03. Writings On The Wall
04. Into Deep
05. The Boy In The Attic
06. Two Seconds In Life
07. Myron & Cole
08. As Life Flows By
09. Rain
10. Stay On These Roads [A-Ha cover] [Vinyl bonus]

After their 60 minute-long opus, Green Carnation returns with a more classic album.
The question: "can this third release be better than their previous masterpiece?" can't really be asked as far it's not the same type of album, but let's see in details what it is made of:

The first track, "Crushed To Dust", is just raw and simple, no introduction: we're invited to start the listening with a good heavy track, and that's quite surprising for Green Carnation.
The second one is divided into two parts: two real songs in one. It's softer and slower than the first track, and introduce the listener to the diversity of the band, which will be present throughout the rest of the album.
Catchy clever lyrics conducive to some introspection, inner thinking, non-demonstrative music melting acoustic & electric sounds, with some melodies played by the lead guitar, almost perfect when it comes to communicate emotions.
Then "Writings On The Wall" is in the same vein, in an active way, where we also notice a kind of oriental-influenced riff followed by a guitar solo, which doesn't interrupt the song anyway.
This fluency goes on with "Into Deep", with its bass into/outro.
And after that we can hear a piano intro, which at first was meant to be part of another project. The song "The Boy In The Attic" emerged, fading in this simple but once again beautiful introduction. The title of the album obviously comes from that song...poor boy...a sad song (sad album anyway).
"Two Seconds In Life" is a rather slow song, with some instrumental chorus that break the softness of the piano and vocals verses.
Next track, "Myron & Cole" is a more figurative one and musically less depressive than the others, except for the following "As Life Flows By" -could be a radio single- with its lively rhythm.
As an outro, "Rain", a slow title, beginning with some cello sound, with a heavier guitar riff in the middle, and some varied elements: in fact this track reminds me of "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness", but in a short version (and softer somehow).

This album is coherent, as everything is meant to communicate feelings deep into your mind (or ears at least): the composition, the lyrics & music, and the production, which was successfully done by guitarist and main composer Tchort, always deeply involved in his band.

Even though everyone agrees to say their previous release was better, you shouldn't forget this one if you're looking for some interesting Doom/slightly gothic and prog metal. It's always pleasant to listen to, although the first time you might not find this excellent.

Written by wrathchild | 18.10.2003

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 120 users
20.03.2007 - 02:39
lazarus

You were right mostly in everything, except the fact that you're comparing albums that should not be compared, obviously their previous album was amazing, but this one is also pretty good in its way, it's not a single track in first place, there are 9 songs that sound differently from each other, some of them are kinda slow but with a good rythm and the prog touch. I'm not really sure about that rate, I would have rate with 9 this effort they've made, but hey, I've got say that I listened this album first and then LoDDoD.
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
06.07.2007 - 11:16
Infurnace

This album is really beautiful. There are some great songs on there, such as the first two tracks: "Crushed To Dust" and "Lullaby In Winter".
06.07.2007 - 13:07
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think Green Carnation are so intense. Ive come to appreciate their albums a lot. At the moment I feel they are very unique as a band, delivering amazing songs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.02.2008 - 00:23
Bsquared

Love it, great album!
----
http://www.last.fm/user/Hobflop
03.12.2009 - 00:45
Rating: 8
Fat & Sassy!

A lot of the stuff on this album reminds me of The Cure's album, Disintegration. Good stuff here.
01.10.2012 - 19:58
Panterica

I'm listening to light of day...and it sounds really great. I have their album The Acoustic Verses and I was wondering how they would sound like with a more metallic approach. So far I'm pleased by the album, and if I can count on your review, I will enjoy this album as well. Sweet.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 6657 | This month: 5