Metal Storm logo
Tyranny

22.05.2006 - 22:02
Nokkkkkkkkkkkkk
Account deleted
Tyranny are an extreme funeral doom band from Finland, they've released a demo, Bleak Vistae, and an album, Tides of Awakening. I've got a sample from each, so judge for yourself. Their sound is overwhelmingly huge.

FROM "BLEAK VISTAE" - THE LEADEN STREAM
http://www.kolumbus.fi/makela.matti/Tyranny1.mp3

FROM "TIDES OF AWAKENING" - COALESCENT OF THE INHUMANE AWARENESS
http://www.kolumbus.fi/makela.matti/Tyranny2.mp3

http://www.kolumbus.fi/makela.matti/tyranny/
22.05.2006 - 22:50
Damnated
Churchburner
I have both of their releases, and I have to say, this band is like a big punch in the face, in the good way. The music simply crushes you, I can't describe it in any other way, it somehow makes you miserabil, but in a very intense way. I wouldn't call them as heavy as Wormphlegm, but they really have a hellish sound, and in the case of funeral doom, it's literary. One of my fav funeral doom acts, mostly for this, so I can highly recommend them.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.05.2006 - 01:28
Terrorist
Account deleted
I also have both releases, and "Tides Of Awakening" is just groundbreaking... pure doom, a very suffocating burden that falls over your head, with a sinister atmosphere... extraordinary band... my advise is to play it as loud as you can in a totally dark room, it will be very stunning.
23.05.2006 - 06:30
Götter
Tyranny is possibly "lovecraftean" ultradoom at its best. Like Nokkkk said, they sound overwhelmingly huge. I'd add "apocalyptic" and "lifeless" and "elemental" to the list. Basically all the lovecraftean feelings. Amazing stuff.
10.06.2006 - 21:09
CreativeAngels
Account deleted
Tyranny Doom Metal at its best, love the Tides Of Awakening alumb , the atmosphere of thi alumb is amazing and dark and sorrowful
11.06.2006 - 19:46
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Love it. Heard some stuff of it today, damn good!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.07.2006 - 22:59
Dyscolia
Account deleted
Tyranny is one of the BEST funeral doom bands out there in present times. They easily compete with some of the giants of the genre, although i prefer listening to the Bleak Vistae than Tides of Awakening. Lyrical content on Bleak Vistae is more profound and atmospheric, and i feel that lyrics on Tides of Awakening were a bit too pulled by their ears. But thats just my opinion. What do you think?
17.08.2006 - 20:40
Richard

I only discovered Tyranny very recently, and I must say their music is excellent, and has the potential to become one of my new favourite bands. Tyranny kind of makes Shape Of Despair sound like a happy power metal band in comparison.. But whilst Tyranny's music is crushingly snail-paced and heavy, it is also very involving and atmospheric.

Although some people think of this kind of music as depressing, I think that for people of a certain mindset, it can be perversely comforting. People don't listen to Funeral Doom because they are happy and want to become depressed, that would be ridiculous.. they listen to it if they're sombre individuals who want to hear music which they can relate to, in the same way that people listening to the Blues would find it cathartic to hear musical moods and lyrics they can identify with.
----
18.08.2006 - 03:45
danzig111
Account deleted
don't like it......but then again, i really don't like Doom Metal.....but one question though.....what's with the terrible production? are they doing that on purpose?
23.08.2006 - 02:03
Richard

Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 03:45

don't like it......but then again, i really don't like Doom Metal.....but one question though.....what's with the terrible production? are they doing that on purpose?

Well, I think the production is fine... There's enough power and depth to enhance the heavy aspects of the music, and you can hear everything clearly enough. What do you think is wrong with it?
----
23.08.2006 - 02:47
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 23.08.2006 at 02:03

Well, I think the production is fine... There's enough power and depth to enhance the heavy aspects of the music, and you can hear everything clearly enough. What do you think is wrong with it?

To me it just isn't 'squeaky clean'...it's more 'dirty' as if the album was produced by a Black Metaller.
23.08.2006 - 19:27
Richard

Written by Guest on 23.08.2006 at 02:47

To me it just isn't 'squeaky clean'...it's more 'dirty' as if the album was produced by a Black Metaller.

Fair enough, each to their own, but IMO a 'squeaky clean' production wouldn't have been appropriate for Tyranny's music. It has a raw edge, but as I said there is some depth and you can hear everything clearly - I think "terrible" is a bit harsh.

Having said that, however, I think Black Metal has had an influence on Tyranny's sound to a certain extent. I read an interview with Tyranny where the guy said:

"We have no interest to argue about how our music should (be)categorized, genre labels are something of a guideline for new listeners to gain some common ground on what to expect from a new and unknown band. In a traditional sense we are not doom, our music has probably more in common with Burzum than St. Vitus besides the slow tempo."
Quote taken from:
http://www.tartareandesire.com/interviews/tyranny.html
----
23.08.2006 - 19:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.08.2006 at 02:47

IMO if Tyranny had used a 'squeaky clean' production it just wouldn't have worked. It would have taken away from the power, bleakness, roughness of the band's music. This kind of doom needs a dirty production IMO, just like a lot of black metal works better with this sort of production.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2006 - 01:06
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
I also think the production of Tides Of Awakening is the PERFERCT complement for the music.
04.10.2006 - 12:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just discovere this band and I can say its furneal doom Blind Guardian :rollin: werry great band an dlyrics are so deep and depresive who give sme energy

@Richard - haha I agree whit you about poeple who lsiten power stuff dont wanna be deprsive, but still black. death, doom
i listen all kind a gernes of metal and not only but those sorrofull lyrics, and depresive music gives me energy survuve in those gray and cloudy october days, I just doscovere this band some weeks go and its great and band can put they talant and poet talant im music werry well
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.10.2006 - 15:46
Götter
Fuck, I'm beginning to think that Tyranny is probably the best doom metal band there is. Maybe equal with Nortt and Skepticism and Wormphlegm.
24.12.2006 - 16:16
Kurzag
Account deleted
Interesting band, have to check out.
24.12.2006 - 16:57
Crow_Princess

They're great...
It's really worth to check them out....

3 videos of Tyranny live...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KGb-w0f6QIk&mode=related&search=
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*
18.02.2007 - 13:37
Thryce
Retired Staff
I recently got into this band. Aren't they awesome? One of the best Funeral Doom bands for sure.
Both their EP and album are just incredible. I simply can't put into words all the feelings that are soaked off these albums...

Well everything has already been said about this band. They're just great!

Anybody knows if they're working on new material or something?
----
Your favorite band sucks.
03.06.2009 - 07:30
FOOCK Nam

Very excellent band, I love both their demo and album, not sure but I love the piano in their demo.
13.12.2009 - 02:24
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Very underrated band I must say. I dont know why though, I remember for a couple of years ago when they released Bleak Vistae it was one of the most hyped and talked about funeral records at that time (Im sure Marcel can confirm this, he remembers Im sure). So I thought they would make a really big name for themselves but as time passed by people stopped talking about them and it seems like they arent as recognized anymore.

In any case, Bleak Vistae is to this date an absolutely fantastic Funeral Doom record and a classic within the genre that is a favourite amongst most old school funeral doom metal fans.
----
13.12.2010 - 11:27
kingofdoom

Sorry to kick an old thread up, but after reading the great comments on tyranny I think you'll be happy with this one:

Tyranny is still alive, and will be touring Europe in 2011.
Nothing is definetely confirmed, but plans are made to embark on a one week tour with 2 supportbands to be announced.

More news, bands and tourdates will be released as soon as possible!
13.12.2010 - 17:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by kingofdoom on 13.12.2010 at 11:27

Sorry to kick an old thread up, but after reading the great comments on tyranny I think you'll be happy with this one:

Nothing is definetely confirmed, but plans are made to embark on a one week tour with 2 supportbands to be announced.

Let me guess... with Profetus as support?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2010 - 19:57
kingofinsania

I will remain silent until I get my orders :p
13.12.2010 - 20:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by kingofinsania on 13.12.2010 at 19:57

Stijn, dammit, either delete the kingofdoom or kingofinsania account
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2010 - 20:48
farmakon
Whispering Gloom
Written by kingofdoom on 13.12.2010 at 11:27

Great news, thank you for the information! And what about Wormphlegm? Does anyone know if the split-up status on metal-archives is true? It was a surprise for me, because it is not so long after the rerelease of their amazing demo on lp...
21.12.2010 - 23:26
kingofinsania

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2010 at 20:01

Written by kingofinsania on 13.12.2010 at 19:57

Stijn, dammit, either delete the kingofdoom or kingofinsania account

I told you to delete the kingofdoom account!