06. Suffer The Last Bridge
07. Good Life
08. Sunlight
09. Turpentine
10. Apologue
11. How Tall The Trees
12. ...This Road
13. Grace

What I said in my Staff Pick about Oceans Of Slumber's Winter still stands true. I still feel like a ton of bricks has fallen on me. The love for this album is still mainly about one key element, though - the voice of Cammie Gilbert that elevates this doom-infused prog metal to a completely different level of perception for me.

I was utterly and irrevocably in love with Cammie's voice when, to my surprise, the third track in I heard the cover of The Moody Blues's "Nights in White Satin." A beautiful song to begin with, the band have managed to add their own heavy touch to it that complements the original while setting it apart at the same time. Cammie's emotional vocals literally reach to the bottom of the soul, while the underlying music adds an additional layer of longing, inasmuch as it's possible for this song.

What I love about the arrangement of the songs is that music and vocals often go along their own distinct paths. This particular amalgamation is interesting in that vocal lines often smooth over the underlying instrumental complexities, which works on two levels at once - capturing attention with different leads at the same time as well as actually smoothing over where music could have lent more support to the vocals.

I'm totally in love with this album, but putting aside my own sentiments towards it, Winter is a somewhat weird entity. It's evident that a lot of compositional thought has gone into it - the ever-changing passages and intricate instrumentational details speak volumes of it. However, there are moments when I feel it somewhat lacks direction and compositional finesse and focus, thus appearing erratic or disjoint.

I mean, Cammie is brilliant on vocals. She can sing just about anything. However, as most of the album was probably written and tracked before Cammie came into the band, not every aspect of the extreme prog metal nature that the band have at their back works flawlessly in present combination. In this regard the Blue covers EP released last summer is far better on the mark. The more the music supports her vocals, the better it will sound. Which is not to say the band should lay off the extremes, just that a little more compositional thought is needed.

This album is great. It really is. But you don't have to take my word for it as I'm looking at it through rose-tinted glasses and am very partial to the soulful vocals that can bring goosebumps to my skin. However, I suggest you do let Cammie's vocals work their charm. That's worth your time, if nothing else is.

Written on 19.03.2016 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 261 users
20.03.2016 - 10:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I apologize ahead of time people....the first band that comes to mind when listening to this? Opeth. Great review I. and thanks.
----
rekt
20.03.2016 - 17:23
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.03.2016 at 10:48

I apologize ahead of time people....the first band that comes to mind when listening to this? Opeth.

Poor man's Opeth, at best.
20.03.2016 - 21:10
Rating: 9
PocketMetal

I apologize ahead of time people....the first band that comes to mind when listening to this? Opeth. Great review I. and thanks.

Actually it was Pain of Salvation for me, due to the highly emotional lyrics.
20.03.2016 - 22:09
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by PocketMetal on 20.03.2016 at 21:10

I can buy that too.
----
rekt
21.03.2016 - 12:22
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I don't hear the Opeth influence, but I'm digging this album a lot.

The vocals are a highlight but the music is captivating as well. I do agree that it is a bit over the place though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.03.2016 - 15:29
Gorefest
Account deleted
Written by PocketMetal on 20.03.2016 at 21:10

Actually, it reminds me of The Gathering...the old LPs.
25.03.2016 - 14:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Night In White Satin .. juts tried, this song is why I checked out this band and album, sounds good, even original bands material is OK to, but song stand sout
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.03.2016 - 17:33
PocketMetal

Written by Guest on 23.03.2016 at 15:29

Actually, it reminds me of The Gathering...the old LPs.

Not a surprise, since their singer said she was inspired by The Gathering. She is seriously awesome, I don't remember any other metal band with a black female singer. It's good that she stepped up to fill the former guy's position.
05.04.2016 - 01:22
Sturmulus

I got to say I agree with the Opeth Reference. Being a huge Opeth fan myself, I can definitely hear it. Not as good obviously, but decent album and I love her vocals.
16.04.2016 - 15:39
Abyssus

Isn't the album cover looks like the cover of Draconian's Sovran?
14.09.2016 - 20:05
Susan
Smeghead
IVOR. DUDE. I just today heard this band and was going to first recommend them to you and then review the album Great minds think alike, it seems!!

This is a completely revelation. I'm drowning in this album right now. I'm shocked that more people aren't falling all over themselves for it but... to each their own I suppose.

Yes, the vocals. ALL THE VOCALS. I mean, Cammie is a total star and I could listen to her sing for days. That low range, that smokey tone, the way she draws power from actual support and real technique... But the way the band weaves the other vocals in with hers is so expert. Especially the "duet" between her and the growled vocals on the latter half of the title track. Yes.

And I have to mention the drumming. This dude really knows what he is doing and enhances each moment of each song in such a subtle way, yet a vitally important one. He doesn't miss a moment to make each song better.

It's so obvious that the band members have had real musical training.

But seriously. Cammie Gilbert, where have you been all my life?!!?!?!!?!

(I already ordered the blue vinyl.)
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
13.11.2016 - 04:05
Darkside Momo
Retired
She indeed has a fantastic voice - whether on album or live
----
My Author's Blog (in French)