Metal Storm logo
The easiest genre to get into

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 22.03.2007 - 05:18
As opposite to the thread: the most difficult genre to get into, I'd be interesting to see your opinions on this issue.
Imo, getting into a genre deppends of the music we listen to, besides Metal and what we search in Metal, for example: I got really easy into Gothic Metal because I was interested in the dark side of music, life, art... and I got really interested in the gothic culture for some time.
So, imo, the easiest genre to get into would be Power or Heavy, I can't decide which is the easiest one
31.05.2013 - 21:26
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
I would say Power Metal in general and Heavy Metal.
01.06.2013 - 16:49
R Lewis
I'd say Black Progressive Doom Cathedral Metal, with some Djent here and there. Now that is easy to get into.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
03.06.2013 - 16:15
Jtbmetal123
The hardest genre still today to get into is Glam metal. as the make up and everything just kills me inside, but the music keeps me coming back.
03.06.2013 - 19:54
whatsacow
Written by Redn1ght on 31.05.2013 at 21:26

Nope. I can't stand Power metal at all, and found it to be one of the hardest genres to get into. It's so cheesy that it turns a lot of people off.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
03.06.2013 - 20:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by whatsacow on 03.06.2013 at 19:54

Nope. I can't stand Power metal at all, and found it to be one of the hardest genres to get into. It's so cheesy that it turns a lot of people off.

disagree. whether you or i like it is immaterial. we're looking at a wider scope and it stands to reason that since most people seem to like catchy melodic tunes (it's what dominates radio play) the catchiest, most melodic forms of metal would be the easiest gateway for the majority.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.06.2013 - 20:21
whatsacow
Written by BitterCOld on 03.06.2013 at 20:09

disagree. whether you or i like it is immaterial. we're looking at a wider scope and it stands to reason that since most people seem to like catchy melodic tunes (it's what dominates radio play) the catchiest, most melodic forms of metal would be the easiest gateway for the majority.

Idk. I think it depends. Although it is melodic, it is harder to get into than something like Metalcore, which can have elements of pop punk - an extremely easy genre to get into. Nu metal has hip hop, which can ease a non metal fan into it. I don't really see non metal fans taking to power metal, as it is so over the top and extreme in it's grandeur that it can be off putting.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
03.06.2013 - 21:12
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Symphonic/gothic metal like Sirenia, Within Temptation or Delain. Very easy listening, soft music, almost like pop.
04.06.2013 - 06:36
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Probably traditional heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest specifically) and speed/thrash metal (specifically the Big 4). Those tend to be the most popular of all metal bands/genres and can be considered a good gateway for many metal novices (I know they were for me especially).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
05.06.2013 - 10:32
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Written by BitterCOld on 03.06.2013 at 20:09

Heh, I shoulda typed: "IF the person is somewhat interested in Fantasy/Sci-Fi literature/stuff" at the end of 'Power metal in general' but was way too lazy to type that there.
05.06.2013 - 10:43
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.06.2013 at 21:12

Symphonic/gothic metal like Sirenia, Within Temptation or Delain. Very easy listening, soft music, almost like pop.

agree ! and the hardest thing to get into in metal is brutal death metal for a new listener, or even some slow death doom as well,it totally depends on the person and the way they approach the music.
05.06.2013 - 11:14
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.06.2013 at 10:43

and the hardest thing to get into in metal is brutal death metal for a new listener, or even some slow death doom as well,it totally depends on the person and the way they approach the music.

yes, getting into the non-melodic melodic genres which have harsh vocals (like raw black metal, brutal death, grindcore) is the most difficult for most people imo, also doom like you said.
05.06.2013 - 12:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Did someone say Thrash Metal?

nope?

Okay, thrash metal is very easy genre to get into.
05.06.2013 - 13:44
whatsacow
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.06.2013 at 12:46

nope?

Yeah, actually I agree. I mean look at Metallica. They were huge even when they actually played Thrash. Slayer and Pantera are also huge, even outside of Metal circles, so I'm inclined to agree.
----
05.06.2013 - 13:50
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by whatsacow on 05.06.2013 at 13:44

Yeah, actually I agree. I mean look at Metallica. They were huge even when they actually played Thrash. Slayer and Pantera are also huge, even outside of Metal circles, so I'm inclined to agree.

it really depends on the band,not all the Thrash bands are easy to get into
05.06.2013 - 20:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 05.06.2013 at 13:50

Written by whatsacow on 05.06.2013 at 13:44

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.06.2013 at 12:46

nope?

not all the Thrash bands are easy to get into

Uh?

well, taking in majority i strongly think it's pretty easy to get into any thrash or revivalist metal bands. If you talking about Havok, Revocation, Hell's Thrash Horsemen or Kreator are tough to get through, then i guess you should CHECK THESE BANDS out again.
05.06.2013 - 21:28
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.06.2013 at 20:01

well, taking in majority i strongly think it's pretty easy to get into any thrash or revivalist metal bands. If you talking about Havok, Revocation, Hell's Thrash Horsemen or Kreator are tough to get through, then i guess you should CHECK THESE BANDS out again.

I didn't dig Kreator much but I don't think it's hard to get into it for a new listener of metal,but I think Exumer or Coroner are not easy-listening stuff in thrash.
19.08.2014 - 20:47
theFIST
Written by Guest on 05.06.2013 at 11:14

yes, getting into the non-melodic melodic genres which have harsh vocals (like raw black metal, brutal death, grindcore)

interestingly that was my direction long before i got near melodic stuff
after i had found motörhead, and gotten a full stick from a friend with mostly melodic stuff i ignored and some things like kataklysm, fear factory and dagoba, i got to deathcore for a while, then straight into black, a while later grindcore and slam death, only after that thrash
i then got to melodic music through black and technical death

but for most people i"d say folk metal is the easy way in
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
19.08.2014 - 20:54
Diverge
The genres that got me into metal were late-NWOBHM and alternative metal, although I highly recommend tech-death as a way of getting into the more extreme styling of metal.
19.08.2014 - 23:24
Zombie94
Power metal is the most melodic so I'll go with that. Folk metal is friendly tap-your-foot-to-it goodness too.
21.08.2014 - 10:06
Ganondox
Power metal, because of the lack of harsh vocals and the light subject matter. Alternatively glam, if you prefer glam cheese to power cheese. Some alternative metal is also easy to get into, but some isn't. Metalcore is NOT easy to get into because of the harsh vocals, but it's probably the easiest way to get into extreme metal. Nu metal shouldn't be an easy genre to get into, it's often dissonant or monotonous, but apparently for a lot of people it is.
21.08.2014 - 11:32
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Heavy metal and hard rock.
----
The Fangirl.
21.08.2014 - 11:53
toxx
Supreme being
Written by deadone on 20.08.2014 at 03:42

For the general public I suspect it's traditional heavy (including watered down Thrash ala Metallica and Megadeth), female vocaled symphonic and Nu-metal.

I agree. I think that metal (or music in general) that are the easiest to get into, are also the music that is easy to understand, so to speak. It's easier to dig something you can understand, rather than something you don't understand. Complexity will repel the common man
22.08.2014 - 00:46
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Symphonic Metal seems to grab most non-metalheads attentions for me.
22.08.2014 - 01:50
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by deadone on 22.08.2014 at 01:47

Written by toxx on 21.08.2014 at 11:53

Complexity will repel the common man

As will abrasiveness and aggression.

I've even heard non-metal people describe Power Metal as depressing and aggressive when I've played them stuff like Helloween.

What kind of people is that?? Like.. EVERYONE can hear that things like Helloween isn't DEPRESSING??
22.08.2014 - 02:10
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by deadone on 22.08.2014 at 02:01
Depends on your outlook and perspective. Someone who listens to pop music probably will find Helloween depressing and aggressive. The people in question were actually 40+ with either very mainstream music tastes or no real interest in music. I was trying to show them how metal isn't just growling and extremeness but they still heard aggressive and abrasive elements.

Oh well, funny people are so different I find popular music depressing; depressed that so many people worldwide actually LOVE shitty music like Dustin Beaver or Rubbekkah Black
23.08.2014 - 07:48
Ganondox
Written by deadone on 22.08.2014 at 02:01

Written by Fallen Ghost on 22.08.2014 at 01:50

What kind of people is that?? Like.. EVERYONE can hear that things like Helloween isn't DEPRESSING??

Depends on your outlook and perspective. Someone who listens to pop music probably will find Helloween depressing and aggressive. The people in question were actually 40+ with either very mainstream music tastes or no real interest in music. I was trying to show them how metal isn't just growling and extremeness but they still heard aggressive and abrasive elements over the melodic and IMO upbeatness of it (and I played them chunks of the Treasure Chest compilation which covered their whole career at that point).

Pop music nowadays is often more far depressing and aggressive than Helloween is. Maybe this people only listen to pop from like 40+ years ago.
23.08.2014 - 10:04
Fearmeister
Account deleted
From some reason I got into black metal super easily.
23.08.2014 - 17:22
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Me too. Started on black, gothic and death metal and later went to the more underground genres such as shoegaze, dark ambient and such stuff
Peole keep saying alternative, heavy, power and thrash are easier to get into but I still didn't manage to get into this stuff :3
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.09.2014 - 01:45
_deepblack
Gothic Or Metalcore and heavy metal is standard
02.10.2014 - 07:28
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by deadone on 02.10.2014 at 02:45

I tried and tried but in the end hated all of modern Black Metal bar Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir.

Try Obtained Enslavement. They sound like a cross between Dimmu and Emperor. Chthonic are a bit (I said a bit) like Cradle, mainly in the vocal department.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"