Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
18.07.2012 - 18:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Oaken on 18.07.2012 at 16:27

Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.07.2012 at 15:51

I change my answeer to drone, the face melting (as Lucas would say ) atmosphere definately takes some patienceto get into.

More like drone doom, but amazing and very easy to get into:

One band =/= one genre, and thats even leaning more towards ambient post stuff. Still great though.

This is one of my favourite drone tracks.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.07.2012 - 18:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Oaken on 18.07.2012 at 15:43
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.07.2012 at 15:24

Instead of trying too hard with music that is obviously way too much to swallow at once (have no idea why you would try a 95-minute album knowing you aren't really ready for it). It would be much better to try doom that is mixed with the genres you know and like BEFORE trying more extreme and/or more pure kinds of doom. I personally would have had a hard time liking Funeral Doom if I didn't try on Death/Doom and Black/Doom first.

If you say that "I actually enjoy death metal with doomy dirges like Autopsy" then you should go from that and try "doom metal with death dirges"... Like I don't know... Disembolwement.

You're right, and because I'm not ready, I stopped listening to Esoteric, but I'll try them again after a while. I've also heard of Disembowelment before and might check them out when I can. Thanks!

Hopefully my post didn't sound like I was mocking you, specially with the "trying too hard". I just speak from personal experience because I've felt the same way... Although my experience is more related to drone but it can be aplicable in your case as well! I remember how I was just looking around in profiles like Earth, Nadja or Sunn O))) and wondered how the hell could I even like this and I stopped trying and kept developing my ear with the genres I already liked and years later I found myself ready and listened to those bands without thinking too much and it suddenly clicked, just like that... effortlessly. In my opinion that's how it should feel when it comes to difficult genres... If suddenly you happen to listen to it effortlessly, well... congratulations: You got into it.

Disembowelment's first and only full length is imo a masterpiece of the genre.

Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.07.2012 at 18:38
This is one of my favourite drone tracks.

Just spinned this baby while studying. The once Earth apprentice managed to do something like this:

One of the best drone tracks ever, simple as that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.07.2012 - 21:21
Uldreth

Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.07.2012 at 18:38

One of the best drone tracks ever, simple as that.

is my favourite but I havent heard nearly enough drone to make a "best ever" claim. But I adore Sunn o))) too.
18.07.2012 - 22:06
BreadGod
Account deleted
I agree that drone is really, really hard to get into. The only two drone bands I've managed to enjoy are The Angelic Process and Nyogtha.
18.07.2012 - 23:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 18.07.2012 at 22:06

I agree that drone is really, really hard to get into. The only two drone bands I've managed to enjoy are The Angelic Process and Nyogtha.

Have you tried Nadja? Shares quite a lot of TAP's sound.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2012 - 00:09
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.07.2012 at 23:10

Written by Guest on 18.07.2012 at 22:06

Have you tried Nadja? Shares quite a lot of TAP's sound.

I should really check them out. For those of you interested in Nyogtha, you can download their albums for free on their official Bandcamp page. I love 'em, but they scare the shit out of me.
19.07.2012 - 00:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Nyogtha seems to be pretty fun! Thanks for that recommendation. Don't find them particularly scary though.

Written by Guest on 19.07.2012 at 00:09
I should really check them out.

Nadja is a pretty nice band if you ask me. Their sound doesn't change so much so you can pretty much choose whatever album you want to start but here are a few nice songs. It's just really relaxing ambient-friendly drone.

EDIT: Screw the last one I posted. I deleted it.... So here's the whole friggin album instead of one song from it.

----
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2012 - 00:51
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Nadja is fantastic.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum