Metal Storm logo
Getting Old as a Metalhead

20.04.2016 - 17:55
Enteroctopus

We all have to get old. [Or die, you could always go that route, too.]

Getting old means: playing Bingo, having your adult diapers changed by an illegal immigrant and trying to convince a young child to let you out, "Just untie that strap over there for me, kiddo!"

Since the first generation of metal icons has entered the Golden Years they are blazing a path for the rest of us. Still, being that we're not exactly AC/DC or Black Sabbath we might find it slightly more difficult to "fit in" with the other elderly. I have to say Tom Araya looks pretty badass with a grey beard! Still, I can't help but wonder, is metal a young man's game?

How do you see yourself aging as a fan of heavy music, and how do you plan to work in the inevitable changes, like grey hair, baldness, a gut, etc.

I would argue that old age is very metal!! In fact, old people are probably more metal than young people anyway, since they think about death a lot. Who is the guy in the Kung Fu movie that teaches the younger guy how to whoop ass? The old guy, right? And he's always, "The key to victory is to allow your enemy to defeat himself," and crap like that.

You'd have to pick the right genre, though, because I don't really think being old works that well for technical death metal. Sorry, at some point you are forced to slow it down a bit. Just a fact of life, folks. Now atmospheric black metal? Hell yeah!! The older you are, the more crankly, the more metal you will be lurking in the woods with your staff - and you will need a staff, too, because you can't walk properly anymore! You'll also need a robe to keep warm in 35 C weather, because you're old.

So picture everyone at the beach, playing volleyball, drinking cheap beer. There's you, lurking in the woods with a staff and a robe!

And you won't need corpse paint, either, because you will pretty much look like that anyway. So embrace the aging process, think of it as a metalling process!

People will say, "Did you hear that new band that came out?" Your response will always be the same, "They're not metal!! That's pop garbage." You'll be right, too, because compared to what you listen to it will be - anything! So what kind of elderly metalhead are you going to be? I'm woods-lurking-corpse-staff guy, so that's taken.