Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

16.03.2007 - 01:25
Bitch Boy

I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
16.03.2007 - 02:21
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
To me the most difficult genre to get into is probably Black Metal. It doesnt keep to a pattern so its kind of hard for me.
16.03.2007 - 02:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
probably grindcore, its extremely brutal, im a big black metal fan and yet sometimes when I listen to grind I feel the same way I did when I first started listening to anything with harsh vocals, some of its too brutal for me.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.03.2007 - 02:54
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
For me it would be Grindcore. It's extremely extreme for me.
Also progressive, for what bitch boy said, too much experimentation.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
16.03.2007 - 03:26
Bitch Boy

Oh yes, I forgot that Grindcore is also very hard for me to get into, I think even more than death metal.
16.03.2007 - 03:42
Sonic MrSumo

i think grindcore is very much mood based. more so than other metal genre's.

on ocassions i'll want to listen to something extreme, so i'll put on, for example, Anaal Nathrakh's "Codex Necro". love it for the first 20 minutes or so, and then just have stop due to it's sheer brutality.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
16.03.2007 - 03:57
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
The first one that came to my mind was progressive, I agree, it's mainly because of the experimentation, and I agree also with grindcore.
But it also deppends of the person, for example: I'm sure that for some people gothic is a genre that is difficult to get into, for me it was very easy (not into some bands though) , while many people get into heavy very easily, for me it's kind of difficult
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
16.03.2007 - 04:05
UpTheIrons666

This is a tough one. I would say Grindcore, because it is very specialized in its target audience.
16.03.2007 - 05:24
tulkas
el parcero
From my experience it would be black metal, pure raw bm. At the beggining I have to admit I didn't like it, I didn't like the sound, probably too harch for my taste then. But I slowly started to listen to it and kinda started to understand it, and now I'm a huge bm fan, I love it. specially raw pure black metal
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
16.03.2007 - 07:31
Eternal Flames

For me the hardest genre to get into would probably be grindcore. There are a couple of bands in the genre that I do enjoy, however I just don't like the majority of it, especially on CD. I've seen heaps of grind bands live and they do put on a hell of a show, however listening to most of it on CD tends to bore me. I do like other forms of extreme metal, but grindcore just seems to be a bit too brutal and not experimental enough for my tastes.

From other peoples perspectives, I've found that a lot of people can't get into progressive metal, and I think it's just because it's too experimental for some people. I'm in fact the opposite of that. I like experimentation but I don't like the generic brutality and constant blastbeats throughout a song with no changes.
16.03.2007 - 07:48
AntaeusM
Elite
I am surprised no one mentioned drone doom..

I think it isn't that hard to get into death or progressive metal. It is only very difficult to get into it if you simply don't like that type of music. However, that is just struggling against your own music taste, so I don't really see the point of that. Both death and progressive metal are quite accessible genres if it has something you like. If you can't find anything in these genres that you like, then it is only logical you find it difficult to enjoy it.

For grindcore, basically the same thing as death metal. Only grindcore pushes the boundary a bit further, and because of that it has less fans than death metal.
16.03.2007 - 08:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by tulkas on 16.03.2007 at 05:24

From my experience it would be black metal, pure raw bm. At the beggining I have to admit I didn't like it, I didn't like the sound, probably too harch for my taste then. But I slowly started to listen to it and kinda started to understand it, and now I'm a huge bm fan, I love it. specially raw pure black metal

I see what you mean, if you asked me this a year ago I wouldve said black metal, but its just a matter of knowing how to get into it, its easy to get into if you start off with some melodic/symphonic type BM, then get steadily harsher and harsher, like start off with something like Catamenia or later Dimmu.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.03.2007 - 11:00
Eight
Shapeshifter
For me that would be Black, i've tried couple of times, in result - nothing. Its really hard for me to get into it, easier to listen to Grindcore for me. haha am i strange? :
If speak in general, i would say that Death, Black and Progressive are mostly hard genres to get into, because their music is more complicated than in other genres.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
16.03.2007 - 13:17
Wolfen
Account deleted
All the extreme ones for me are hard to get into. It's not so much I don't like it, but it takes a lot of talent to pull off anything of that kind that I consider worth listening to, so there are only a few that I can stand.
16.03.2007 - 13:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'd say Death metal out of my own experience. I thought it was just simple riffs with some crazy guy destroying his vocal chords... I say Death metal, still Morbid Angel was one of the bands that got me into metal, mostly because I thought they were very cool (11 years old). Today I love Death Metal, of course. It's an amazing genre which gives a lot as long as you take the time to get into it.
Bands with female operatic vocals are also very hard to get into, at least me and my friends used to laugh at Nightwish, thinking they wasted their great music on Tarja. Today Nightwish is one of our favourite bands.
----
16.03.2007 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well in beggining its hard to get in all metal styles and geres, but whe you are into it, its doom, black and gothic

Doom - because there are many many supganres and ist comlicated, and for simple metalhead ist to hard to get into it, its so comlicated and soemtimes its more for avangard metal lovers and doom, if ppl dont listen other genres he cant get into doom
Specely drone doom, ambient, and such genres

Black - Black, because its are orimitive and same time comlicated and intelectual

Gothic - well moust of ppl say goths its ghay music and such thinks, imo because thay are low mindet, and cant understand emaning if goth's think
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.03.2007 - 14:26
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Nu metal! Jus' kiddin'..... Well it depends on what are you curently listening. I think that 'uncomercial' stuff like prog metal are hard to goet into for most, and it takes a lot more time to listen an album to really like it, because its usually very complex and hard stuff. Also Death/Black for those who dont like growling so much.
----
16.03.2007 - 15:31
arwestromen

any kind of extreme metal for me is hard to get into. don't know why but I just cant stand it....well some extreme i can get into like melo death but thats it
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
16.03.2007 - 15:46
Opium
Account deleted
For me, Doom Metal is intolerable, I just can't sit there lsitening to music with poor dynamics and extremely slow tempo, no matter how hard I try... I can also say I've tried many times with many different bands from the different variants of Doom... none of them took me by surprise or kept me hooked, so it seems Doom and I are incompatible...
16.03.2007 - 17:16
Kurzag
Account deleted
For me it was the doom genre. Remember first time I bought my first doom album, Viva Emptiness by Katatonia, which I found hard to get into. But after a couple of listenings I started to like it. And now doom is one of my favourite genre.
16.03.2007 - 18:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 16.03.2007 at 17:16

For me it was the doom genre. Remember first time I bought my first doom album, Viva Emptiness by Katatonia, which I found hard to get into. But after a couple of listenings I started to like it. And now doom is one of my favourite genre.

Viva Emptiness hard to get into? There is still only some very slight doom in there. It is almost alternative rock like (but great nontheless)
I could already sing along with this album after one listen so...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2007 - 18:39
selken
Irreligious
i agree with those who wrote doom metal, is to slow for me, I love Heavy Metal, but my favorite genre is Power Metal. When I started to hear more extreme styles, i started to like Death, Black and Thrash, but doom... I managed to listen Cathedral and Candlemass material and I found them very hard to get into
----
16.03.2007 - 19:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
death metal from here to china. just listen to vital remains-dechristianize intro. the vocals are just...demonic. i would almost understand it if some hardcore priest wrote an article about this satanic song, bashing them like there's no tomorrow.

and i noticed that whatever genre opeth plays, it's really hard to get to like.

and about prog metal, don't forget prog metal contains some of the most accesible music in the metal world, especiallly dream theater(fuck man, i was listening to slipknot, staind, black sabbath's "forbidden" album and dream theater at some point) beaten only by metallica, priest, maiden etc.
16.03.2007 - 19:26
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
For me, It's Sludge Metal, that stuff is just so Distorted and hard to feel out, it doesn't really hold with solidity at all, it's almost like it's feedback with vocals over it. Man it's annoying.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
16.03.2007 - 19:27
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Valentin B on 16.03.2007 at 19:01

Opeth Plays Dark Prog
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
16.03.2007 - 19:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Arian Totalis on 16.03.2007 at 19:27

Written by Valentin B on 16.03.2007 at 19:01

Opeth Plays Dark Prog

whatever. i saw "extreme progressive metal", prog death, prog and death, all the same.
and about sludge, don't you like sabbath? they wrote just some of the most fucked up distorted music, but they have a certain rhythm or something(i don't know what word to use, they're like...metal n roll or something). they're quite possibly the only real metal band(forget metallica) that both mainstreamers and metal nerds like
16.03.2007 - 19:49
Danigar

Good post, I think it depens on the person but I find some genres very hard to get into like Doom, mainly Funeral Doom and stuff like that is very hard, but if the person enjoys this kind of depressing and slow stuff is ok is like you put your mind into it so is easier to get into it. Also the sludge and drone those are hard, as well as my beloved Avant-gard is not for every person so much experimentation and genres-changing things. Proggressive i dont fnd it that hard, although it depends on the direction the band takes.
16.03.2007 - 21:19
Damnated
Churchburner
i don't consider drone to be a hard genre to get into. shure, you first have to get drunk, or stoned to trully apreciate it, but i don't think that's a problem

imo grindcore is impossible to get into. i mean there's no real music there, just a couple of idiots having their ways with the instruments.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.03.2007 - 21:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Probably Black yes. more complex than i thought at first.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.03.2007 - 22:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Damnated on 16.03.2007 at 21:19

i don't consider drone to be a hard genre to get into. shure, you first have to get drunk, or stoned to trully apreciate it, but i don't think that's a problem

No problem!! [/end of tough-guy act]

I do think Drone would be one of the hardest, but that's just me. Furthermore I think really raw Black Metal or really Brutal Death Metal.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama