04. Who Did You Run To
05. Fallin' For You
06. Never Say Goodbye
07. Path Of Love
08. Had Enough
09. Don't Have To Fight No More
10. Silent Wonder
11. What You Take

Are you up for a mind trick? Imagine 1987. Ok, are you there? Good. Well, that's it. Here is a new super group project called Resurrection Kings, which are essentially former Dio members Craig Goldy [guitars] and Vinny Appice [drums] joining forces with Sean McNabb [bass, Quiet Riot / Dokken]. To complete the lineup, we have a talented rock vocalist in Chas West (ex-Bonham, Foreigner). This whole thing is being brought to you by courtesy of Frontiers Records, by way of producer Alessandro Del Vecchio.

By now you have surely figured out that this is a straightforward hard rock / melodic rock album. The kind of music that lets the real rock instruments do all the talking. Who needs a keyboard player anyway? Only good at noisemaking when a good silence creates a heavy beat, am I right? Seriously, there are some keyboards on this album but they do take the backseat.

In many aspects, the songs are a tribute to hard rock history. The production is very clean, but everything else is retro sounding. Nevertheless the concept is working well, especially with a quality singer such as Chas West, whose voice has the right balance between smokiness a la David Coverdale and rocking a la Robert Plant. Craig Goldy's guitar work is top-notch; and everybody is contributing his part to the whole ensemble. The songs that showcase the more melodic side of their rock sound are rather formulaic but so well put together it is hard to fault them. Yet I can't help but thinking some of these tracks would have benefited from a little variety. The ones that do feature more adventurous elements, such as "Distant Prayer" and "What You Take", seem to underline the feeling that the album could have been enhanced by investing a little more effort on a few key songs.

If you like the occasional throwback and straightforward hard rock album, this is definitely for you. If you still listen regularly to Foreigner, Whitesnake or Dokken this will make your day. If you enjoy the heavy silence in between beats, if Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are your go-to bands for rocking the night out, Resurrection Kings should make it onto your playlist.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written on 04.03.2016 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 90 users
04.03.2016 - 23:14
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
This sounds like one for the grandpa rockers, all right
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.03.2016 - 00:00
Lord_Regnier

Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.03.2016 at 23:14

This sounds like one for the grandpa rockers

Exactly the kind of thing that leaves me completely indifferent.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
05.03.2016 - 02:51
Malignar

Not horrible. Nothing I would seek out though. I wouldn't compare them to Black Sabbath or Led Zep, as the reviewer did. Definitely more in line with the first line of comparisons.
07.03.2016 - 23:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
One of band what somehow don't work in all ways, song writing, instrument writing, mixing, putting together, lyrics, vocals all simply did not work, I tried few times and even today it did not worked
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2016 - 11:46
Tomas Piller

Just by picking such a boastful name they signed a contract with universe to fail to resurrect truly miserably.

Hits total: 4233 | This month: 9