08. Vitkispá
09. Bøn Om Ending, Bøn Om Byrjing
10. Outro: Ull Gjekk
11. Skaldens Song Til Tore Hund [deluxe Digipak bonus]
12. Quantum Pasts [deluxe Digipak bonus]

Staff review by
Windrider
Rating:
Folk music and, more specifically, music played with locally traditional instruments has a long and colourful history in metal. It is probably the most tolerant subgenre when it comes to the acceptance of bands that aren't actually heavy in any way or don't use electric instruments. When we're speaking of Skuggsjá today, it's safe to say that their debut album, A Piece For Mind & Mirror, contains about half-electric and half-acoustic music, while not all the electric stuff can be considered metal, too. However, in recent years many bands showed that this can come out well, and Skuggsjá are not an exception to this.

Read more ››
published 30.04.2016 | Comments (6)

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 496 users
06.02.2016 - 00:33
Rating: 10
Hellcult
Waiting for this album feels like eternity!
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
02.03.2016 - 22:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Pretty good, knowing ms users this might be nominated after 10 months
folk, neofolk, whit metal vibe, I like it I like opening song spoken part ...
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.03.2016 - 11:39
Hellcult
And that's what i'm talking about, those vocals are killing and it is not my genre but love it anyway.
I am buying this one!
----

10.03.2016 - 17:38
Hellcult
Went to HMV today to get my copy, guy wasnt sure what i want as he have never heard of this band before, finally he found it in the box behind the counter and when i thought i got it he say's i can't have it because to day is 10th not 11th, so i have to come back tomorrow... and i was like WHAT!!??, OMG i have been 110% sure today is 11th.
Well at least i have ordered that digipack for myself and as a recompensation i bought Rotting Christ - Rituals \m/
----

15.03.2016 - 17:28
Rating: 8
musclassia
staff
Yeah I like this quite a lot, probably a similar amount to how much I liked In Times. Will be good to see Enslaved,Wardruna and Skuggsja all playing on Saturday
17.03.2016 - 10:21
Night Angel
Frankly speaking these guys are geniouses. Enslaved and Wardruna. A perfect combination of these bands )
20.03.2016 - 12:16
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
This album reminds me which musical direction I don't want Enslaved to pursue.
21.03.2016 - 13:53
musclassia
staff
Saw this done in full on Saturday by all the guys in Enslaved and Wardruna, it was really great
21.03.2016 - 19:15
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by musclassia on 21.03.2016 at 13:53

Saw this done in full on Saturday by all the guys in Enslaved and Wardruna, it was really great

Could you compare their style to another band?
21.03.2016 - 19:57
musclassia
staff
Written by LeKiwi on 21.03.2016 at 19:15

Written by musclassia on 21.03.2016 at 13:53

Could you compare their style to another band?

Hmm, not sure. I wasn't familiar with Wardruna before Saturday, but having seen them both, I feel like someone familiar with Wardruna wouldn't be surprised to hear of the links between the bands. This is less ambient and droney than that band though, I think the songs on here have more going on and are a bit more conventionally song-like than Wardruna's. There's also a notable metal component, with a couple of songs (most obviously track 3) having a clear black metal component to it. However, my description of selling it to my mate as 'a halfway mix of Wardruna and Enslaved' is a bit misleading, as I don't think it's all that similar to the latter band. I imagine most bands it would sound similar to are ones in a genre I'm not really familiar with

Edit: It seems I'm very familiar with the word familiar, doh. Should've brought a thesaurus to this post ha
21.03.2016 - 20:51
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by musclassia on 21.03.2016 at 19:57

Edit: It seems I'm very familiar with the word familiar, doh. Should've brought a thesaurus to this post ha

Despite having read the word familiar half a dozen times I'm still not sure what this sounds like Just kidding, I got the rough idea
21.03.2016 - 22:11
musclassia
staff
Written by LeKiwi on 21.03.2016 at 20:51

Just kidding, I got the rough idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r-clazKRrk
Give this song a go, there's several more metal songs on the album, but this shows off the folk side well enough and is probably my favourite from the album
25.03.2016 - 00:55
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 20.03.2016 at 12:16

This album reminds me which musical direction I don't want Enslaved to pursue.

I think this is more of a Wardruna album than an Enslaved one
31.03.2016 - 23:25
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Maybe I should listen to this more, but while I really really liked a few of the tracks, it seemed overall disappointing to me. Not as good as Wardruna or as good as Enslaved. The tracks that did a good job of combining the sounds of both, like Bon Om Ending, Bon Om Byrjing, were pretty epic, but a lot of it was just "meh".

Maybe I'll feel different after I give it a few more listens.
----
18.07.2018 - 16:48
musclassia
staff
I didn't realise that their second collaboration, Hugsja, came out a few months ago on Bandcamp. It's an interesting listen, but considering how much I've come to really like this Skuggsja album, it's not quite at the same level. It's lost the metal side that was present here, and is more of a Nordic folk rock effort, but still does that effectively, which isn't surprising considering Einar Selvik's pedigree.

This album is oddly compelling though, I keep finding myself returning to it

Hits total: 9187 | This month: 14