Album: Mystical Future
Style: Progressive black metal
Release date: February 2016

01. White Horses
02. I Will Go To Your Tomb
03. To Transcend
04. With Arms Like Wands
05. If You Leave

After years of keeping the tension high with promising EPs, Wildernessking finally enlighten our new year with their long awaited second full-length, entitled Mystical Future. The South African gang amazed me back in the year 2012 when I did one of my very first official reviews here and just like me (insert stupidly grinning face here), they stay true to their roots. Because outside my cosmos they are probably not as big as Metallica or Iron Maiden, let it be said that Wildernessking play a modern, progressive style of black metal, atmospheric, yet technically demanding.

Mystical Future features five songs, one of which has been garnished with quite an unusual video. The music is mainly mid-tempo based and riff-laden, changing tempo and key here and there while not ruining the main vibe of each song. Harmonies blend in with faster parts, rhythms carry the music through slower parts and many things in-between can be discovered. The most interesting aspects of Mystical Future are the calm song "To Transcend" and the implementation of female vocals on "If You Leave". In general there are no weak songs or fillers on Mystical Future, but a very good level of musicianship and songwriting is maintained throughout the album. A remarkable point about the production is that the drums are focused and direct, while all the other instruments and vocals seem further away or in a big hall. This is of course something one has to get used to, but it definitely fits the mood.

It appears that the main idea behind Wildernessking is the band itself, as it definitely sounds like some guys having fun while jamming some cool vibes. This groovy attitude, paired with the metal character of the music itself is a combination that can hardly be found among black metal bands. While I don't mind "trve" bands at all, it's like breathing fresh air when finding something like this from time to time. Wildernessking don't play something unique or new, but they do it with pleasure and dedication and that's what makes their music good. Mystical Future is therefore a 'lekker' album, recommended to any fan of good music, whether a friend of black metal or not.

Written by Windrider | 26.01.2016

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 166 users
27.01.2016 - 21:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This might be soon some super group from Africa, that continent has no super group ;(
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.01.2016 - 18:14
Malignar
Pretty good if you like atmospheric non riff based black metal. A lot of strumming the same chord over and over. Not really my thing.
29.01.2016 - 22:35
Rating: 8
boo-boo
A great album indeed. Gets more and more interesting with each listen.
Btw, does anyone know who the female vocalist in the last song is?
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
30.01.2016 - 06:09
Lord_Regnier
What a stupid idea to release an album only on vinyl in 2016.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
30.01.2016 - 12:22
Rating: 8
boo-boo
Written by Lord_Regnier on 30.01.2016 at 06:09

You can also get a cassette.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
30.01.2016 - 13:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

Yeah, they should totally record it on a more modern format, like CD or DVD. Oh, Wait...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.02.2016 - 09:26
Sang Dalang Abu

What you want? Blu-ray format?
06.02.2016 - 00:40
Lord_Regnier
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 05.02.2016 at 09:26

Funny reply. I only meant that I don't mind at all if a band releases something on vinyl. After all, there is a market for that (mostly collectors), as small as it is. However, they should definitely release also a CD version (not talking specifically of this album but for every album released nowadays).
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
07.02.2016 - 12:44
Rating: 10
1Yossarian1

It's released on all formats....
09.02.2016 - 13:41
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.02.2016 at 00:40

Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 05.02.2016 at 09:26

Funny reply. I only meant that I don't mind at all if a band releases something on vinyl. After all, there is a market for that (mostly collectors), as small as it is. However, they should definitely release also a CD version (not talking specifically of this album but for every album released nowadays).

Don't get me wrong. Is not that cool if a band release on blu-ray format? I have couple collection on blue-ray format.

Hits total: 5529 | This month: 5