06. Until I Too Dissolve
07. Pressure
08. Frail
09. Crooked Red Line [feat. Jørgen Munkeby]
10. Celestial Violence [feat. Einar Solberg]
11. Til Tor Ulven (Søppelsolen) [feat. Hans Herbjørnsrud] [bonus]

The Best Extreme Progressive Metal Album Of 2016

Additional info
The track "Til Tor Ulven (Søppelsolen)" is featured on all formats excluding regular CD: digital, vinyl, limited deluxe edition digibook, and jewelcase CD.

All music and lyrics by Ihsahn.
Recorded and produced at Mnemosyne Studio and Juke Joint Studio.
Mixed and mastered at Fascination Street Studios by Jens Bogren.
Design by Ritxi Ostáriz at ritxiostariz.com.
Photos by Fridtjof Nansen used with kind permission from The Norwegian National Library.
Recorded with support from FFUK and MFO.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
As the solo career of Ihsahn progressed, it seemed as though this versatile multi-instrumentalist was gradually pushing his work more and more towards bolder, unexpected territories. It was a trend that arguably started with After, and that came to a peak with Das Seelenbrechen, an ambitious voyage into dark lands of the surreal and borderline Avantgarde. As a bit of a disappointment, Arktis now comes this year from a much more accessible direction, feeling like something of a ball drop after all that progress.

Read more ››
published 21.05.2016 | Comments (59)

Found in 43 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 1020 users
06.02.2016 - 03:13
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Hope this is better than that last debacle of his...
----
rekt
13.02.2016 - 19:54
Rating: 9
MelancholiaC
The release date has been pushed to April 8th.

Ihsahn is pretty much a god in my book and for me personally it sure seems that he can do no wrong... But from what I've gathered this is definitely going to be a swerve in the other direction and not nearly as esoteric as Das Seelenbrechen.
13.03.2016 - 12:29
Dave FC
Less than a month! Great.
What impresses me most is that two guys already have it. Come on!
28.03.2016 - 19:24
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by MelancholiaC on 13.02.2016 at 19:54

From what I've gathered this is definitely going to be a swerve in the other direction and not nearly as esoteric as Das Seelenbrechen.

I don't really know if one can ever predict that accurately with him... he's a tricky chameleon, all right. However, I do think it's been made pretty clear from After onwards that he's leaning a lot more towards prog and the Avantgarde now and further away from black metal and the extreme shit, so I wouldn't look for all that much of that on here
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
31.03.2016 - 22:26
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by MelancholiaC on 13.02.2016 at 19:54

From what I've gathered this is definitely going to be a swerve in the other direction and not nearly as esoteric as Das Seelenbrechen.

You are correct, this one is way more towards the prog than towards the Avantgarde, perhaps entirely prog, actually. Not quite as quirky as Das Seelenbrechen, unfortunately, but still pretty decent overall
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.04.2016 - 16:53
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
07.04.2016 - 16:57
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 07.04.2016 at 16:53

Something that looks like a joint

You hittin the leaf to this album or something, my man?
----

~ II. VII
07.04.2016 - 17:13
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.04.2016 at 16:57

You hittin the leaf to this album or something, my man?

If you zoom in really close...you'll see there's a leak xD
07.04.2016 - 17:15
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 07.04.2016 at 17:13

If you zoom in really close...you'll see there's a leak xD

So you're listening to it with this guy for company, obviously

----

~ II. VII
07.04.2016 - 17:43
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.04.2016 at 17:15

So you're listening to it with this guy for company, obviously

And this guy:

...if you catch my drift
07.04.2016 - 21:20
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Hmm...not as satisfying as I'd hoped. As usual, there are plenty of brilliant moments, but overall I felt this wasn't as strong as any of his releases.
07.04.2016 - 23:05
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Quite good, but in general nothing much. In other words, typical Ihsahn :3
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.04.2016 - 23:35
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Karlabos on 07.04.2016 at 23:05

typical Ihsahn

11.04.2016 - 08:01
Joe Zombie
At points I love this album, and others I find underwhelming. Its not a bad album by any stretch, in fact its very good. Something is preventing me from holding this one to greatness. "Mass Darkness" is an exciting track. I wish there were more like that one.
11.04.2016 - 08:50
Rating: 10
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Freaking love this album. South Winds is brilliant. Like a black metal Radiohead meets Enslaved.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
11.04.2016 - 12:19
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Joe Zombie on 11.04.2016 at 08:01

At points I love this album, and others I find underwhelming. Its not a bad album by any stretch, in fact its very good. Something is preventing me from holding this one to greatness. "Mass Darkness" is an exciting track. I wish there were more like that one.

^ this
13.04.2016 - 17:05
Atrus
Excellent album
18.04.2016 - 05:06
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I think this is a very good album. Covers a lot of territory and that's a good thing. That chrous on the opening track is so catchy and memorable. There isn't a song I don't like here.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
20.04.2016 - 20:44
Dave FC
Well, i don´t know what to think about this album. It needs more spins, no doubt about it, because like Ace said, it covers a lot of territories and I am surprised with songs like South Winds with its Marilyn Manson/The Kovenant sounds; and Until I Too Dissolve with that openning riff à la George Lynch, one of my fav guitarists ever. (seriously i expected Don Dokken to start singing ha ha!). I really like this song.

Frail and Celestial Violence are very good, imo.
24.04.2016 - 17:35
musclassia
Staff
This album just goes everywhere, as mentioned above there's 80s mainstream metal in the sound of Until I too Dissolve, and some weird Manson-esque stuff in South Winds, as well as in my opinion something a bit Opeth-ish in Frail, but then weirder stuff that I expected a bit more on Pressure and others. It wasn't what I expected at all, but it's definitely one of the most enjoyable albums I've heard in 2016 so far
24.04.2016 - 20:28
Rating: 10
Mariocalin
F**king awseome
----
We are the priest of the temple of Synix
25.04.2016 - 18:53
Dave FC
Definitely I'm enjoying this album a lot! As much as After.
Worth buying it.
26.04.2016 - 18:45
visiblenoise
I like the album a lot, but Celestial Violence (which I'm treating as the album closer, not the bonus track) was a bit of a letdown. It was way too much like new Leprous, and I wasn't a fan of their last album. If someone played me that song and told me it was a Leprous song featuring Ihsahn, I would have believed them.
26.04.2016 - 20:11
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by visiblenoise on 26.04.2016 at 18:45

I like the album a lot, but Celestial Violence (which I'm treating as the album closer, not the bonus track) was a bit of a letdown. It was way too much like new Leprous, and I wasn't a fan of their last album. If someone played me that song and told me it was a Leprous song featuring Ihsahn, I would have believed them.

Precisely why I found it to be the best track off the album
27.04.2016 - 03:02
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 27.04.2016 at 02:29

I dont like the hate on this album. i know there isn't much hate, but i think this album was fuckin perfect.

Relax, there's no hate here
27.04.2016 - 12:59
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 27.04.2016 at 02:29

I dont like the hate on this album. i know there isn't much hate, but i think this album was fuckin perfect.

I don't think it's hate. Other people may think it's not so perfect. I myself think it's a very good album, but far from perfect.
28.04.2016 - 01:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 27.04.2016 at 23:29

there's no hate here on metalstorm, but on youtube and twitter i saw some people saying bad stuff about it

Such is life - one must get accustomed to such things
04.05.2016 - 22:22
Vale
Overall I'd say this album was really hit or miss. It starts and ends brilliantly with tracks like Mass Darkness and Celestial Violence, but it lost me in the weak middle segment, specifically from South Winds through Until I Too Dissolve.
05.05.2016 - 00:54
Rating: 6
Diverge
What a letdown. This is second-rate Ihsahn at best, and there's little that compels me to listen to this again. I greatly enjoyed his last album as well, and I'm angry he swerved towards a more boring approach with this one.
05.05.2016 - 07:20
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I'll only give it a 7 because of the great production, arrangements, details you can find on the songs, there's a lot of hard work there and it's pleasant to listen to that. Too bad the songs themselves are quite weak... first time I'm disappointed with post-After Ihsahn.

Hits total: 17300 | This month: 43