04. Sexkinesia
05. Polvo Zombi
06. Will O' The Wisp
07. Ligeia
08. Mistress Of All Evil
09. Daphne Vs. Apollo
10. Gmork [bonus]
11. Metamorphosis [bonus]

Remember that cool Kylesa album that was supposed to come out last year? I think I found it in Witchboro by Rosy Finch.

Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh, but it isn't terribly far off the mark.

Spain's Rosy Finch describe themselves as "two girls and a boy doing heavy and noisy riffs together with a dollop of stoner rock?" They also describe the concept of Witchboro "as a journey through a dark and soulless village where strange music sleeps." Further in a tip of the hat to vinyl, the album is divided into halves, "Black Hills" and "Sea of Trees."

This is where the comparison to Kylesa originated. The album kicks off with muscular stoner rock riffs fused with some of the harsher grunge stylings paired with some powerful female vocals. Only they had droves of what I found the other's latest sorely lacking. Oomph. Riffs. And if the comparison attracts people to check them it, so much the better.

This is the spirit of "Black Hills". Direct and driving stoner rock with little deviation into more psychedelic experimentation. It is upbeat, perhaps a tiny bit angry, and has a great groove and some hooks that will have you nodding your head and humming along.

"Sea of Trees", Side B, is the opposite, with more focus on creating atmospheres than just stomping on the distortion pedal and battering out barre chords. Sure, there is plenty of power chord pummeling, but it is reserved for choruses and outbursts. The second half songs are more driven by clean notes, clean singing luring you in.

My biggest issue with the album is that it is very much Side A and Side B, and would have benefited (IMBO) from a better mixing of two styles. Of course, on the other hand, that would screw up the concept. And, conceptually, the album does work. So "Too bad, so sad" to me.

Definitely enjoyed the album.

So if this sounds like something up yer alley, give it a listen. Here! Bandcamp! I'd suggest "Hyde Formula" for your trek up the Black Hills, and "Will O' The Wisp" or "Ligeia" while hiking the Sea of Trees.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 20.02.2016 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 148 users
22.02.2016 - 05:47
Rating: 8
Kuroboshi

Thanks for this review! I really enjoyed this album. I have been pretty bored with Kylesa for a while, but this really hit the spot for me. Nice crunchy riffs.
22.02.2016 - 09:57
Ivor
Staff
I like the album. I was intrigued by the Kylesa reference. Though I've not much listened to them, they left a phenomenal impression when I saw them at Hellfest years ago. I've been reluctant to pick up an album after that. Rosy Finch, however, seems to go down well with me.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
22.02.2016 - 18:38
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
The first sentence is enough to persuade me eheh And that cover is intriguing too.

Also, stoner and psychedelic. I'm in! "Hyde Formula" was good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
22.02.2016 - 20:46
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I wanted to include that opening line as a wisecrack, and didn't want it to dedicate too much time to comparison, but seemed a relatively easy way to describe the album that might encourage more people to check it out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 5526 | This month: 7