Metal Storm logo
Metal bands that sound nothing like where they're from

Original post

Posted by Graveheart, 16.03.2007 - 21:48
The search results told me this is a new idea for discussion, though I hope I'm not the only one interested in this.

Once I was wondering if every country had an original sound in metal, and also realised there are always some bands that somehow stand apart from their fellow countrymen. It's not specifically about who can hide their accents better than the rest or something. Instead I'm asking if you have ever listened to a band and only later found out about their homeland and then felt really surprised. That could be because their metal represents a completely another style that their home country isn't known to produce (such as progressive metal from Finland) or they do something familiar in a different way which is more characteristic to a band from some other country. Probably the most obvious example is Agalloch who sound far different from a typical American metal band.

Of course this thread requires you to know something about different metal scenes around the world. No one can blame you for trying, however it would be a lot safer to talk about French metal bands (for example) only after you have heard enough French metal to say which band from there is or isn't exactly like the rest of their offerings. At first I was going to advise you to avoid making stereotypes, but then I thought it over again and decided that we might actually need them. After all, this is all about stereotypes. It will result in hurt feelings and angry PMs, but stereotyping seems to be something that will keep this discussion going. It would also be interesting to see what kind of images people have about foreign metal scenes (native ones too) in an international scale.

Now make this work.
26.04.2009 - 10:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Throne Dweller on 26.04.2009 at 05:25

Are they Australian? or are you just asking?
Either way, I don't think I've heard any of them, I'll give them a shot when I'm uncapped. :c

Yes they are from Australia, werry good bands
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.05.2009 - 13:27
Throne Dweller
Written by Bad English on 26.04.2009 at 10:35

Either way, I don't think I've heard any of them, I'll give them a shot when I'm uncapped. :c

I think you're confused. Most, if all of them are not from Australia, or even the same country. ._.
10.05.2009 - 16:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Throne Dweller on 10.05.2009 at 13:27

I think you're confused. Most, if all of them are not from Australia, or even the same country. ._.

As far as I know, or at least the bands I know from the list Bad English posted are from Australia.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2009 - 16:29
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

marcel is right, they are from australia. you may just don't know them...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
10.05.2009 - 21:26
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I know this has probably been said, but Agalloch sound too good to be American.
----
Brujerizmo!
10.05.2009 - 22:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Yes they are from Australia I hafve mp3 and those 80's bands are in vib of doom site even mono sound quality
Belive I ceck all bands in metal-archives from Australia and download all what I could from home page and listen all what could in myspace , of corse only bands wht i like, what didnt like I left behind, so all bands what I mention comes from Australia

and in old doom-metal.com there can you browse country to in band list so I know many doom bands from Ausie
----

apos;'
[image]
11.05.2009 - 06:37
Aspiring Nobody
Account deleted
You mean like Yob, which comes from a state that might as well be a musical wasteland(because all the other bands I know of in Oregon are shitcore bands?) Almost a paradox in a way, since Oregon's a place you'd expect to see more stoner music. But Portland's the ugly red-headed stepchild of Seattle in more ways than one, unfortunately.

Keep in mind that I do like some core, I just prefer stoner/doom, and I feel the Oregon metal scene to be largely shit with few bands that have names outside of the state.
11.05.2009 - 10:16
Throne Dweller
Written by Bad English on 10.05.2009 at 22:53

Yes they are from Australia I hafve mp3 and those 80's bands are in vib of doom site even mono sound quality
Belive I ceck all bands in metal-archives from Australia and download all what I could from home page and listen all what could in myspace , of corse only bands wht i like, what didnt like I left behind, so all bands what I mention comes from Australia

and in old doom-metal.com there can you browse country to in band list so I know many doom bands from Ausie

I checked the first five and I couldn't find them on myspace or the archives. I think the first one was from Austria? ._.

I must have been smoking crack. :C
11.05.2009 - 13:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Throne Dweller on 11.05.2009 at 10:16

Written by Bad English on 10.05.2009 at 22:53

I checked the first five and I couldn't find them on myspace or the archives. I think the first one was from Austria? ._.

I must have been smoking crack. :C

All is from Australia, maybe check my spelling but those all are from Australia and many of bands has no myspace because those are old bands
----

apos;'
[image]
25.05.2009 - 17:58
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
I was thinking about this thread the other day while driving because I was listening to Riverside. They always stuck me as a band that should be from the USA and not Poland. Maybe from California?
----
(space for rent)
25.05.2009 - 20:27
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Sylvan sounds to me like they should be from the USA too...Riverside I agree with though because a lot of their songs have a psychedelic trippy feel to them...but yeah, there are a lot of bands that have such an Americanized sound that they sound like they should be from the states...Symphony X is another band...I originally thought they were from Europe...
20.09.2010 - 22:58
akvan
Tuatha de Danann , They are Brazilian and their songs are European folk
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
20.09.2010 - 23:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
If there is ever such a band it is White Walls. they hail from Romania (Constanta) but are the ONLY band that plays deathcore(or any possible variant of metalcore) that i know of from around here. they're not too bad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=babEklQj6KA&feature=player_embedded
20.09.2010 - 23:40
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 25.05.2009 at 17:58

I was thinking about this thread the other day while driving because I was listening to Riverside. They always stuck me as a band that should be from the USA and not Poland. Maybe from California?

interesting, but I disagree as I don't know any American bands that sound like Riverside.
15.04.2011 - 17:04
Evil Chip
I have to say Riverside too for a strange reason I don't know. Maybe just because its from Poland. And well the obvious and popular choice... Agalloch, beacause they have a tree-hugger nordic sound which I don't relate at all to USA.
15.04.2011 - 22:48
Yasmine
Communic, totally influenced by American power metal.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
18.04.2011 - 07:34
Balthazine
The first band that pops into my head is the Finnish melodic death metal band, Whispered.

They are from Finland, but incorporate a lot of traditional Japanese folk instruments into their music and sing about Samurai and Japanese folklore. But are NOT from Japan.

I mean just listen to this, would you automatically think, "Oh Finnish Melodic Death Metal!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v19v6446jVY&feature=related
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
19.04.2011 - 04:28
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Beheaded is a brutal death metal band from Malta. I don't know any other bands from Malta.
19.04.2011 - 04:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 19.04.2011 at 04:28

Beheaded is a brutal death metal band from Malta. I don't know any other bands from Malta.

Abysmal Torment (brutal death) for one, and Thy Legion (blackened death). Prayer of the Dying is another Maltese blackened death metal band. Of the 47 bands that come up using MA's search function, those are the only bands (and Beheaded obviously) that I'm familiar with.

I'd say Malta is good for death metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.04.2011 - 15:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.04.2011 at 04:47

Written by Guest on 19.04.2011 at 04:28

Abysmal Torment (brutal death) for one, and Thy Legion (blackened death). Prayer of the Dying is another Maltese blackened death metal band. Of the 47 bands that come up using MA's search function, those are the only bands (and Beheaded obviously) that I'm familiar with.

I'd say Malta is good for death metal.

Malta's best bands by far are Forsaken (epic doom) and Nomad Son (epic doom with loads of traditional heavy metal nwobhm touches)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.04.2011 - 23:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I'd agree with you old-timer but I'm not big on traditional or non-extreme doom (with some exceptions of course).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.04.2011 - 23:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.04.2011 at 23:11

I'd agree with you old-timer but I'm not big on traditional or non-extreme doom (with some exceptions of course).

and those bands are best from Malta , there wont be better and there is Doom fest over there I think Marceö has attendet it(or was it Pim) dont remeber
----

apos;'
[image]
20.04.2011 - 23:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
They're the best if you like that sort of music. I prefer brutal death to traditional doom, so in my opinion Abysmal Torment is the best Maltese band.
----
20.07.2011 - 13:39
JD
Account deleted
Blood Red Throne, Norwegian death metal, and Nile, Egyptian TBDM.