Metal Storm logo
Metallica - 'Master Of Puppets' Preserved By US Library Of Congress

Metallica's 1986 masterpiece Master Of Puppets has been preserved for posterity and is the first metal title to be given the honour of being added to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress. The record was selected as one of the 25 new sound recordings added to the registry of works that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

The band commented on this: "The selections this year bring the total number of recordings to 450, as the program began in 2002, and we are proud and humbled to join such icons as John Coltrane, Merle Haggard, Santana and George Carlin, among others, in this pantheon of American recordings as 2015's inductees. Master Of Puppets is a collection of songs that we consider a defining moment in our formative years and the honor bestowed upon this album is beyond thrilling."

The US Government-run library's National Recording Registry each year selects 25 pieces judged to be "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" and keeps the best-quality originals to safeguard for future generations.

What other metal albums should be preserved for posterity?

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 25.03.2016 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 43   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 262 users
28.03.2016 - 12:25
MikeVonDoom

I wonder how many here might consider "...And Justice For All" the most underrated album ever from Metallica? If you ask me which album should be considered as the great/best, this is my choice!
28.03.2016 - 22:49
MyNameJeff

Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.03.2016 at 01:06

Written by MyNameJeff on 27.03.2016 at 21:17

This is great news for the metal community.

Only for those who think Metal should care for mainstream recognition.
Personnally, I think Metal should stay away from the mainstream as much as possible.
That's one thing I find wrong with mainstream Metal: how it so desperately tries to please people, instead of making the music you really believe in and forget about the rest.

Not everyone spends time researching about niche types of metal like we do. Normal people should have access to good metal music that they can appreciate for not being too experimental, so they can see for themselves what it's like. Elitistic opinions such as yours help terrible bands make it into the mainstream. This community is gonna end up like the jazz and classical music communities if this keeps going... Your desperation is crushing the type of music you (and I) like.
28.03.2016 - 23:28
Lord_Regnier

Written by MyNameJeff on 28.03.2016 at 22:49

Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.03.2016 at 01:06

Written by MyNameJeff on 27.03.2016 at 21:17

This is great news for the metal community.

Only for those who think Metal should care for mainstream recognition.
Personnally, I think Metal should stay away from the mainstream as much as possible.
That's one thing I find wrong with mainstream Metal: how it so desperately tries to please people, instead of making the music you really believe in and forget about the rest.

Not everyone spends time researching about niche types of metal like we do. Normal people should have access to good metal music that they can appreciate for not being too experimental, so they can see for themselves what it's like. Elitistic opinions such as yours help terrible bands make it into the mainstream. This community is gonna end up like the jazz and classical music communities if this keeps going... Your desperation is crushing the type of music you (and I) like.

I'm aware that most people do not spend time researching for more underground music. It takes time and dedication. Some people are simply not interested to do it and it's fine. And some people probably don't have the time to do it.

I don't see anything elitist in what I said on this thread. And I don't understand how people like me who like less known stuff can make terrible bands make it to the mainstream. I'm quite aware that most bands I like will never make it to the mainstream because it is too different, extreme or whatever from what most people can like. Yes, I like to promote the music I enjoy but I think you overestimate the influence a nobody like me can have. Only because a few ones like me will promote a band won't make any difference as far as this band making it to the mainstream. We don't have the influence or power to change the opinion of the majority. When I promote extreme Metal, I do it for fans of extreme Metal, not to try and convince people who dislike it. I know they will still dislike it, no matter what I can say. Of course, I'm happy if a band I like gets some recognition and success (I'm happy for the band, I mean, not for myself) but this is not what I would call "making it to the mainstream".
And even if I don't like mainstream Metal in general, I know that extreme Metal would not exist without it having been there in the first place. And mainstream Metal is the gateway to more experimental, extreme, etc music.
Now, in 2016, I believe that extreme Metal could probably survive if mainstream Metal would disappear but it would be quite detrimental for it.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
02.04.2016 - 22:43
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.03.2016 at 15:03

True, that would be Ride The Lightning. Master Of Pupets is almost a complete carbon copy of that album but with lesser songs.

Almost...the production on RTL is just god-awful...one of many reasons why MOP is waaaay better.
----
rekt
02.04.2016 - 23:57
CoolNameGuy91

Written by Hex_Omega on 25.03.2016 at 14:47

The most overrated metal album of all-time. It's great but it's not even their best album.

Honestly I've never been able to decide between the trio of RTL, MOP, and AJFA, with KEA not far behind. I don't think it's clearly their best, but the worst of those 4 is still absolutely amazing
03.04.2016 - 00:04
Zap
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.04.2016 at 22:43

the production on RTL is just god-awful

"god-awful"? Really? I admit I like the production on Master Of Puppets slightly better, but I can't even begin to understand how anyone would think there's such a huge gap in between the sound quality of both albums.

In any case, I agree with Marcel that Ride The Lightning kills its successor in the songwriting department. And just overall.
03.04.2016 - 01:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

True, that would be Ride The Lightning. Master Of Pupets is almost a complete carbon copy of that album but with lesser songs.

Almost...the production on RTL is just god-awful...one of many reasons why MOP is waaaay better.

I would say the production on rtl is actually better tothat on mop because on mop it is too slick and pristine. It lacks balls.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2016 - 07:08
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Fight Fire With Fire > Battery
Ride The Lightning > Master Of Puppets
For Whom The Bell Tolls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Thing That Should Not Be (One of their weakest tracks on the first three albums)
Fade To Black >> Welcome Home
Trapped Under Ice = Disposable Heroes (Great tracks those ones)
Escape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Leper Messiah
The Call Of Ktulu = Orion
Creeping Death = Damage, Inc

RTL shits on MOP.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
03.04.2016 - 09:49
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker

Almost...the production on RTL is just god-awful...

What... Production on RTL is by far better than on MOP. Yea yea I know, opinions
03.04.2016 - 11:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Maco on 03.04.2016 at 07:08

Fade To Black >> Welcome Home

Sanitarium is best song they've ever done,,,IMO, of course.
----
rekt
03.04.2016 - 22:22
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.04.2016 at 11:52

Sanitarium is best song they've ever done,,,IMO, of course.

It's a very good song but inferior to the one I compared to.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.04.2016 - 09:24
lte1

This is GREAT NEWS and by all means very well deserved despite all the haters and all the envious (you know who you are) who still dare to say MOP is overrated... truth be told IT IS NOT! AND YES, IT IS A MASTERPICE, A MONUMENT, A MAGNUM OPUS!

All in all in the history of Metal there are only a handful of bands/records that can compete with Metallica's MOP and one of them is none other than Metallica (again for all the haters!) with Ride The Lightning? the other contenders would be Iron Maiden with Powerslave and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Symphony X with Divine Wings Of Tragedy and The Odyssey, Dream Theater with Images And Words, Judas Priest with Painkiller, Opeth with Ghost Reveries, Megadeth with Rust In Peace and if you are more open minded Rush with Hemispheres, Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves.
30.04.2016 - 01:32
ADIresiduos

Great move, great choice... good to see metal is being recognized by others, not only us metalheads. Guys, be happy for this; I know we all have our personal favorites, but this inductment is a good sign for the metal community. Metal for the masses!!

Hits total: 3353 | This month: 11