02. Le Rat Des Goûts
03. La Marche De Travers
04. Interlude Satierienne
05. Les Yeux Boiteux
06. L'aphone Et La Flore
07. La Java Niaise
08. L'Hélicon
09. Morceau En Moins

When last we left Pensées Nocturnes, I likened my experience listening to Nom D'une Pipe! to two drunks wandering home after a bender. At times happy for the company as our paths crossed. At others happy to be free of each other's idiosyncrasies as our paths diverged. Amusingly their latest, A Boire Et A Manger, translates* to "You won't lack for food or drink."

Of course, the title could also translate as "There's something for every taste" - perhaps even ironically, as this album might not appeal to a lot of tastes.

So to continue as we left off, once again I've encountered my rather odd French amigo at the local watering hole. Only this time he's cut back on the absinthe and is a tad less prone to nonsensical rambling.

So what the faux does this mean in regards to the music you ask?

It is far less convoluted and all over the place than their last release, that is for sure. But it's not straight-up tr00 Norsk Gallic Metal Noire either.

The album kicks off with "Black Orleans Bump" which gives the listener a fairly decent idea of what to expect from the other half. A bit of (New) Orleans jazz, albeit a tad morose.

The album from there on pivots between the jazz chords and some brass instruments against the dissonant, mid-paced metal noire with all the rasps, howls, yodels and the rather sobbing wretched vocal delivery you'd expect from Pensées Nocturnes. Songs wind, wend, and drunkenly stumble along, sometimes shifting from one style to the other, but often bleeding and blending them together. Black metal, now with jazz chords and a trumpet! And occasional female operatic vocals.

Stripping it down to just two primary ingredients ends up making for a more balanced breakfast errr listening experience. I rather enjoyed the nine round jazz-infused black(metal)-out drunk with my Frenchie friend. At least more than the rather chaotic last time out.

Alas it leads to a far less entertaining review for you readers.

Now eat and drink up courtesy of the Le Bistro Bandcamp. I'd recommend "La Java Niaise".

*-special thanks to Darkside Momo for helping with some translation/transliteration with the song titles.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 13.02.2016 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 188 users
13.02.2016 - 09:41
s_t_s

Of course, the title could also translate as "There's something for every taste" - perhaps even ironically, as this album might not appeal to a lot of tastes.

Don't agree with this meaning as "A boire et à manger" litterally means "something to drink, something to eat", namely you are provided food and drink with this album. Don't think this will please me but the songs title are quite funny indeed. Will give it a try tho
13.02.2016 - 11:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I've noticed a lot of your "experiences" are by way of...drinking.
----
rekt
13.02.2016 - 15:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by s_t_s on 13.02.2016 at 09:41

Don't agree with this meaning as "A boire et à manger" litterally means "something to drink, something to eat", namely you are provided food and drink with this album. Don't think this will please me but the songs title are quite funny indeed. Will give it a try tho

you never saw this saying used with irony It's pretty common... perhaps not in everyday speech, but I know my family uses this regularly and I saw it pop in a few books I think (don't ask me which ones) [French only: wiki, locution verbale, sens figuré - hence the irony]
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.02.2016 - 16:07
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by tea[m]ster on 13.02.2016 at 11:00

I've noticed a lot of your "experiences" are by way of...drinking.

in this case i went back to my closing description of the prior album to launch this.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.02.2016 - 17:31
s_t_s

Written by Darkside Momo on 13.02.2016 at 15:37

Written by s_t_s on 13.02.2016 at 09:41

you never saw this saying used with irony It's pretty common... perhaps not in everyday speech, but I know my family uses this regularly and I saw it pop in a few books I think (don't ask me which ones) [French only: wiki, locution verbale, sens figuré - hence the irony]

Nope I confirm that i have never heard of that phrase with irony. In "il y a à boire et à manger" you could understand that there's plenty of everything but no irony in this, definitely not. Anyway we won't waste time on grammar and such topics
13.02.2016 - 19:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Sounds like exactly what I was looking for in the sense that it's still weird and distinct, but just a little more restrained on the batshit level from the past album. Gonna get around to it later tonight, nice review (even if you ninja'd me on it )

Edit: Ooooh, free download too, boo yah!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.02.2016 - 22:17
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by s_t_s on 13.02.2016 at 17:31

Nope I confirm that i have never heard of that phrase with irony. In "il y a à boire et à manger" you could understand that there's plenty of everything but no irony in this, definitely not. Anyway we won't waste time on grammar and such topics

No problem

Anyway, nice review Bitter, even if your previous was indeed better - or well, at least more fun
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
19.02.2016 - 23:16
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I don't think the tile is used as the saying, which basically means something close to "bullshit"... I'd translate it to "(something) to drink and to eat". It's not itonic, it's just factual : look, there's "à boire et à manger" on the table.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....

Hits total: 5718 | This month: 11