Metal Storm logo
Best live album

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 16.03.2007 - 20:11
which is the best live album in metal history?

for me it's like this:
1.judas priest-98 live meltdown
2.iced earth-alive in athens
3.judas priest-unleashed in the east/rising in the east/ nightwish-end of an era (i honestly don't know which to pick, they're all tied)

1.this album really has the guitar tone from hell. rapid fire is one of the most brutal songs i have ever heard, diamonds and rust is just fantastic and the sentinel is much better than the album version, and the green manalishi is awesome too. also, the boring jugulator stuff is quite good on here, and the ripper talks with the crowd, which i love.
2.this album is just perfectly performed. i tried to find any flaw in the whole 3 cds, but i couldn't. pure evil is a really good live version, and so is dante's inerno, diary, almost all songs, but the highest peak is "iced earth", a fantastic track. i wonder why in the hell didn't the crowd sing along with the short interlude(can't you see this barren land ...).
3.unleashed in the east is a really good live album, but i value immensely a band that talks with the crowd. the album vocals being re-recorded in the studio, that being near impossible. rising in the east is a really good dvd, although i consider it an album, the intro for painkiler isn't something i'll forget easily. "*stomp, stomp* the pain...KILLER!!*insane drum intro*" and the ending for "exciter" and it's half-brother, "painkiller" are just... hail rob!. end of an era is what would you expect from the last gig with tarja, a grandiose performance, and i love the fact that they brought the indian shaman or whatever he is.
19.04.2008 - 21:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Stalker on 19.04.2008 at 21:20

But, it was irony, right?? Because, when I read my post now, it seems little bit contradicting

I'm sorry, do you mean that there's no great live albums?
----
19.04.2008 - 21:26
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Warman on 19.04.2008 at 21:22

But, it was irony, right?? Because, when I read my post now, it seems little bit contradicting

no no no... So it wasnt irony, right??
----
19.04.2008 - 21:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Stalker on 19.04.2008 at 21:26

Nono, no irony.
----
19.04.2008 - 21:46
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Warman on 19.04.2008 at 21:42

Written by Stalker on 19.04.2008 at 21:26

Nono, no irony.

Ahh, cool man. Than, you are allowed to understand my post in whatever way you understood it in the first place
----
19.04.2008 - 21:52
Hamird
Lieutenant
Marduk's "Live in Germania" is the one of the best i've ever heard. The most important reason to choose that is in that album Marduk has the best line-up including B-War at bass, Legion on vox, Morgan and Peter (Hypocrisy) on guitar and Feredrick Anderson (Amon Amarth) on drums...

Also i like "Live is Overrated" of PAIN, and "live aus Berlin" of Rammstein. and of course "Hypocrisy Destroys Wacken" is the best one.
20.04.2008 - 05:48
Metal_Militia
//Operation: Livecrime, Queensryche, No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith, Motorhead, Live Shit: Binge and Purge- Metallica, Live In L.A.- Death, Live at Budokan- Dream Theater//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

23.04.2008 - 03:49
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
For me its Hypocrisy Destroys Wacken. Awsome songs from some of their best Albums and very good quality.
----
Coldgrits
23.04.2008 - 13:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Metallica's S&M got me into listening metal; so, I can't help mentioning it. Plus, it was actually an amazing successful experiment. Metallica's Live in San Diego was just an amazing show. I wish I could see Metallica live in the shape they were at that time. Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.07.2010 - 00:31
ExtraHachse
World Wide Live or Tokyo Tapes from Scorpions are pretty good.
----
I like Powerwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13.07.2010 - 00:34
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
'Entangled in Chaos' by 'Morbid Angel'
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
26.07.2011 - 02:25
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
My favorite live albums are power metal ones. That genre usually sounds really great on live albums for some reason. My favorite is probably Helloween's High Live.
26.07.2011 - 09:09
JD
Account deleted
AiC's "Unplugged", and Down's "Diary Of A Mad Band".
26.07.2011 - 11:39
Metal_4Ever
My favorite one is One Cold Winter's Night from Kamelot
26.07.2011 - 13:25
Jirpo
Maiden - Live After Death is my favourite!
28.07.2011 - 04:20
Steelreaper
For me it is Slayer - Decade Of Aggression. The best sounding Live album I have ever heard and it was recorded on the Tour where I first saw Slayer live.
----
"I see the world's bones, I see the world dead" Max Cavalera
17.08.2011 - 18:44
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Actually, I only heard one, which is Maiden's "Live After Death". Epic stuff.
24.08.2011 - 15:10
Judas Priest- Unleashed In The East
Iron Maiden- Live After Death
Metallica- Binge and Purge

3 of my favorites
11.10.2011 - 01:01
OrbitalSight
Pantera - Official Live: 101 Proof
11.10.2011 - 14:07
edgethrasherx
Death-Live in LA
Pantera-101 proof
Slayer-Decade of aggression
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
11.10.2011 - 14:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Iced Earth - Alive In Athens (3 disc edition)
Slayer - Decade Of Aggression
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East (Studio )
13.10.2011 - 21:09
LichBorne
I just have to agree with Valentin B here!
priest are great alive! trust me, I have seen them!
and Alive in Athens is just... Perfect! Schaffer eats James Hetfield for breakfast
06.09.2012 - 15:29
Oaken
Hipster
Immortal - Seventh Day Of The Blashyrkh
Great album that features a lot of their good tracks live. Sounds very studio-like, and Abbath sounds excellent too.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
06.09.2012 - 15:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
To repeat what i have said in a topic, that is probably going to be locked - "Imaginations Through The Looking Glass" by Blind Guardian...pretty much everything about this live DVD is awesome and i am proud i have it original - the most expensive piece in my collection so far, but totally worth it
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.09.2012 - 17:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Don't think it's the best or anything like that but Dissection's Live Legacy is really good album. Incredibily tight performance with a wonderful sound.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.09.2012 - 21:59
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
My personal favorite live album is actually the unplugged, acoustic album 12:5 from Pain of Salvation. I love this album because the band is able to reinvent their songs in a way that sounds different and unique from the original album versions. For example, the brief interlude Leaving Entropia is turned into a five minute jam section near the end and feels like more of a full song overall, Oblivion Ocean, a much slower, dirge piece from Entropia is turned into a more upbeat, mid-pace tune, and Ashes is played in A major instead of A minor, thus making it sound more "happy" as opposed to the more depressing original. Even for a live album, Daniel Gildenlöw is able to craft a concept out of this album, just as he does for the studio albums. The concept according to Daniel himself is about an emotional trip through a relationship - put together by previous PoS albums and concepts. The harpischord is freaking awesome as well.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
25.11.2012 - 04:48
stocktonrocks
The live album that started it all is the best, KISS' Alive!! Other favorites, Iron Maiden's Live After Death, UFO's Strangers in the Night, Heaven & Hell: Live at RCMH
25.11.2012 - 10:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by stocktonrocks on 25.11.2012 at 04:48

The live album that started it all is the best, KISS' Alive!! Other favorites, Iron Maiden's Live After Death, UFO's Strangers in the Night, Heaven & Hell: Live at RCMH

No love for Blackfoot - Highway Song Live and Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous and Deep Purple - Made In Japan?

Since when is Kiss - Alive the live album that started it all?
Deep Purple - Made In Japan predates it by three years

Oh wait, or do you mean Kiss - Alive! started it all for you?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996