02. Lost In The Forest
03. Losing Reality
04. Glory To The Gem
05. Goblins' Song
06. Legend Of The Ice Wolf
07. Sign Of The Unicorns
08. Resurrection
09. Knights Of Darkness

SpellBlast are a folk influenced power metal band hailing from Italy and formed in 1999, but only released their first demo "Ray Of Time" in 2004, which received quite a fair reception selling 500 copies. Now in early 2007 the band has signed to Metal Crusade Records and has now unleashed their first full-length album "Horns Of Silence" onto the world to show us what they are made of.

The album grabs our attention with the first track "In The Name Of Odin" with a flurry of double bass drumming in true power metal style and then the chorus shows the more folk-influenced side of the band, this formula stays true for pretty much the whole album. Damnagoras from Elvenking appears with his vocals for the first time on "Lost In The Forest" which fits in well with the bands music. Obvious comparisons can be made between the music of SpellBlast and Elvenking, both sporting the same style and flying the flag for Italy.

The longest song on the album "Glory To The Gem" at seven and a half minutes is one of the highlights of the album being followed by the most folk influenced song on the album "Goblins' Song". The album seems to get stronger towards the end especially with "Sign Of The Unicorns" which has to be the best song on this album; you cannot help but smile when it starts with such bombastic energy. The last two tracks are also highly enjoyable and leave the impression on you that you must listen to the album again once it has finished.

The main criticism I have for the album is that in some places it might be lacking that extra bit of power, those extra up-tempo double bass drums that could possibly have made it all that bit more enjoyable just aren't there. Of course this also means that when we are treated to some, it sounds much better and more powerful then if we were spoiled with high-tempo double bass and were used to hearing it.

To summarize, this album is a fairly solid power metal album with bits of folk in there in places and is an all round good, enjoyable album to listen to that has many highlights - "Sign Of The Unicorns" and "Knights Of Darkness" being the songs that shine most. This wont be last time we hear of SpellBlast, highly recommended to all Elvenking fans and also recommended for power/folk metal fans all around.

You can also hear a fair few tracks with the media player on the band's official website here, and the band's myspace site here.

Written on 16.03.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 60 users
18.03.2007 - 16:47
GT
Coffee!!
Just listened to the songs at their MySpace. It's quite good. Nothing special but solid folk/power. I might buy the record.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.03.2007 - 17:55
Baz Anderson

Written by GT on 18.03.2007 at 16:47

Just listened to the songs at their MySpace. It's quite good. Nothing special but solid folk/power. I might buy the record.

thanks for reading my review.. yeh, I would think it is worth getting. it has a good feeling about it
the albums tracks are all more or less in the same vein, so if you like what you hear from a few tracks then you will like the whole album
18.03.2007 - 22:29
Rating: 7
Susan
Smeghead
I definitely just ordered this album! Your review was great so I checked out their myspace. Aside from the god-awful mixing of the drums I thought the songs were really fun and enjoyable. I can see myself rocking out to this band for sure

I see why you compared them to Elvenking but yes, they are different enough to make a worthwhile purchase I think!

Thanks Baz
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
01.06.2007 - 15:18
APOHAKC
The Bard
I liked this album but it is nothing special..
Few songs are really good, but as you said sometimes they just need some more energy. . .
Not bad at all ..
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
17.01.2008 - 21:57
Rating: 8
Darken Rahl

I rated this album as an 8 as well. I think it's a great debut album. These guys may have what it takes to rise up to the top of the power metal scene. The highlight for me was right at the end of the album with the song Knights Of Darkness. Great review. Thanks.
01.02.2008 - 01:17
Talvi

Even though it's "just" cheesy power metal with a bit of folk metal, it sounds so damn good that it doesn't feel boring and repetitive as many other bands. I like this album a lot more than what it should deserve. Which is good.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
16.02.2008 - 20:16
wisigoth
Account deleted
I like to discover new bands, and I bought this album after listening to it once. I must say that this album is very good, especially for a first album.

I must say that I am very anxious to see the next album, because I think that Spellblast's style is not well defined yet, their music can take many different directions. I can see some Blind Guardian in a few songs, also Iron Saviour, Rhapsody, and Elvenking (Damnagoras' presence helps ) to name a few. Only the future will tell, but the Goblin's Song (my favorite song of the album) is one of a kind on this album, I would like to hear more of this folk style.
20.05.2009 - 21:06
Rating: 7
Janne
Hugin
I've just discovered the band. It reminded me Elvenking very much but I haven't thought Damnagoras sings on the album. I only disagree with the review about the best song. For me it's 'Lost In The Forest'.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
30.09.2009 - 17:57
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This album has its moments...like "Glory To The Gem", such an epic and powerful song
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 7599 | This month: 14