Metal Storm logo
The easiest genre to get into

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 22.03.2007 - 05:18
As opposite to the thread: the most difficult genre to get into, I'd be interesting to see your opinions on this issue.
Imo, getting into a genre deppends of the music we listen to, besides Metal and what we search in Metal, for example: I got really easy into Gothic Metal because I was interested in the dark side of music, life, art... and I got really interested in the gothic culture for some time.
So, imo, the easiest genre to get into would be Power or Heavy, I can't decide which is the easiest one
08.08.2011 - 20:21
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well personally I think its Heavy Metal. Thats what got me into metal first of and I think that the sound and the vocals (lyrics aswell) are probably more accepted generally. Also for someone who never heard of metal its easy to sing along and follow the rythm of the music if you compare it with Thrash, Death or Technical metal.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.08.2011 - 16:03
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 08.08.2011 at 20:21

Well personally I think its Heavy Metal. Thats what got me into metal first of and I think that the sound and the vocals (lyrics aswell) are probably more accepted generally. Also for someone who never heard of metal its easy to sing along and follow the rythm of the music if you compare it with Thrash, Death or Technical metal.

Heavy Metal and some old school Thrash like Metallica and Megadeth.
That's how I got into metal.
16.08.2011 - 19:15
antk
Undoubtedly Heavy Metal and Melodic Death Metal. To "virgin" ears I think these are the easiest genres to interpretate and therefore get into.
16.08.2011 - 19:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by antk on 16.08.2011 at 19:15
Undoubtedly Heavy Metal and Melodic Death Metal. To "virgin" ears I think these are the easiest genres to interpretate and therefore get into.

I'd put metalcore and power metal up there as well. And maybe gothic or industrial/alternative metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.08.2011 - 20:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.08.2011 at 19:56

I'd put metalcore and power metal up there as well. And maybe gothic or industrial/alternative metal.

I'll help you:
Here is possible to find all the easiest metal genres to get into
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.08.2011 - 21:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.08.2011 - 01:51
antk
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.08.2011 at 20:04

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.08.2011 at 19:56

I'll help you:

Ahaha true!
18.08.2011 - 04:51
dr.doom
Depends on what you're into before metal.
I was into punk, went to a Gwar show where Devildriver opened for them, I was hooked.
What do people call them? Melodeath maybe? So that and plain old heavy metal and thrash I say.
18.08.2011 - 04:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by dr.doom on 18.08.2011 at 04:51
What do people call them?

Devildriver = groove metal, although their debut and sophomore releases were more metalcore.
----
20.08.2011 - 03:15
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.08.2011 at 21:11

Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.08.2011 at 20:04

Exactly.

Power Metal is very hard to get into actually. Might be for me only though.
20.08.2011 - 13:49
Obviously heavy metal springs to mind. I think the melodic genres are easier for people new to metal to get into.
21.10.2011 - 03:54
king_matt
I'd say metalcore, since most people who listen to anything remotely metal at my school listen to that.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
21.10.2011 - 04:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by king_matt on 21.10.2011 at 03:54
I'd say metalcore, since most people who listen to anything remotely metal at my school listen to that.

In terms of easiest metal genres to get into, I'd have to agree. I mean it's impossible to say which is the easiest because tastes differ, but (melodic) metalcore is one of the most simple, accessible genres out there. Just look at bands like Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying.
----
21.10.2011 - 06:06
Sonic MrSumo
Alternative metal gets my vote...it really does span a wide range of bands / sounds.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
22.10.2011 - 01:24
ColdRail
Maybe symphonic metal
22.10.2011 - 04:29
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
My first ever metal band was Metallica. But before that i listened to Nu metal bands like Linkin Park & that Fred Durst Band..... Dunno abt others but i dont think the gen i belong to can really appreciate and listen to old school HM and get into Xtreme metal by that.
The only starters 4 me were the s0-called Mainstream metal bands (read alt metal).
So Thrash metal for me is the easiest to get into.....
22.10.2011 - 05:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Sadly metalcore.... i try to get the n00bs 'round here to at least listen to good metalcore, but no they're going to listen to as blood runs black >:(
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.12.2011 - 16:56
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Nu metal is what everyone around me was listening to back when I was 14 or something and my favorite artists were still U2, Queen and David Bowie. So my vote would go to that good old nu.
04.12.2011 - 16:57
Kennoth

Melodic Death Metal

Are you insane? You'd recommend MDM for a metal rookie? Kudos. I can just see them blasting Amon Amarth after listening to Oasis.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
04.01.2012 - 03:08
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Kennoth on 04.12.2011 at 16:57

Melodic Death Metal

Are you insane? You'd recommend MDM for a metal rookie? Kudos. I can just see them blasting Amon Amarth after listening to Oasis.

I believe he is either one of the true kvlt people who think anything in melodic in prefix is so sugary sweet it makes one's eyes water (or whatever the figure of speech is, it's 2AM here), or he assumes that those plastic melodeath bands that are manufactured like crazy are the only types of melodeath around.

A lot of people, even those who have been into metal for quite some time, draw the line at the harsh vocals. You can imagine how alien it would sound to a total newbie, unless he has the capacity to dig extreme metal right at the start, in which case, start listening to extreme metal right away I personally haven't had a problem with it, be it the teen-angsty, "extreme power metal type" I do still sometimes indulge in, or "proper" melodeath. But I know a shitload of people who would have shied away from metal if they came across it first.

But then again, those who say that melodic types of metal like power, "gothy" metal or even PROG (bitches please, like anyone started listening to metal in general cause of i.e Fates Warning?) are the easiest to get into are mistaken. A lot of people gets into metal from thrash/heavy and work their way up the extreme ladder, despising power metal/pseudo symphonic metal all the way up. I don't think thrash is that necessary to listen to a lot, I'm a metalhead and have never heard more than 50 songs from all the big four of thrash all together, so it is possible to appreciate stuff without thrash. But I'd argue that one should start with classic heavy metal, though as long as you keep exploring and have a knack for the music, it doesn't matter what brought you here in the first place.
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.01.2012 - 03:20
MetalicIron
I think the hardest genre to get to is extreme nu metal like Slipknot, cuz you guys here always refuse to listen to it.
----
/m\ METAL /m\
04.01.2012 - 03:22
RavenKing
Written by Milena on 04.01.2012 at 03:08

A lot of people, even those who have been into metal for quite some time, draw the line at the harsh vocals.

I do. That's why I would recommend to someone entirely new to metal to begin with traditional Heavy Metal and Power/Speed Metal (old Powermetal, if you want), then move to Thrash and more extreme genres like Black and Death.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.01.2012 - 03:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
The easiest genre to get into is tablecore.
----
04.01.2012 - 03:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=4644
these guys are very easy to get into.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.01.2012 - 03:29
RavenKing
Written by MetalicIron on 04.01.2012 at 03:20

I think the hardest genre to get to is extreme nu metal like Slipknot, cuz you guys here always refuse to listen to it.

It's hard to get into something when it sucks.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.01.2012 - 03:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by RavenKing on 04.01.2012 at 03:29

Bingo.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.01.2012 - 17:06
Kennoth
Written by Milena on 04.01.2012 at 03:08

Written by Kennoth on 04.12.2011 at 16:57

Melodic Death Metal

I believe he is either one of the true kvlt people who think anything in melodic in prefix is so sugary sweet it makes one's eyes water (or whatever the figure of speech is, it's 2AM here), or he assumes that those plastic melodeath bands that are manufactured like crazy are the only types of melodeath around.

A lot of people, even those who have been into metal for quite some time, draw the line at the harsh vocals. You can imagine how alien it would sound to a total newbie, unless he has the capacity to dig extreme metal right at the start, in which case, start listening to extreme metal right away I personally haven't had a problem with it, be it the teen-angsty, "extreme power metal type" I do still sometimes indulge in, or "proper" melodeath. But I know a shitload of people who would have shied away from metal if they came across it first.

But then again, those who say that melodic types of metal like power, "gothy" metal or even PROG (bitches please, like anyone started listening to metal in general cause of i.e Fates Warning?) are the easiest to get into are mistaken. A lot of people gets into metal from thrash/heavy and work their way up the extreme ladder, despising power metal/pseudo symphonic metal all the way up. I don't think thrash is that necessary to listen to a lot, I'm a metalhead and have never heard more than 50 songs from all the big four of thrash all together, so it is possible to appreciate stuff without thrash. But I'd argue that one should start with classic heavy metal, though as long as you keep exploring and have a knack for the music, it doesn't matter what brought you here in the first place.

Agreed. Classic heavy metal or power/nu metal is the way to go. Nu metal often has unclean vocals though, so it could be perceived as heavier form of music than the former two (yeah, hate me now). As for the thrash, I never liked it. I'm ok with some groove, or progressive thrash, thrash/death, but not the clean thing. Take Kreator for example: the music is fine, but when the dude starts singing I'm like wtf? Such a lightweight voice that doesn't fit the music behind it. But that's just me.

And finally, I don't get people concerning themselves with what forms of metal they listen to. I can safely say I listened to pretty much any subgenre, and there's at least one band in each that I really like. People trying to impress others with it is.. lame. But I guess that just shows how metalheads are not excluded from sheep-like mentality.

Written by RavenKing on 04.01.2012 at 03:29

Very original of you. Never saw it coming. Congratulations.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
04.01.2012 - 19:34
NLthrasher
I'd say melodic stuff in general as that is easier to listen where as when you listen to more technical stuff it also requires some musical knowledge to really enjoy it. over the top stuff will also be harder, as in my own experience people have a hard time getting into King Diamond because of the 'over the top' or at leas extreme vocals.
04.01.2012 - 22:51
theFIST
Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.10.2011 at 05:27

Sadly metalcore.... i try to get the n00bs 'round here to at least listen to good metalcore, but no they're going to listen to as blood runs black >:(

maybe the approach "what you listen to is shit, but look, this is in the same genre but good" isn"t that effective
you could tell them "i tried what you like and found something similar", then showing them a simple filler song by a good or formerly good band
after having tried a minute of that garbage band you mentioned (it already had a breakdown then :O ) i think you could get them into grindcore through Kill The Client (that put all the breakdowns they ever did into the song Downfall) or into Death Metal through Kataklysm (the song Push The Venom would fit their taste) and when they like that they"ll explore more stuff starting from there
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
31.05.2013 - 00:53
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Glam, heavy and nu-metal