09. Collapse
10. Recharging The Void

The Best Thrash Metal Album Of 2016
Top 20 albums of 2016: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 161

Guest review by
The Massenger
Rating:
I would love Vektor's thrash metal. Perhaps one of the reasons is the singing of David DiSanto, like the great Chuck Schuldiner's. But without considering this resemblance and the inspiration that Death's style had on Vektor, the adventure of these Arizona metalheads is interesting to me. From the first album, entitled Black Future, I was attracted to them; but five years doesn't seem like a bad time for the flying saucer known as Vektor to fly towards its third manifesto. If you think the main reason for the darkness of space is the non-reflectivity of light, it is necessary to travel to space with the octopus of Vektor; if you think the void needs to charge and recharge, it's necessary to listen to the tenth track. It seems Vektor traveled to space to see the astrological signs and the conclusion of our planet Earth, a conclusion, of course, of a void-world that made itself and charged up, but at last, there was no choice but to recharge/discharge it.

Read more ››
published 26.08.2016 | Comments (3)

Found in 106 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 158   Visited by: 1732 users
10.05.2016 - 19:00
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2016 at 14:47

Written by K✞ulu on 09.05.2016 at 14:37

For example, I really like Pillars of Sand, but I can't really hear any bass there...

Then I think you need a new set of ears.
Even on the YouTube version of that track that Earache posted about a month ago I can clearly hear a bass.

Let me put it differently: I do hear the low frequencies, but I don't hear any clear bass lines, and that's what sucks. But I do have to admit it sounds much better on my HiFi speakers. Pillars of Sand as well as other songs does have clear audible bass lines at times.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.05.2016 - 19:10
Rating: 10
Revant
The most interesting take on thrash since cowboys from hell IMO.
10.05.2016 - 22:42
Rating: 9
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Truly fantastic album, not sure about the score just yet though. But I think I like it more than Outer Isolation.
11.05.2016 - 16:57
hazardinnio
Well, this is easily the best metal album I've heard this year so far, and I enjoyed it much more than Outer Isolation, but Black Future is still my absolute fav, and songs like "Forests of Legend" and "Tetrastructural Minds" still stand unbeatable for me. But, honestly, this is Vektor's most complex and mature album, it really worth every second you put into listetning and re-listening to it. it's not "overrated" at all (If anyone wonder), it deserves it, very few bands in metal are able to make this level material today.
11.05.2016 - 22:01
MelancholiaC
I will admit I'm not a big fan of thrash, but wow - a rating of 9.1?

It seems that recently on MS at least one album a year will be ridiculously overrated while all the others continue to suffer decline. Sometimes I wonder if the rating system is just becoming irrelevant on all fronts here.
11.05.2016 - 22:07
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by erikwithafro81 on 10.05.2016 at 17:43

Also, Ktulu, I'm surprised at your reaction man! Not trying to diminish your opinion or anything, but I had a feeling you'd enjoy this because it's far more of a Black Future vibe than OI was. If you have any production questions for the instruments, as I recorded all the guitars and bass myself, I'd be happy to answer. I would recommend multiple spins of course, it is a prog album, and prog albums take a few listens to really digest everything going on.

-Erik

I gave Terminal Redux 6 spins already. It's growing on me, and yes, the style (and sound) is much closer to Black Future. Still I have to say that Black Future sounds a bit punchier and clearer to me.

And I would also say that this is probably the first actually prog Vektor album. I know I will be playing it a lot.

Also, looking forward to seeing you again in Prague, and please don't book any other club than Modra Vopice.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.05.2016 - 04:04
Fearmeister
Account deleted
People don't agree with me. Must be the websites fault!
12.05.2016 - 05:04
Diverge
Written by Guest on 12.05.2016 at 04:04

People don't agree with me. Must be the websites fault!

It's obviously the fault of the rating system
12.05.2016 - 06:04
Apolyon666
Event Horizon theme... watch the movie!!!
12.05.2016 - 06:25
Apolyon666
This album is so "Esoteric"...
12.05.2016 - 16:28
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
This is probably the best thrash album that's come out in many years. Lyrically it's quite impressive as well, which is a nice touch
13.05.2016 - 18:17
paragraph7
While I would be hesitant to give it a full 10, it's an excellent, excellent, album. Collapse and Recharging the Void are epic and I hope they will make use of more dynamic songs like that on the next album, and just create something of pure magic on par with the Top 50 All time stuff. They got the ability for sure.
14.05.2016 - 03:15
Overrwatcher
My first time listening to this band, and as others say, this is definitely an album that requires multiple listens. It's hard for me to digest at a first listen. My opinion will likely rise significantly as I give it more listens. It's got some really amazing riffs to it though, and not even from one specific influence but many. The last two songs were really good, I'm always happy to see metal bands experiment with something out of the norm for them.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
14.05.2016 - 21:25
joshsteph
These guys just can't disappoint. Excellent album and for me this band is kinda special, because I love Death and its technical approach on extreme music. I'm so glad I found this band to fill in that kind of space Chuck's death left in the genre. It's not the same, of course, but for my ears it's the closest. Love it!
15.05.2016 - 06:03
Overrwatcher
Written by joshsteph on 14.05.2016 at 21:25

These guys just can't disappoint. Excellent album and for me this band is kinda special, because I love Death and its technical approach on extreme music. I'm so glad I found this band to fill in that kind of space Chuck's death left in the genre. It's not the same, of course, but for my ears it's the closest. Love it!

I definitely heard a few riffs that reminded me so much of Death. It made me so happy. For a few moments it felt like Chuck was still with us.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
15.05.2016 - 06:45
Joe Zombie
I honestly can't understand the hype for these guys. I've listened to this record a few times now. Still uninteresting. Oh well. Never cared for thrash anyway.
15.05.2016 - 12:12
EliteJerk
Written by Joe Zombie on 15.05.2016 at 06:45

I honestly can't understand the hype for these guys.

Written by Joe Zombie on 15.05.2016 at 06:45

Never cared for thrash anyway.

Here's your answer.
16.05.2016 - 03:02
erat
Good shit good shit right here
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
16.05.2016 - 22:04
Dave FC
Overall it's a good album but not even close to Outer Isolation. Tracks 1, 3, 8 & 10 are very, very good.
But, seriously, it lacks its previous epicness I know it's a subjective matter but that's the way i feel with the new songs.
I'd say more: track #2 sucks a lot is super meh
17.05.2016 - 00:59
MyNameJeff
Written by Dave FC on 16.05.2016 at 22:04

Overall it's a good album but not even close to Outer Isolation. Tracks 1, 3, 8 & 10 are very, very good.
But, seriously, it lacks its previous epicness I know it's a subjective matter but that's the way i feel with the new songs.
I'd say more: track #2 sucks a lot.

That's funny, in my opinion Outer Isolation was their weakest album :p
17.05.2016 - 14:40
Dave FC
Written by MyNameJeff on 17.05.2016 at 00:59

I'd say more: track #2 sucks a lot is super meh

17.05.2016 - 15:28
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by MyNameJeff on 17.05.2016 at 00:59

I'd say more: track #2 sucks a lot.

same hare.. OI sounds pretty uninspired compared to BF and this album...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.05.2016 - 11:10
boo-boo
(TO ME) Recharging The Void almost sounds like something Sigh would produce if they chose to play with this genre. Anyway, a solid release.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
18.05.2016 - 14:59
Rating: 6
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2016 at 14:21

He probably heard a leak or some streaming thing on another website. The finished product sounds great. Top notch production.

Agree the production is first rate. The drums sound amazing, especially the hi-hats. Best sounding drums on a record for me since the Tribulation album last year.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
18.05.2016 - 21:51
c4rc4sss
SOunds a lot like early Death
18.05.2016 - 21:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by c4rc4sss on 18.05.2016 at 21:51

This sounds nothing like the first three Death albums at all. AT most a bit like The Sound Of Perserverence but not even that much like that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2016 - 22:05
c4rc4sss
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2016 at 21:57

Written by c4rc4sss on 18.05.2016 at 21:51

This sounds nothing like the first three Death albums at all. AT most a bit like The Sound Of Perserverence but not even that much like that.

That's my opinion .... nothing new just more of the same so i don't get all the fuzz on this album...
18.05.2016 - 22:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by c4rc4sss on 18.05.2016 at 22:05

nothing new just more of the same so i don't get all the fuzz on this album...

There I absolutely agree. Killing Technology era VioVod with some old Destruction vocals. Plus bad songwriting. Just riffs upon riffs of riffs.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2016 - 15:00
Dave FC
Vocals are very similar to Schuldiner's on TSOP.

About the bad songwriting i agree. They're not that good on it. Specially on that second song. It's like 20 different riffs superglued one after another. There is no flow on the song and obviously this is NOT progressive at all. Don't get me wrong: I like those parts 'like the moon is silent' and 'iso subject 5' but the song itself is just a collection of riffs and rhythms. Nothing more.
There are songs that i like more or less but my 'high rating' goes mainly for the musicianship... They are so good!
19.05.2016 - 16:13
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yes this is definitely really good, their best yet.

Regarding the comments about bad songwriting, it's not that they are bad at it, it's just a different approach. Bands like Between The Buried And Me, Unexpect or Deathspell Omega usually follow this approach and I really dig it. Not following a pattern of repeating sections like most songs we hear today is actually very refreshing, the usual Intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-outro pattern gets tiring, or slight variations of it even if not followed by textbook.

Hits total: 43621 | This month: 102