01. Încape-ntr-o Vorbă
02. Dă-mi Mâna, Toamnă
03. Cărări În Suflet
04. Ultima Iarnă
05. Veacul Ruinei
06. La Apus
07. Sunt Munţi Şi Păduri [re-recording] [bonus]
08. Nestrămutaţi

I currently have in front of me a notebook from a class I took on Balkan history. In it are written the three things that I can most confidently say I know about the region of Bukovina:

1. painted monasteries
2. much nicer than Wallachia
3. heartland of Stephen III's Moldavia

Added to this list in spirit, if not in writing, is that Bukovina serves as the origin, namesake, and inspiration for Romania's great folk metal titan (no, obviously not Negură Bunget).

Bucovina describe their style as "Of Mountains and Magic," a phrase which, to my knowledge, describes the beech-shrouded hills whence the band hails just as accurately as it describes the bold, history-darkened melodies that flow paganly from these songs. This mysterious ensemble has been on my radar for several years now, ever since my introduction to their Duh EP (via a Romanian friend, naturally), but not until Nestrămutat did I divert my full attention to them. To be sure, Nestrămutat is their heaviest and most mature release to date (and, in my opinion, their strongest). Following a haunting, spoken intro, "Dă-mi Mâna, Toamnă" announces the arrival of a substantial musical force with hypnotic vocals and relentless riffs, mixing a folk-heavy simplicity with blackened intensity. "Cărări În Suflet" follows stunningly, with an especially memorable vocal performance, and Bucovina never let fall the momentum until the album's end.

Much like their Irish peers in Primordial or the Angelisc Forefather, Bucovina eschew traditional instrumentation, opting to adapt elements of folk music into song structures and atmospheres, rather than employing overt melodic reconstitutions or deviating the physical apparatus of their sound. Their heritage wells up from the mountains themselves, infusing these songs with something unspoken but magnificently palpable. In fact, their closest analog in many ways seems to be Heidevolk, who also appeal to a world of ancient wealth without explicit musical cues; while Bucovina does not boast the same swift-coursing, thunder-pounding barrel-tones of their Dutch counterparts, the Romanians can claim to be the stronger songsters, and their own harmonized lead vocals impart an antiquarian gravitas to these tunes of lore.

It behooves folk bands especially to sing in their native languages rather than English; be it Eluveitie, Chthonic, or Arkona, hearing a band of bards spinning tales in their national language only solidifies their connection to the past and heightens the impression of years and years of history bearing down upon the listener. The peculiar Slacivized-Romantic strains of Romanian sound mesmerizing and magical when echoing from the mountaintops on which Florin Ţibu and Bogdan Luparul make their stand. "Mountains and Magic" are really what Nestrămutat, and Bucovina themselves, are all about, and the enrapturing ventures on this album make it one of the most outstanding folk metal releases of 2015.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 16.03.2016 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 25   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 209 users
16.03.2016 - 13:05
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Nice review. Though Moldova, and especially Bukovina, are not quite in the Balkan Peninsula. Maybe you refer to historical and cultural influence. As for Wallachia, it depends where you look at. If you look at its Northern part, then it is as beautiful as Bukovina, with old churches and monasteries, old cities and so on. If you go southward, yes, it is a little bit more grim. Lets just say that Wallachia was not quite the success of multiculturalism.
16.03.2016 - 16:28
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 16.03.2016 at 13:05

Nice review. Though Moldova, and especially Bukovina, are not quite in the Balkan Peninsula. Maybe you refer to historical and cultural influence.

That's one reason why I have so few notes about the regions. Romania counts, at least mostly, but Bukovina being at the very northern tip of Romania, and then half in Ukraine/Moldova, does largely set it outside the purview of a Balkan society class. For historical and cultural influence, however, it is worth mentioning.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.03.2016 - 16:42
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 16.03.2016 at 16:28

Nice review. Though Moldova, and especially Bukovina, are not quite in the Balkan Peninsula. Maybe you refer to historical and cultural influence.

That's one reason why I have so few notes about the regions. Romania counts, at least mostly, but Bukovina being at the very northern tip of Romania, and then half in Ukraine/Moldova

half of Bucovina is in Ukraine, none of it is in Moldova
16.03.2016 - 17:17
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight

That's one reason why I have so few notes about the regions. Romania counts, at least mostly, but Bukovina being at the very northern tip of Romania, and then half in Ukraine/Moldova, does largely set it outside the purview of a Balkan society class. For historical and cultural influence, however, it is worth mentioning.

Bukovina did not exist as a standalone province before the Austrian annexation in the 18th century. It was just a part of Moldova. Within the Austrian administration it started to change. Minorities were brought there such as Germans, Rusyns, Jews, Hungarians, Ukrainians, etc. The first time this name was mentioned was in 1775. Moldova existed for 400 years before this name was mentioned and itincluded this region entirely. Anyway, that multicultural aspect gave it a sort of original identity. But those living in Bukovina are no different than ordinary Moldovans which are one and the same people with Romanians.
16.03.2016 - 18:09
Vitaliss

What do you mean by "much nicer than Wallachia"???
I live in Valahia (Wallachia).... and is the best goddamn region of Romania
16.03.2016 - 18:13
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Vitaliss on 16.03.2016 at 18:09

What do you mean by "much nicer than Wallachia"???
I live in Valahia (Wallachia).... and is the best goddamn region of Romania

That's a little joke at the expense of my Romanian compatriots. I've never been there myself and have no way of knowing this.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.03.2016 - 18:32
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 16.03.2016 at 17:17

Bukovina did not exist as a standalone province before the Austrian annexation in the 18th century. It was just a part of Moldova. Within the Austrian administration it started to change. Minorities were brought there such as Germans, Rusyns, Jews, Hungarians, Ukrainians, etc. The first time this name was mentioned was in 1775. Moldova existed for 400 years before this name was mentioned and it included this region entirely. Anyway, that multicultural aspect gave it a sort of original identity. But those living in Bukovina are no different than ordinary Moldovans which are one and the same people with Romanians.

This ^ is why I said this :

Written by Guest on 16.03.2016 at 16:42

half in Ukraine/Moldova

half of Bucovina is in Ukraine, none of it is in Moldova

It's growing increasingly apparent, but I don't have the strongest grasp on Romanian/Ukrainian/Moldovan/Moldavian/Habsburg geography. It's also not the sort of thing I usually research before writing a review, although I brought it up in the first place... Anyway, I had a very difficult time finding out who owned Bukovina when, largely due to what ManiacBlasphemer mentioned, and also to the lack of useful maps. At least now I know what not to say or imply in my next Bucovina review.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.03.2016 - 19:31
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 16.03.2016 at 18:32

It's growing increasingly apparent, but I don't have the strongest grasp on Romanian/Ukrainian/Moldovan/Moldavian/Habsburg geography. It's also not the sort of thing I usually research before writing a review, although I brought it up in the first place... Anyway, I had a very difficult time finding out who owned Bukovina when, largely due to what ManiacBlasphemer mentioned, and also to the lack of useful maps. At least now I know what not to say or imply in my next Bucovina review.

There is a good map on wikipedia that shows how Moldova changed over the cource of 700 years. it shows it in 3 stages: the Turkish occupation of Basarabia (currently Bugeac), the first and second partition when Bukovina was incorporated into the Austrian Empire and Bessarabia into the Russian Empire, and the current situation. Ukraine currently owns Northern Bukovina, the Northern part of Moldova and the Herta County. Bugeac is also part of Ukraine.

There are some confusions regarding Basarabia (the Southern part of Moldova) and Bessarabia, which designates the territory between Prut and Dniester rivers. The Southern part of Moldova was named Basarabia because it was owned by the dynasty of Basarab, the rulers of Wallachia, before Moldova conquered it. Russians extended the name of the region for the entire Eastern part between Prut and Dniester during the 1812 - 1918 occupation. Both Bukovina and Bessarabia are province names created when they were occupied by foreign powers. Previously, they did not exist, or they did but under other circumstances.
16.03.2016 - 22:08
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 16.03.2016 at 19:31

There is a good map on wikipedia that shows how Moldova changed over the cource of 700 years. it shows it in 3 stages: the Turkish occupation of Basarabia (currently Bugeac), the first and second partition when Bukovina was incorporated into the Austrian Empire and Bessarabia into the Russian Empire, and the current situation. Ukraine currently owns Northern Bukovina, the Northern part of Moldova and the Herta County. Bugeac is also part of Ukraine.

There are some confusions regarding Basarabia (the Southern part of Moldova) and Bessarabia, which designates the territory between Prut and Dniester rivers. The Southern part of Moldova was named Basarabia because it was owned by the dynasty of Basarab, the rulers of Wallachia, before Moldova conquered it. Russians extended the name of the region for the entire Eastern part between Prut and Dniester during the 1812 - 1918 occupation. Both Bukovina and Bessarabia are province names created when they were occupied by foreign powers. Previously, they did not exist, or they did but under other circumstances.

Thank you. I did not know this.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.03.2016 - 22:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
After Negura Bunget went from BM to folk , (not metal type of folk) and many bands seems turns to that direction. Only bands what stands out from Ro BM is Those from the sixes (damn weird name in Romanian) only Romanians can understand and take higher this band IMO.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.03.2016 - 00:23
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 16.03.2016 at 22:27

After Negura Bunget went from BM to folk , (not metal type of folk) and many bands seems turns to that direction. Only bands what stands out from Ro BM is Those from the sixes (damn weird name in Romanian) only Romanians can understand and take higher this band IMO.

Which one do you mean? Syn Ze Sase Tri? They are pretty good, but like a second rate BM band compared to Negura or Dordeduh. Romanian metal bands have few to offer in terms of innovation. We can only present our version of metal filtered through our folklore (which is the most original thing we possess). In rock music we had Phoenix, the most original rock band from Romania IMO. In metal we have like 3-4. The rest easily copied a trend, plagiarized the repertoire of international acts or just went with the flow. And because there is very little support for this genre in Romania, very few bands can make it. Negura is an exception. God knows how the fuck they managed to get their hands on a great management and PR at a time when they did not exist in this country. The very concept was known, but it took years to be understood and utilized. And in typical latino fashion, there is a lot of bad blood, lack of solidarity and bloated and uncontrolled egos within this scene. This can be easily spotted because of the very few collaborations and split albums/EPs between Romanian metal/rock bands. Sometimes I ask myself, why this insane rivalry? Most of these bands always loose more money than gain. Selling records in Romania is a no-go. Payments from concerts are few and they barely cover travelling costs. But the pride is huge.
17.03.2016 - 00:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 17.03.2016 at 00:23

Which one do you mean? Syn Ze Sase Tri?

yes, I didn't want to try spell it in Romanian, I like that band. Discovered thanks to ms
----

apos;'
[image]
17.03.2016 - 20:53
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Bad English on 17.03.2016 at 00:42

Which one do you mean? Syn Ze Sase Tri?

yes, I didn't want to try spell it in Romanian, I like that band. Discovered thanks to ms

Try Argus Megere and Ordinul Negru's latest albums. Both Black Metal bands that only gained some maturity in their last album, also higher production standards.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
17.03.2016 - 20:54
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 16.03.2016 at 19:31

Couldn't have said it better myself
----
17.03.2016 - 21:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 17.03.2016 at 20:53

[
Try Argus Megere and Ordinul Negru's latest albums. Both Black Metal bands that only gained some maturity in their last album, also higher production standards.

looks awesome thanks
----

apos;'
[image]
17.03.2016 - 21:07
RaduP
CertifiedHipster

Which one do you mean? Syn Ze Sase Tri? They are pretty good, but like a second rate BM band compared to Negura or Dordeduh. Romanian metal bands have few to offer in terms of innovation. We can only present our version of metal filtered through our folklore (which is the most original thing we possess). In rock music we had Phoenix, the most original rock band from Romania IMO. In metal we have like 3-4. The rest easily copied a trend, plagiarized the repertoire of international acts or just went with the flow. And because there is very little support for this genre in Romania, very few bands can make it. Negura is an exception. God knows how the fuck they managed to get their hands on a great management and PR at a time when they did not exist in this country. The very concept was known, but it took years to be understood and utilized. And in typical latino fashion, there is a lot of bad blood, lack of solidarity and bloated and uncontrolled egos within this scene. This can be easily spotted because of the very few collaborations and split albums/EPs between Romanian metal/rock bands. Sometimes I ask myself, why this insane rivalry? Most of these bands always loose more money than gain. Selling records in Romania is a no-go. Payments from concerts are few and they barely cover travelling costs. But the pride is huge.

Phoenix surely had a major influence on romanian metal, both by the heaviness (by that period's standards) and by the folkloric emphasis that so many bands have in today's scene.

Here's some songs for people who haven't heard of them yet. Open a bottle of palinka and enjoy:

From 1972's "Cei ce ne-au dat nume"

From 1974's "Mugur de fluier"

From 1975's "Cantofabule"
----
17.03.2016 - 21:19
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by RaduP on 17.03.2016 at 21:07

Phoenix surely had a major influence on romanian metal, both by the heaviness (by that period's standards) and by the folkloric emphasis that so many bands have in today's scene.

Here's some songs for people who haven't heard of them yet. Open a bottle of palinka and enjoy:

From 1972's "Cei ce ne-au dat nume"

From 1974's "Mugur de fluier"

From 1975's "Cantofabule"

Can't see videos in your post, so I corrected them in this quote.

P.S. Don't put the whole video link between the code brackets. Place only the letters after the '=' sign.
18.03.2016 - 15:12
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 17.03.2016 at 21:19

Can't see videos in your post, so I corrected them in this quote.

P.S. Don't put the whole video link between the code brackets. Place only the letters after the '=' sign.

edited
----
18.03.2016 - 17:34
angel_heart

Bucovina themselves clearly draw their inspiration from Phoenix.
18.03.2016 - 17:57
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by angel_heart on 18.03.2016 at 17:34

As if it is possible to be a rock or metal band in Romania without drawing inspiration from Phoenix, although in folkier bands the inspiration is more obvious.
----
18.03.2016 - 19:07
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight

It's as clearly as night and day. Bucovina is like the heavier version of Phoneix. Less progressive though. They are like straight up folk, whereas Phoenix was more subtle, belonging a more prog folk rock category. Just listen to that song, "Negru Voda Balada". Jazzy, proggy, free improvisation stuff. Typical for that time if we put it in an European perspective.
20.03.2016 - 10:51
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 18.03.2016 at 19:07

It's as clearly as night and day. Bucovina is like the heavier version of Phoneix. Less progressive though. They are like straight up folk, whereas Phoenix was more subtle, belonging a more prog folk rock category. Just listen to that song, "Negru Voda Balada". Jazzy, proggy, free improvisation stuff. Typical for that time if we put it in an European perspective.

Which is why I find Bucovina slightly disappointing. They promised a lot for their follow-up to "Sub Stele" and I don't feel like they really delivered. It just sounds like "Sub Stele Part 2". All the previous albums had a distinctive sound up until now. I really wish they'd also draw the prog influence from Phoenix too. I've been trying to convince them to write a 10 minute song, but to no avail
----
20.03.2016 - 12:31
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by RaduP on 20.03.2016 at 10:51

Which is why I find Bucovina slightly disappointing. They promised a lot for their follow-up to "Sub Stele" and I don't feel like they really delivered. It just sounds like "Sub Stele Part 2". All the previous albums had a distinctive sound up until now. I really wish they'd also draw the prog influence from Phoenix too. I've been trying to convince them to write a 10 minute song, but to no avail

I don't think they skilled as musicians as the Phoenix guys were. For a while, Phoenix pretty much gathered the elite of the Romanian rock scene. Playing real prog is very challenging. I would not convince them to write a 10 minute song unless these guys are capable to be interesting for a 10 minute song. Maybe their lack of confidence, or the fact that they know their extent and limits of their musical skills prevents them to make that one step further.
20.03.2016 - 12:36
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 20.03.2016 at 12:31

I don't think they skilled as musicians as the Phoenix guys were. For a while, Phoenix pretty much gathered the elite of the Romanian rock scene. Playing real prog is very challenging. I would not convince them to write a 10 minute song unless these guys are capable to be interesting for a 10 minute song. Maybe their lack of confidence, or the fact that they know their extent and limits of their musical skills prevents them to make that one step further.

Mostly they said that their songwriting goes along jamming and see where it goes instead of having a vision or an idea beforehand, which is why they do not attempt to write such epic songs. Still would be cool to see them try something else.
----
30.03.2016 - 13:02
angel_heart

I don't think this is their style, like ManiacBlasphemer said, they're more straightforward and they lean more towards the simplicity of folk. Phoenix were one of a kind and I don't think any band could copy them because along with the music, there was also a certain feel related to the time and conditions Phoenix was created in. I wouldn't and couldn't expect that from Bucovina.

Hits total: 8573 | This month: 4