Metal Storm logo
Down - Dropped From FortaRock‎, Anselmo Apologizes Again (Update)

UPDATE: After the Dutch festival FortaRock cancelled Down's performance due to Phil Anselmo's "white power" gesture and shouting, now their February 8th show in New Orleans, the band's hometown, has been cancelled as well. Phil apologized again and publicly apologized to his Down bandmates and now guitarist Pepper Keenan has responded.

Official statement from venue Civic Theatre in New Orleans: "After recent actions by Phil Anselmo during the Dimebash event this past week, we have cancelled Down's performance at the Civic. We do not tolerate intolerant behavior, and there is no room for that in our venue or our city. Refunds are available at point of purchase. In addition to offering full refunds for all ticket purchases, the Civic has made a donation to the Jewish Federation of New Orleans, pledging our support for a united community."

Also included in the statement was the following quote from Bob Marley: "Me only have one ambition, y'know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together ? black, white, Chinese, everyone ? that's all."

Keenan wrote on the band's Facebook page: "Any one who knows me is aware that I am not one to dabble much in social media, however due to what transpired last week at Dimebash I feel the need to respond and reach out to friends, family, music peers and fans worldwide. I am saddened and confused by the behavior of Philip Anselmo last week. I do not condone what was gestured and said. This lapse in judgment of 'making a joke' was in terribly poor taste and unacceptable.

"That philosophy is the opposite of what I am about. My heart follows love and soul and my music has been inspired from people of all walks of life and musical styles. I view music as a gift that is universal and intended for all of humanity. As a proud New Orleanian, life is about celebrating diversity through music, it's about bringing people together, not tearing apart.

"I won't speak for Phil but I've known him most of my life and I know there is not hate in his heart, however I hope at this moment in time Phil will focus his energy on self-reflection and begin the process of regaining perspective, healing himself and those lives he has touched through music Through Down, Philip and I have written many beautiful and powerful songs in the past that have touched and inspired people from all walks of life positively and have helped pull many out of their own darkest hours. This is not something I take for granted and should always be at the forefront of one's conscience to keep you grounded, humbled and grateful.

"One of the responsibilities and joys, in my opinion, of being an artist or musician is having the ability to help make the world a better place. I accept Phil's apology, and I believe he can. I'll be there...if needed. Love and Respect."

[Also thanks to Bad English!]

Original news, published on 04.02.2016:

Down has suffered the consequences of their frontman, Phil Anselmo's latest actions. The band was supposed to perform at the Dutch festival FortaRock but they have been dropped. According to the organizers, they are not welcome there after Anselmo's "white power" shout and gesture. After posting a video apologizing for his behaviour before, now Phil has released another statement regarding this cancellation saying he has even suggested the band moves on without him.

FortaRock's statement: "After the recent outbursts by singer Phil Anselmo during the Dimebash event in the US, his band Down is no longer welcome at FortaRock. Anselmo ended the show in the US with a Nazi salute and shouted 'White power'. There has been close consultation between all parties recent days, since we wanted to make a well informed decision. On that basis, the decision is made to cancel the act. We want to make clear that there is no room for racism or fascism at FortaRock."

Phil Anselmo posted on his website: "To all this will concern, Every citizen in this entire world has the unalienable right to live with dignity and respect without hate or oppression. And I mean this, with all of my crushed, yet, guilty heart.

"It's common knowledge that we can choose to either learn from our mistakes, or continue on a path of insensitivity and destruction. I am utterly responsible for the mistakes I have made, and can only give you my word to no longer do them in the present, through action, not just mere words.

"My band mates are now experiencing the consequences of my behavior, and I now publicly apologize to them as well. Never in my entire lifetime would I drag them down with me, and I've privately suggested to them that they move on without me. My biggest obstacle(s) are the over-indulging in the booze and blurting out spiteful, ignorant reductions of the human spirit itself. I will address these issues, head-on.

"I'm repulsed by my own actions, and the self-loathing I'm going through right now is justified by the hurt I've caused. I realize we live in a society where apologies are NOT accepted easily, yet long for a day when they can be, but I also understand if I'm shunned till I hit the dirt. From the bottom of my heart, and with all sincerity, I once again am truly sorry for the pain I have caused. With truth, love, hope & respect - Philip H. Anselmo.
"

Previous apology:

Source: philanselmo.com
Band profile: Down
Posted: 05.02.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 21   Visited by: 215 users
04.02.2016 - 19:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
I'm sure some are going to start calling this an unnecessary action and overreach on the part of the festival organizers. I'm not going to elaborate upon where I stand on this, but one thing is for certain.... the world is a very different place in 2016 than it was even 20 years ago. And the consequences of this type of behavior that Phil displayed are becoming more and more severe. For better or for worse? Well... that's up for debate and discussion.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.02.2016 - 19:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
I applaud FortaRock for their decision. As Robb Flynn said, it's about time that people (including veteran icons) start actually having to pay the piper when they do stupid, insensitive shit (like screaming "WHITE! POWER!" in front of a huge audience with cameras).

It kind of sucks for Down that they are having to pay with him, but it's also one of those things where the bands he's in do actually need to suffer a little bit too for not trying to keep him inline, for not getting onto him about drinking so much that he's saying all manner of stupidities that he should know better than to say. Especially than to be screaming at the top of his lungs, in front of audience, who all have cameras a cell phones in video mode, and as his final "hoorah" to end the show, especially at a show that is intended to dispel hate.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.02.2016 - 23:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There was some band was kicked out from DDD or other fest because was using animal blood, or wait was it band refused play ?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2016 - 23:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Bad English on 04.02.2016 at 23:18

There was some band was kicked out from DDD or other fest because was using animal blood, or wait was it band refused play ?

DDD?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2016 - 23:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2016 at 23:25

Written by Bad English on 04.02.2016 at 23:18

DDD?

I read in MS news 4 years ago maybe older, I think I moved to SWe and still was in my original country Caiman islands, one band was banned from playing in festival in Ned, because animal blood, or super band did not played there, cant remember what was real reason
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2016 - 23:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Bad English on 04.02.2016 at 23:27

I read in MS news 4 years ago maybe older, I think I moved to SWe and still was in my original country Caiman islands, one band was banned from playing in festival in Ned, because animal blood, or super band did not played there, cant remember what was real reason

Nope. Never happened.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2016 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2016 at 23:29

Nope. Never happened.

Maybe not in DDD, but some festival, it was in ms news in old days
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2016 - 23:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Bad English on 04.02.2016 at 23:35

No band was banned from playing a festival in the Netherlands for using animal blood. What did happen was that, I think it was The Devil's Blood, was asked to play last instead of earlier on in the day because of their use of blood because of the cleaning up that would have to be done before the bands after them came on stage. But that;s it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2016 - 23:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2016 at 23:37

Written by Bad English on 04.02.2016 at 23:35

No band was banned from playing a festival in the Netherlands for using animal blood. What did happen was that, I think it was The Devil's Blood, was asked to play last instead of earlier on in the day because of their use of blood because of the cleaning up that would have to be done before the bands after them came on stage. But that;s it.

might be, like I said, I don't remember, I remembered this fact but I don't remember what happened
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2016 - 23:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Btw a concert in bands home town NO in L was canceled to ... read a most famous news site and then google for official news
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2016 - 00:05
Sucks for the fans!

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2016 at 23:29

Nope. Never happened.

I think he's referring to Cathedral pulling out of a festival appearance cause they didn't agree with The Devil's Blood use of pig blood. Not the same as being banned.

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=13797
05.02.2016 - 02:15
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
If you're going to say something that extreme, you need to be willing to accept an opposite and equal reaction. I am glad that people seem to be taking these things more seriously. That said, I am actually pleased with Phil's apology, BUT it needs to be be backed with "action," just like he said. Words are words.

On a more humorous note, did anyone else think back to this?

----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
05.02.2016 - 02:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Spirit of dead on 05.02.2016 at 00:05

I think he's referring to Cathedral pulling out of a festival appearance cause they didn't agree with The Devil's Blood use of pig blood. Not the same as being banned.

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=13797

yes that's the case bu 1th I thought Devils Blood was banned because of it, I rememberd this news like in lats moment , now I remember story
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2016 - 03:32
Lord_Regnier
If his excuses are sincere (and not simply a way to limit the consequences for the band as much as possible), I must congratulate him. It takes some humility to apologize like that.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
05.02.2016 - 11:29
He is a dumb redneck. Nothing else , nothing more.
05.02.2016 - 13:21
MolochAngst
"the Civic has made a donation to the Jewish Federation of New Orleans"

Because of this, they give money to the Jewish Federation? Really? Isn´t that ironic?
05.02.2016 - 23:50
Doge of Venice
Can we just take a moment to realise how fantastic this line in the statement was by the New Orleans venue?

"We do not tolerate intolerant behavior"

How tolerant of you!
06.02.2016 - 01:28
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by Doge of Venice on 05.02.2016 at 23:50

Can we just take a moment to realise how fantastic this line in the statement was by the New Orleans venue?

How tolerant of you!

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/25998-the-so-called-paradox-of-freedom-is-the-argument-that-freedom
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.02.2016 - 01:37
sbgmetal
Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2016 at 02:15

If you're going to say something that extreme, you need to be willing to accept an opposite and equal reaction. I am glad that people seem to be taking these things more seriously. That said, I am actually pleased with Phil's apology, BUT it needs to be be backed with "action," just like he said. Words are words.

On a more humorous note, did anyone else think back to this?

hajaja, not before but now that u posted the clip yes
10.02.2016 - 08:33
slayer0005

How tolerant of you!

I was just thinking the same.
11.02.2016 - 20:33
Doge of Venice
Written by RaduP on 06.02.2016 at 01:28

How tolerant of you!

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/25998-the-so-called-paradox-of-freedom-is-the-argument-that-freedom

I understand that, for sure. It's just kinda funny on paper.

I'm also a much too tolerant human being for my own good.

Hits total: 3352 | This month: 6