Metal Storm logo
Metal bands that will turn anyone into Metal?

Original post

Posted by Kais, 09.04.2016 - 18:13
Hey everyone.
I'm trying to turn my girlfriend a bit into metal music becuase she'd agreed with me to go to Tuska Open Air this year, and she has no metal background.
She liked a few songs by Cain's Offering and Kamelot, and dissed bands like Xandria, Powerwolf and an attempt to turn her into Prog Metal, Leprous.
Can anyone recommend more bands she should hear? I wouldn't want her to come to Tuska and hate it from the start.
12.04.2016 - 15:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Why would you want to turn people into metal when they are perfectly happy with the music they listen to. I would hate it of some of my non-metal friends tired and turn me into the music they listen to.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.04.2016 - 16:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Sometimes they realize it's what they've been looking for but somehow didn't find it?
If someone hadn't tried to get me into metal I could have not started, I dunno... =p
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
13.04.2016 - 00:51
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.04.2016 at 15:20

Why would you want to turn people into metal when they are perfectly happy with the music they listen to. I would hate it of some of my non-metal friends tired and turn me into the music they listen to.

I'm all for helping people discover new music but trying to force some kind of music on people is bad.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
14.04.2016 - 12:16
FYA
Destroyer
Asking Alexandria?
14.04.2016 - 23:49
Enteroctopus
I'd just throw some metal at the woman every now and then and let her deal with it, man.

My wife says some funny shit sometimes, when I first started getting into Stortregn she's like, "What the fuck are you listening to, a train?!"

Lol, love that band but it kinda does sound like a train.

If we're on a road trip and I need to stay awake I can rock most any classic metal or commercial thrash (not Slayer, lol). Ozzy, Maiden, Megadeth are all fair game. Sabbath. Who doesn't like Sabbath? Something wrong in your head if you don't.

Black/death metal is not for everyone. Prog can be a bit unapproachable, too, for the average listener. 15 minute songs, three different time signatures at once. People are like, "Oh, you're one of THOSE nerds!"

Yeah, so?

For the girlfriend I'd try some Diary of a Madman or her, or how about Countdown to Extinction?
18.04.2016 - 21:44
Kais
Not forcing her at all. She agreed to go to Tuska with me, and she likes metal to some extent.
All I want is to enrich her knowledge of metal music and maybe, if she likes it enough, to keep listening to metal (at her choice).
The last thing I want is to forcefully make her listen to something.
19.04.2016 - 19:37
EricAxel36
Took my girl to Alcest, pretty easy to get into, obviously not very 'metal' anymore or even in the first place, but she liked the harsher vocals live.

She got us Amon Amarth tickets for my birthday now. Hegg's growls are pretty easy to understand, I think that's the biggest complaint from people who don't listen to metal: "Omg I can't understand what he's saying"

Try post-metal and slower tempo melodic death.
16.05.2016 - 19:31
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by EricAxel36 on 19.04.2016 at 19:37

She got us Amon Amarth tickets for my birthday now. Hegg's growls are pretty easy to understand, I think that's the biggest complaint from people who don't listen to metal: "Omg I can't understand what he's saying"

Yeah post-metal nice start for ppl who want know about metal.

What? "Omg I can't understand what he's saying" . Ok dude. Fuck those people.
18.05.2016 - 02:41
Ganondox
I think we are approaching this wrong. Instead of just throwing out more accessible metal bands and what METAL she already likes, we should look at what NON-METAL music she already likes, so we can get an idea of her general taste in music. People do in fact have different tastes.

Written by Guest on 10.04.2016 at 22:05

Horrible horrible suggestions she will think that metal is pop on speed without any artistical ambitions at all. I would suggest you drop the power metal bullshit and let her listen to something with a greater apporach. This album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5N8mVszjvc is a pretty light start and a album hard not to like. Dont throw shit at her, she will never like that.

That is not how normal people think about music, and while that's a great album, I definitely would NOT start someone off with that. There is more to accessibility than just being lighter, and some stuff is very accessible while still has very artistic. You see a lot of that in indie rock than in metal though, but if you just want to show off artistry in metal without getting inaccessible, I'd go with Deftones or DTP...or more power metal...

Written by Lord_Regnier on 12.04.2016 at 04:16

Written by Lou Rambler on 12.04.2016 at 02:21

Written by Lord_Regnier on 12.04.2016 at 00:51

Written by Lou Rambler on 11.04.2016 at 18:31

Iron Maiden and Metallica never fail...

Not too sure about early Metallica. Might be a bit too much for a newcomer.

You're right, i was thinking of Metallica's nineties

I don't see problems with "And Justice For All", it's accessible and I remember that lots of non-Metal fans liked it in the 80's. Perhaps "Master Of Puppets" could do too. This is Metallica's breakthrough album precisely because even if it shares many similarities with "Ride The Lightning", it's more polished and accessible. But I would try "And Justice For all" first.

However, I think "Kill 'Em' All" and "Ride The Lightning" are too raw and aggressive for newcomers. Also, "Kill 'Em' All" sounds kinda shitty. It's an old album made at a time when Metallica had no money.

Of course, there's a huge difference between 80's Metallica and the stuff they released in the 90's. Metallica were heavy, often fast and aggressive in the 80's.
They were very Metal at that time. They were heavier and harsher than Iron Maiden back then.

I would not start with "...And Justice For All" because the production on that album is AWFUL, save it for people who are really into composition. Also the song "Dyer's Eve" is quite harsh. "Ride the Lightning" would probably actually be easier for newcomer's to swallow, it has a few pretty accessible songs on it, and more importantly, IT ACTUALLY HAS BASS.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 12.04.2016 at 15:05

Most of my friends who aren't all that into metal who I've tried to convert have really dug Mastodon when I've played some for them. I should note though, that it's usually the newer Mastodon material that wins people over more so than the older, heavier stuff. But both periods of the band are quite good in my book, so no worries there! I'd say play Crack The Skye for your girl if you haven't yet and see what she thinks. Most of the non-metal people I've showed that album to have ended up loving it

I always considered even newer Mastodon just too weird for most people, but I'll take your word for it. If you're okay with weird, newer Mastodon is great, and if you're also okay with rather long meandering songs, Crack the Skye is good.
18.05.2016 - 07:46
Kennoth
None. Of course, the usual gateways genres like nu metal, power metal and the like are the obvious choices for someone completely ignorant of heavy metal scene.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
29.06.2016 - 02:53
ADIresiduos
Don't force feed her, just listen to the music that you like and she'll give you her opinion... and you should respect her opinion.
Has someone tried to turn you to pop music? just an example.....
If she goes with you to the metal concert even if she is definitely not into metal, then she must really like you... consider yourself a lucky guy!
29.06.2016 - 08:23
Metal Ninja
Try & make a compilation/playlist of songs by bands that are playing at the "Tuska Open Air" and see what her reaction is when hearing it together, most ladies I know love a little bit of Katatonia or Avantasia during the midnight hour
She will probably really enjoy the Tuska festival & maybe get into bands that appeal to her during the time you spent their together, if she likes you a lot she will not give a crap about what music you like anyway!
But some friendly advice for you "do not try and change her" just let her be who she is & go with the flow.
24.06.2017 - 14:04
Frosst
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 16.05.2016 at 19:31

Written by EricAxel36 on 19.04.2016 at 19:37

Yeah post-metal nice start for ppl who want know about metal.

What? "Omg I can't understand what he's saying" . Ok dude. Fuck those people.

That was me in the beginning but now I can understand what they're singing more clearly.
----
Favourite bands:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836793/

Favourite artists:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836309/
24.06.2017 - 14:15
Frosst
Written by Ganondox on 18.05.2016 at 02:41

I think we are approaching this wrong. Instead of just throwing out more accessible metal bands and what METAL she already likes, we should look at what NON-METAL music she already likes, so we can get an idea of her general taste in music. People do in fact have different tastes.

Horrible horrible suggestions she will think that metal is pop on speed without any artistical ambitions at all. I would suggest you drop the power metal bullshit and let her listen to something with a greater apporach. This album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5N8mVszjvc is a pretty light start and a album hard not to like. Dont throw shit at her, she will never like that.

That is not how normal people think about music, and while that's a great album, I definitely would NOT start someone off with that. There is more to accessibility than just being lighter, and some stuff is very accessible while still has very artistic. You see a lot of that in indie rock than in metal though, but if you just want to show off artistry in metal without getting inaccessible, I'd go with Deftones or DTP...or more power metal...

I don't see problems with "And Justice For All", it's accessible and I remember that lots of non-Metal fans liked it in the 80's. Perhaps "Master Of Puppets" could do too. This is Metallica's breakthrough album precisely because even if it shares many similarities with "Ride The Lightning", it's more polished and accessible. But I would try "And Justice For all" first.

However, I think "Kill 'Em' All" and "Ride The Lightning" are too raw and aggressive for newcomers. Also, "Kill 'Em' All" sounds kinda shitty. It's an old album made at a time when Metallica had no money.

Of course, there's a huge difference between 80's Metallica and the stuff they released in the 90's. Metallica were heavy, often fast and aggressive in the 80's.
They were very Metal at that time. They were heavier and harsher than Iron Maiden back then.

I would not start with "...And Justice For All" because the production on that album is AWFUL, save it for people who are really into composition. Also the song "Dyer's Eve" is quite harsh. "Ride the Lightning" would probably actually be easier for newcomer's to swallow, it has a few pretty accessible songs on it, and more importantly, IT ACTUALLY HAS BASS.

Most of my friends who aren't all that into metal who I've tried to convert have really dug Mastodon when I've played some for them. I should note though, that it's usually the newer Mastodon material that wins people over more so than the older, heavier stuff. But both periods of the band are quite good in my book, so no worries there! I'd say play Crack The Skye for your girl if you haven't yet and see what she thinks. Most of the non-metal people I've showed that album to have ended up loving it

I always considered even newer Mastodon just too weird for most people, but I'll take your word for it. If you're okay with weird, newer Mastodon is great, and if you're also okay with rather long meandering songs, Crack the Skye is good.

Well, ...And Justice For All is my favourite album of Metallica and I don't consider the production to be in any way awful. I also don't care that it doesn't have any bass as it has a pretty unique sound. I do like bass but just because it doesn't have that doesn't mean it's a bad album IMO.
----
Favourite bands:

Favourite artists:
02.07.2017 - 23:52
Ganondox
Written by Frosst on 24.06.2017 at 14:15

Well, ...And Justice For All is my favourite album of Metallica and I don't consider the production to be in any way awful. I also don't care that it doesn't have any bass as it has a pretty unique sound. I do like bass but just because it doesn't have that doesn't mean it's a bad album IMO.

It's a great album, don't get me wrong, but it's not one I'd start new comers to metal out on, especially considering we live in the age of bass music. Keep in mind that you aren't most people.
06.07.2017 - 10:33
Frosst
Written by Ganondox on 02.07.2017 at 23:52

Written by Frosst on 24.06.2017 at 14:15

It's a great album, don't get me wrong, but it's not one I'd start new comers to metal out on, especially considering we live in the age of bass music. Keep in mind that you aren't most people.

I'm aware of that. I never said it's a great album for newcomers just that it's a great album. I personally didn't get into metal through it.
----
Favourite bands:

Favourite artists:
06.07.2017 - 14:55
Paz
Elite
Trim your quotes for god's sake..