03. When The Lights Go On
04. Tristan & Isolde
05. Eco Warrior
06. Far Away
07. Behold The Man
08. Occupy!
09. Notung
10. Wings Of Love

I have been in this game for ten years now. I mean, I'm using the Metal Archives on a daily basis, and one thing I've noticed is that there are many new bands with members over 40, forming bands without any prior musical experience. 95% of bands are formed when the members are in their 20s, so this new trend is strange. I've never heard about Lion Twin's singer, Liane Vollmer, before. It's like a CIA movie; a man shows up in town, age 40, with no history. Same with her; she has no musical history, at least as far as I know.

Musically, it's a well-balanced album; each instrument makes it awesome. It has no super pop songs, everything falling within the borders of the metal family (our land), but some songs are softer than others. It's pretty heavy, similar to power metal albums, and the keyboards are balanced, even though some say that keys aren't a metal instrument at all. Some riffs are catchy and flow into the music's vibe, as do the keyboards, bass and drums, and the beautiful vocals make it unique. I think that male vocals here would be a failure.

We're always nagging when a band changes its sound, and we're still nagging when a band doesn't change, so what do we want to get out of our music after all? I'm definitely a hard man to please, so if I like this album and can say good things about it, maybe that's good enough reason in itself to try it. I don't want to say it's an '80s album, because it isn't an MTV video album. I'm also not going to go song-by-song (no, I won't violate the rules), but I just want to say a few words about the best songs here. I would say that all the songs are strong, and they are, but somehow these are a bit stronger. Army Rangers are great, but only a few can be Navy SEALs.

"Ready To Rock" is an anti-work song, if you follow the lyrics. What do you want to do after a hard day's work, go sit in a street café? Of course not. You want to rock to a great song. The melodies and lyrics are all balanced; all you want to do is rock to this classic rock song. "Day Of Anger" is heavy and aggressive, with good riffs and a great balance between the female lead vocals and the backing vocals, both male and female. Guess what makes it so heavy - Udo himself. The Arabic part was awesome, going together perfectly with the music video that the band put out years ago. "When The Lights Go On" is an awesome ballad; simply follow its tune. It's a song about life and life's story; we all have our own fuck-ups, and we fall, and we get back up. Ballads and metal? Well, screw other people's opium - if musicians cared, we would be much more powerful. "Tristan & Isolde" is a song for the night, when you can't sleep (or have nobody to sleep with) and you wander, but what the hell does it all have to do with England? Two others that stand out are "Far Away" and "Behold The Man" (hello, Patriarch Kirill).

Thanks to ScreamingSteelUS for help and proofreading!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Bad English | 23.03.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 46 users
23.03.2016 - 00:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
My review. Enjoy
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.03.2016 - 01:41
Lord_Regnier

How were you able to write a complete review when normally you are not able to write two cohesive sentences in English?
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
23.03.2016 - 06:23
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Lord_Regnier on 23.03.2016 at 01:41

How were you able to write a complete review when normally you are not able to write two cohesive sentences in English?

ScreamingSteelUS is the answer for that question I think.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
23.03.2016 - 09:07
slim pickings
Account deleted
So a second-hand Warlock sounding band gets a 9.3...
originality - 10?! seriously...
23.03.2016 - 18:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 23.03.2016 at 09:07

To me yes... I would not play this so much if it would not stand out ...
----

apos;'
[image]
23.03.2016 - 22:22
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 23.03.2016 at 18:20

Written by Guest on 23.03.2016 at 09:07

To me yes... I would not play this so much if it would not stand out ...

standing out has got nothing to do with being original, don't know if you're ignorant or naive saying this, don't get offended, i don't aim to offend you.
23.03.2016 - 22:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 23.03.2016 at 22:22

standing out has got nothing to do with being original, don't know if you're ignorant or naive saying this, don't get offended, i don't aim to offend you.

I am not offended ... only band so called female what did in last year, because many born like rain after mushrooms , well other way around but anyway
I am super uber critical, so this band stands out to me
----

apos;'
[image]
23.03.2016 - 22:33
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 23.03.2016 at 22:28

Written by Guest on 23.03.2016 at 22:22

I am not offended ... only band so called female what did in last year, because many born like rain after mushrooms , well other way around but anyway
I am super uber critical, so this band stands out to me

you like it, I get it, but being original is one thing, standing out is another.
Redemption for example, is not that original and yet among the things I've heard this year, it stands out as a very good album IMO. Do you understand now?

Hits total: 3008 | This month: 6