01. Incantation
02. Spirals
03. Emergence
04. New Dawn
05. Beast Of Waste And Desolation

Guest review by
LuciferOfGayness
Rating:
Primal Gnosis is set around a campfire; there are two basses, drums, a moog and some substances. The campfire is one of those which you slowly dance around trying to evoke the spirit of Satan. That's the picture that arises after the first minutes of listening to Primal Gnosis.

Horse Latitudes's Black Soil from 2013 was a ritualistic and primitive album and the same can be said about Primal Gnosis. The bass and drums had the same primal effect on the listener, and the slow tempo and the simple bass riffs were ritualistic and psychedelic. But we can assume that the Finns thought that they didn't accomplish what they wanted - luring out the devil. When the Finns returned, they did so with another primitive album, but the simplicity from Black Soil has been substituted for more complexity. The tempo and the drums and bass are still slow and repetitive, but within that primitiveness there are more tempo changes within the repetitiveness, making their new release more interesting and esoteric than what they have released before.

Read more ››
published 23.05.2016 | Comments (0)

Found in 4 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 59 users
02.03.2016 - 13:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Giraffe Longitudes song. It's ok, I guess. Not really sure I get the appeal of this band. I don't think not having guitars is really a benefit outside the novelty aspect.

02.03.2016 - 17:39
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 02.03.2016 at 13:33

New Giraffe Longitudes song.

I like the band, but I definitely think they would benefit from a guitar in the higher registers. Without that the music feels muddy at times
02.03.2016 - 17:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 02.03.2016 at 17:39

I like the band, but I definitely think they would benefit from a guitar in the higher registers. Without that the music feels muddy at times

I only have the vaguest recollection of listening to Awakening years ago and it just sounding like it was missing a whole layer of sound. Just kind of empty music.
02.03.2016 - 17:51
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 02.03.2016 at 17:48

I only have the vaguest recollection of listening to Awakening years ago and it just sounding like it was missing a whole layer of sound. Just kind of empty music.

I think that kind of "emptiness" may be what they're going for though. Less is more type deal. Only issue is it doesn't work all that well haha, but i still enjoy their previous two albums a little. This new song sounds pretty decent as well, so I'll probably check out the full album when it's out.
02.03.2016 - 20:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I can asure you guys that live you totally don't miss the guitar. So much better than on album with all the efects. Shame it dosn't translate as well on studio. Still like these guys though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.03.2016 - 21:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.03.2016 at 20:01

I can asure you guys that live you totally don't miss the guitar. So much better than on album with all the efects. Shame it dosn't translate as well on studio. Still like these guys though.

True, I didn't consider that. I will reserve final judgement on them until I catch them onstage.
08.03.2016 - 00:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Alex F on 02.03.2016 at 17:39

I think that's kind of the point though, it's just meant to be very colossal, and smothering. More suitable for lower-range type of stuff
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.04.2016 - 23:29
Lou Rambler

I don't miss the guitar in this one. Sounds great.
29.04.2016 - 11:44
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Still the best doom album this year, such cool ungeneric sound, it sounds like a Satanic ritual on LSD. Incantation, New Dawn and Spirals are the best tracks on the album. Probably one of the best albums for me this year.

Hits total: 2517 | This month: 19