01. The Third Ray Of Light
02. Cathartic Confession
03. Jacob's Dream
04. Maelstrom
05. The Empyrean

Guest review by
musclassia
Rating:
In recent years it seems double albums have been somewhat coming into fashion - both Iron Maiden and Metallica have recently released one, and Mastodon were initially planning the same for their upcoming album. However, Swallow The Sun in 2015 went one further by releasing a triple album, as did Schammasch in 2016 with Triangle. Including three discs within one self-contained package allows bands to offer up both more music, and potentially explore different genres by separating stylistically different material onto different discs. However, when releasing all this music as a single collective piece under one title, one can argue that there is both a need to link the music together, whether tonally, thematically, or otherwise, and also to optimize the quality and the pacing of the album, such that it can be enjoyed and consumed as a single whole. For this review I will cover each disc individually (all with very similar runtimes), and then the combined experience.

Read more ››
published 04.01.2017 | Comments (1)

Found in 30 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 82   Visited by: 614 users
14.03.2016 - 22:57
Rating: 9
mz

Fuck yeah it lives up to the expectations. Amazing track.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
29.03.2016 - 16:37
tibosax

New song:

29.03.2016 - 16:55
Rating: 7
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Last one was far better
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.04.2016 - 00:06
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Dying of anticipation for this album. Call me a fanboy, I guess.

To be honest, I liked Metanoia. Quite different from stuff they've done before. Consensus was better, to be sure, but I'm glad they're keeping it varied.
----
24.04.2016 - 18:11
garmling
Account deleted
Listening it right now for the second time... I was a bit skeptical about its length, it is always hard thing to make such long record without any kind of filler... Even more so, when I knew the third disc is a sort of ambient/ritualistic music... But luckily, they nailed it! The whole thing is just phenomenal that I'm literary spellbound - not a single bad song! Man, what an incredible record from start to finish! Even that third disc is absolutely beautiful, if not better than the first two - at times it is mystical, tribal, seducing, eerie, thought provoking. The first disc is merciless, angry, and hard hitting, but at the same time progressive and twisted - it is the most similar one to their previous album. Just wait till you hear that screaming/moaning "push up" accompanied by blastbeat in the "In Dialogue with Death"(around 4:10 mark)...jaw-dropping! The second disc is slower and transcendental in a way - it is hypnotic, occult, and psychedelic with the kind of religious chanting here and there. Everything goes well along and every song has that special something that leaves you speechless! So much praise, but deservedly so.....

For now, this is by far my No.1 contender for the album of the year!
25.04.2016 - 18:06
tibosax

Full streaming available : https://www.facebook.com/prostheticrecords/posts/10154015955016368
25.04.2016 - 21:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just tried, cant get this band and album, seems its new generation band something
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.04.2016 - 22:28
Kadaver
Account deleted
Just finished my first spin of Triangle. So far it's kind of... dull. Or maybe that's just the sleep deprivation talking.
26.04.2016 - 01:39
Rating: 10
Paz

"Above The Stars Of God" is such a tune! For a moment I thought that I'm listening to goddamn Riverside. Plenty of epic solos here at the beginning, which could be done by Piotr Grudziński himself; soft but with an incredible flair. *jaw-dropper*

I have yet to hear the 3rd disc... That's tomorrow, though.
26.04.2016 - 02:09
mz

Listed to it twice by now, and it is even better than contradiction. Definitely one of the best 2010 extreme metal records I can think of now.The length is more than justified, and in fact, even within each of the first two discs there is a lot of diversity. Each disk could separately be a brilliant album. Also, I do not remember enjoying drums on a metal album this much tbh.I am also waiting for Maco to come and claim that vocals on In Dialogue With Death are not prefect
Majestic and glorious is what I call this record.
----
26.04.2016 - 02:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^2010?

I liked two points of the triangle. Despite the vocals it's two good records.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.04.2016 - 02:14
mz

Written by Karlabos on 26.04.2016 at 02:12

^2010?

I liked two points of the triangle. Despite the vocals it's two good records.

more like post-2010
----
26.04.2016 - 04:21
Rating: 8
Diverge

Written by mz on 26.04.2016 at 02:09

Listed to it twice by now, and it is even better than contradiction. Definitely one of the best 2010 extreme metal records I can think of now.The length is more than justified, and in fact, even within each of the first two discs there is a lot of diversity. Each disk could separately be a brilliant album. Also, I do not remember enjoying drums on a metal album this much tbh.I am also waiting for Maco to come and claim that vocals on In Dialogue With Death are not prefect
Majestic and glorious is what I call this record.

Wow- that's quite the assessment! I must take the time to listen to this in its entirety. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about an extreme metal album.
27.04.2016 - 23:20
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I am loving all of this. First two discs are incredible. Last disc is an interesting, calm, drone-type thing, which I'm totally into. I may have said this elsewhere, but it sort of reminds me of TenHornedBeast, from what I've heard of their work (which actually isn't much so far, so maybe that's a bad comparison).
----
29.04.2016 - 14:23
Nimlot
A. Reader
Really digging this, especially Disc III.
01.05.2016 - 08:45
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
After listening to this many times in the last few days, I may have to adjust my rating even higher (edit: I did indeed adjust my rating higher). The only complaints I have with this album is that Father's Breath doesn't flow into Dialogue With Death very well, and Satori is somewhat lackluster compared to the rest of the disc. I find this very impressive that these are the only flaws of an album that is around 100 minutes long.

Each standalone disc is varied enough to stay interesting, while still having a unified direction--the three sections of the album know where they're going and why they're going there. The first one is everything I wanted from a continuation of the Contradiction sound, with the entire section from In Dialogue With Death to Awakening From the Dream of Life being a particularly good run of music. The second disc is more contemplative, and is a welcome evolution of their sound. Above the Stars of God is the most standout track on this one, and is absolutely phenomenal. The last disc is fantastically meditative; it's something I never knew I wanted from a band like this. No one track stands out on this one, because I feel like none of the songs on this particular disc are ever meant to be listened to on their own, being especially important to listen to these together as a whole.

Each disc is like it's own separate album, and yet the flow between discs is perfect, making the whole work feel like a grand story being told in three epic chapters--chapters that manage to sound wildly different and distinct from one another and yet still sound unmistakably interconnected. The whole album listened to all the way through is, as I assume the creators intended it to be, a powerful, metaphysical journey of internal conflict, self-transformation, and transcendence.

Anyway, I didn't really want or intend to do a mini-review in the comments, but I suppose it might be too late for that... I'll stop here to make sure it doesn't get any more out of hand; I just wanted to express my feelings about this album. My point is this:

It's fkn gud m8.
----
01.05.2016 - 13:25
Paz

^ Yo dude, I love your mini-review

In my opinion, the highlight of the 3rd disc is "Jacob's Dream" with its whispers, female chants, sax inserts, keys, and ritualistic drums. Amazing soundscapes!
01.05.2016 - 13:48
Eccer

I can't pinpoint exactly why this is vastly better than Contradiction, I guess they've managed to set the emotional highs exactly where they should be...and the flow between the songs as well as how it all works together. Amazing! Will give my final rating after a few more spins.
01.05.2016 - 21:09
Soulhole

Listening to this album one part at a time as suggested. First part was really good.
02.05.2016 - 00:19
Vitaliss

Does anyone have the lyrics or know where i can find them?
02.05.2016 - 00:26
Rating: 5
Neachy

Lofty ambitions but bored me to sleep a few times during the course of its excessive 100 minute playtime.
02.05.2016 - 19:23
taset9

I had listened this album few times 2 days ago and I was completley astonished, the blend of dark ambient with a harsh riffs are totaly awesome. Triangle is way more spiritual then previous one, and I really like it . Comparing new realese to contradiction is pointless, Contr is one whole conception only divided in 2 CD's here we have someth more than just linear production.
02.05.2016 - 20:11
Lou Rambler

1st disc: Furious ("In dialogue With Death" and "Awakening From The Dream Of Life" are great songs)
2nd: The Real Deal (sludgy, transcendental... every single song is great)
3rd: Majestic pshychedelic drone

Enjoying it a lot. Not long for me...
08.05.2016 - 12:55
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Vitaliss on 02.05.2016 at 00:19

Does anyone have the lyrics or know where i can find them?

Just added them
----
08.05.2016 - 13:27
Paz

I need to get my hands on it!
08.05.2016 - 22:47
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Incredibly boring album. Couldn't find any truly redeeming factors aside from occasionally interesting guitar work
13.05.2016 - 13:33
garmling
Account deleted
The more I listen this, it keeps getting better and better! Never heard any album this long but so good! Incredible!
13.05.2016 - 20:12
Rating: 8
boo-boo

This is exactly my kind of music. I love how extensive albums these guys produce, ONE DISC IS NOT ENOUGH!!
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
16.05.2016 - 20:25
mz

Written by Alex F on 08.05.2016 at 22:47

Incredibly boring album. Couldn't find any truly redeeming factors aside from occasionally interesting guitar work

well that is odd. I at least expected you to love the third disk, because, really, it is the best thing droney I have heard in a long time.
----
16.05.2016 - 20:52
Paz

He probably doesn't even reach the 3rd part

Hits total: 14024 | This month: 28