 11 versions of Pussy. Leave his poor English aside and still lyrics are way too rudimentary.
09.08.2016 - 15:11
Rating: 8
GT
Coffee!!
Written by psykometal on 21.01.2016 at 18:47

Love this band, love this album and love this review!

I too am very much looking forward to new Rammstein, and defo hoping Till and Pete keep this shit going. Would be so motherfucking epicly dope if Rammstein and Pain did a tour together and played some Lindemann songs along the way as well.

I can only agree with all this.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep

Hits total: 11736 | This month: 10