10. The Night Subscriber
11. Pale Flag
12. Passer
13. Vakaren [CD/DVD and deluxe edition bonus]
14. Sistere [LP and deluxe edition bonus]
15. Wide Awake In Quietus [digital and deluxe edition bonus]
16. Night Comes Down [Judas Priest cover] [Japanese edition bonus]

Additional info
Recorded at Studio Gröndahl, Tri-Lamb Studios and The City of Glass, November 2015 - January 2016.
Produced by Nyström/Renkse.
Engineered by Karl Daniel Lidén.
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, January - February 2016.
Track #13 mixed by Karl Daniel Lidén at Tri-Lamb Studios.
5.1 surround sound mixed by Bruce Soord at Soord Studios.
DVD by Ray Shulman for Isonic.

All songs written and arranged by Katatonia.

Art direction by Nyström/Renkse.
Artwork, design and photography by Travis Smith for Seempiecces.
Bird photography by Laura Meyers.
Band photography by Ester Segarra.

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
If you love Jonas Renske's voice and the softer Katatonia material that never seems to make it on an official LP ("Unfurl", "Sold Heart", "Second", etc...) then this may be your favorite Katatonia album ever. The Fall Of Hearts unfolds like a fairy tale, slowly and carefully, with many unexpected twists to surprise those who hang in there for the entire journey. In an era of instant gratification The Fall Of Hearts is an enigma; it demands a lot of time for small rewards and whether those rewards are worth it will be entirely determined by the person listening.

Read more ››
published 18.08.2016 | Comments (2)

Guest review by
The Massenger
Rating:
Another amazing, depressive, Swedish band returns after four years with a new album entitled The Fall Of Hearts, a name which automatically guides the mind to a repeat of the last album, Dead End Kings, and a continuation of Katatonia's way after Brave Murder Day. Brave Murder Day is one of the best classic doom/death metal albums of all time, and I believe the band was playing every song under The Rain Without End! But after this album, Katatonia's style changed little by little, and that harsh vocal sound, furious like a demon's frustration, has now changed to a beautiful, yet doleful butterfly; it seems like that was the final goal from the beginning. Undoubtedly, four years was enough time for the band to release a new challenge for their fans' ears.

Read more ››
published 25.07.2016 | Comments (2)

Found in 46 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 69   Visited by: 1350 users
08.03.2016 - 03:22
Rating: 8
Pimeässä
Pimeässä
08.03.2016 - 03:44
Maco
Pvt Funderground
x2
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.03.2016 - 13:04
Rating: 9
Oakdude
Yay! New drummer too, hope he has a similar style to their last.
08.03.2016 - 14:54
Constantine
Account deleted
09.03.2016 - 01:35
Rating: 10
Argônio
wooHOO!!
29.04.2016 - 03:12
MelancholiaC
From what I gathered from interviews, this album is heading towards a more progressive direction with longer songs, so don't pen your judgments too prematurely based on "Old Heart Falls". Personally I cannot be more excited!
29.04.2016 - 13:24
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by MelancholiaC on 29.04.2016 at 03:12

From what I gathered from interviews, this album is heading towards a more progressive direction with longer songs, so don't pen your judgments too prematurely based on "Old Heart Falls".

I someone passes jugdement after hearing one song, they are simply stupid and their opinions can be safely ignored.
19.05.2016 - 17:12
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I was totally expecting more of the same, but I was pleasantly surprised by how different this is from their previous works. Gotta give it a few more listens before I make up my mind about rating it.
19.05.2016 - 18:09
God Alone
Their tenth album is definitely their most varied and progressive ever. New drummer is brilliant and gives a new flavour to the music. Also, I don't miss Frank Default's keyboards at all. I'm absolutely in love with this, even though I still have to digest tracks like The Night Subscriber, Passer, and Residual above all, which is the most proggy thing they've ever done.

Those who hated the post-BMD (why are they still following them anyway?) or Viva Emptiness course will hate even more this album. I, for one, think there couldn't be a better way to close the circle.
20.05.2016 - 06:19
Apolyon666
These guyz are fuckin consistent... great album!!!
20.05.2016 - 08:13
Nihil Aeternum
I wonder already how their next year's accoustic release of this album will sound. Dehearted & Unflown.
20.05.2016 - 10:50
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by Nihil Aeternum on 20.05.2016 at 08:13

I wonder already how their next year's accoustic release of this album will sound. Dehearted & Unflown.

Haha

Dehearted & Unfallen)))
20.05.2016 - 11:32
Rating: 7
Akatash
This album is less accessible than their previous releases. Not that this is a problem per se. But this one just didn't click for me.
21.05.2016 - 12:27
Reaper_Redeemer
It was like it had the first three tracks as hits, being excellent by every aspect, and after that the only one that remained in this level is the voice of Jonas. I will memorize only the first part of the first half in this. Could not even be compared to the previous superb release.
21.05.2016 - 12:50
Rating: 6
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 21.05.2016 at 12:27

It was like it had the first three tracks as hits, being excellent by every aspect, and after that the only one that remained in this level is the voice of Jonas.

Exactly, the first three are solid tracks. Other than that they still failed to rid themselves of the generic and unmemorable they're notorious for in my mind.
21.05.2016 - 13:21
bogdmark
Written by Risto on 21.05.2016 at 12:50

It was like it had the first three tracks as hits, being excellent by every aspect, and after that the only one that remained in this level is the voice of Jonas.

Exactly, the first three are solid tracks. Other than that they still failed to rid themselves of the generic and unmemorable they're notorious for in my mind.

Interesting, I think the second half of the album is stronger (Passer is my favorite now), but I like the first half as well. I think this album needs a lot of listening, after the first few play I couldn't remember any melody and it seemed like they were improvising (especially Jonah), but later it becomes clear. So it's not an easy listen but it becomes beautifuI in time. I gave it a 10 because I feel like it will become one of my favorite album from them, but maybe I ranked it too early.
21.05.2016 - 16:05
TizMH00
They could do better, but not bad
21.05.2016 - 17:31
Argônio
Some parts of Passer reminds me of Silent Hill soundtrack.
21.05.2016 - 19:43
Reaper_Redeemer
Written by bogdmark on 21.05.2016 at 13:21

Written by Risto on 21.05.2016 at 12:50

Interesting, I think the second half of the album is stronger (Passer is my favorite now), but I like the first half as well. I think this album needs a lot of listening, after the first few play I couldn't remember any melody and it seemed like they were improvising (especially Jonah), but later it becomes clear. So it's not an easy listen but it becomes beautifuI in time. I gave it a 10 because I feel like it will become one of my favorite album from them, but maybe I ranked it too early.

Just wanted to add that for me at least it is not a matter of time, I listened it more than ten times in plenty of time (for some reason I could have the cd some days before).
22.05.2016 - 15:50
phanto
This style of Katatonia has been done better on their previous albums... Nothing new or exceptional on this album.
22.05.2016 - 23:55
They should stop and question themselves. I really wonder how they release something like this (or previous album).

I want to give an example from Gojira. They are about to publish new materials and we already have two singles. (I can't say that I found them extraordinary) On a few interviews, They mentioned that They want this album to be really solid (actually, their opinion is that the new album is one of the best of history). They have written a lot of songs but They thought that those materials were just not good enough, so all of those things went into garbage can.

SO, If you are planning your fans to listen good music and you are Katatonia, You just can't release this. I'm not saying It's shit. But, It's just "not bad".
23.05.2016 - 06:32
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Last Cigarette on 22.05.2016 at 23:55

SO, If you are planning your fans to listen good music and you are Katatonia, You just can't release this. I'm not saying It's shit. But, It's just "not bad".

Not many bands give a damn what their fans think.
23.05.2016 - 06:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I haven't finished this album, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. The badly intonated guitars on "Sanction" really throw me off tho.
23.05.2016 - 21:06
LordAsterion
Amazing record by Katatonia!

Some of my favorites: "Takeover", "Decima", "Sanction", "Shifts".

Also, "Wide Awake in Quietus" is a great closer!
24.05.2016 - 02:01
God Alone
Written by LordAsterion on 23.05.2016 at 21:06

I managed to listen to Vakaren (it's on the edition I bought), the very first Katatonia track sung in Swedish. Haunting, beautiful. Another incredible b-side, it reminds me of songs like Unfurl, Departer, Sold Heart... a perfect closer after Passer.

Can't find Wide Awake In Quietus anywhere yet, I'm curious to hear Greg Mackintosh featuring in a Katatonia song.
Also didn't listen to Night Comes Down, apparently a Judas Priest cover.
24.05.2016 - 05:33
LordAsterion
Written by God Alone on 24.05.2016 at 02:01

Written by LordAsterion on 23.05.2016 at 21:06

I managed to listen to Vakaren (it's on the edition I bought), the very first Katatonia track sung in Swedish. Haunting, beautiful. Another incredible b-side, it reminds me of songs like Unfurl, Departer, Sold Heart... a perfect closer after Passer.

Can't find Wide Awake In Quietus anywhere yet, I'm curious to hear Greg Mackintosh featuring in a Katatonia song.
Also didn't listen to Night Comes Down, apparently a Judas Priest cover.

I have yet to hear Vakaren - also haven't heard when Night Comes Down - hopefully I like those tracks as well!
24.05.2016 - 12:58
God Alone
Anyway, is there a kind Swedish soul that could post a rough translation of Vakaren? I only got one or two lines here and there, but it's mostly confusing for me.

Du är vakaren
Dina tankar går bredvid
Hand i hand med ljuset
Att se klart
Att aldrig vara sen
Jag hör ditt namn i bruset
Kylans port
Dörren utan lås
Dygnets cirkel runt dig
Alarmet
Om det nåansin gåar
Håll dig intill mig

Rikedom
Domen kommer
Det är så dom gör affärer
När man inte har nåt kvar att ge dom
Då kommer dom tillbaks
Ta det som ett löfte genom åren
Det finns ingen med en tanke som är klar

Bevakar ni mig nu
Jag har ett vapen i mitt hem
I det tysta huset
Men lämnar staden, landet
Kommer aldrig mer igen
Min hand kan snudda ljuset sen
Spegeln står vinklad så man ser
Snö och sedlar falla
Jag dansar tyst, bara två steg
Till höger och sen vänster
Man orkar inte mer

Men hade du gått förbi mig i staden där vi var
Innan jag hade åkt
Våra hjärtan hade lyst upp gatan då
25.05.2016 - 10:28
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
It's taking me a few listens to really absorb the album as a whole, but I notice that with each listen, there's something new I hear from it that makes me enjoy it more every time. Some of my favorite songs are "Shifts," "Pale Flag," "Decima," and "The Last Song Before The Fade." So far, I enjoy this more than the last release. Great album!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
25.05.2016 - 13:56
God Alone
I can confirm, bonus track Night Comes Down is a Judas Priest cover but it's nothing special - guess they had to add more stuff to the Japanese edition.
Sistere is another Opeth-ish track, liked it a lot.
Same goes for Wide Awake In Quietus, you can clearly hear Greg Mackintosh's touch.
Overall though I definitely prefer my own digipack version, as it ends with only Vakaren.
26.05.2016 - 22:11
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by God Alone on 24.05.2016 at 12:58

Anyway, is there a kind Swedish soul that could post a rough translation of Vakaren? I only got one or two lines here and there, but it's mostly confusing for me.

Du är vakaren
Dina tankar går bredvid
Hand i hand med ljuset
Att se klart
Att aldrig vara sen
Jag hör ditt namn i bruset
Kylans port
Dörren utan lås
Dygnets cirkel runt dig
Alarmet
Om det nåansin gåar
Håll dig intill mig