The Best Post-Metal Album Of 2007

Found in 10 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 193 users
22.04.2016 - 12:31
Rating: 8
musclassia

Very much a departure from The Eye Of Every Storm. It's good and I probably prefer it to at least Times Of Grace, but it does feel a little one-note musically compared to some of the previous albums, and I think The Eye... has a bit more of note about it. somewhere between a 7 and 8 on first revisit
22.04.2016 - 15:56
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by musclassia on 22.04.2016 at 12:31
but it does feel a little one-note musically compared to some of the previous albums.

You think so? I can only agree to disagree because this is by far one of the most varied albums they have with albums like "Times Of Grace" and "Through Silver" covering much of their heaviest sounds and "A Sun.." and "The Eye..." being mostly very calm. Given To The Rising is a great mix, covering most if not all the bases that make Neurosis... well, Neurosis.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.04.2016 - 16:24
musclassia

Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.04.2016 at 15:56

Written by musclassia on 22.04.2016 at 12:31
but it does feel a little one-note musically compared to some of the previous albums.

You think so? I can only agree to disagree because this is by far one of the most varied albums they have with albums like "Times Of Grace" and "Through Silver" covering much of their heaviest sounds and "A Sun.." and "The Eye..." being mostly very calm. Given To The Rising is a great mix, covering most if not all the bases that make Neurosis... well, Neurosis.

I don't know, I've been relistening to all these albums partially in the background whilst doing lab work, so I can't say that I picked up all the details, but whilst I did notice the quieter moments (and quieter songs in the case of Origin), the heavier side of it seemed a lot more prominent throughout. And also, less to do with the loud/soft mix and more to do with the nature of the heavier parts, but either it lacked or I just didn't particularly notice the tribal aspect that the late 90s/early 00s albums had, which was something I missed.
22.04.2016 - 16:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by musclassia on 22.04.2016 at 16:24
it lacked or I just didn't particularly notice the tribal aspect that the late 90s/early 00s albums had, which was something I missed.

The tribal aspects are fairly obvious to me in songs like the opener self-titled, Fear and Sickness, At The End Of The Road (beginning is fairly ambient based but it does pick up tribal waves by the second, heavier half), Distill (which they played live if you remember), and of course Origin which is just a blatant example at this point.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.04.2016 - 16:54
musclassia

Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.04.2016 at 16:34

Written by musclassia on 22.04.2016 at 16:24
it lacked or I just didn't particularly notice the tribal aspect that the late 90s/early 00s albums had, which was something I missed.

The tribal aspects are fairly obvious to me in songs like the opener self-titled, Fear and Sickness, At The End Of The Road (beginning is fairly ambient based but it does pick up tribal waves by the second, heavier half), Distill (which they played live if you remember), and of course Origin which is just a blatant example at this point.

I'm sure I'll get round to listening to it at some point with more attention paid and it's quite likely you're right on these things, I pretty much use comments like the ones I've been making on the Neurosis album threads as reminders in the future for when I want to revisit a band that I can't remember the music of that well so when I come back to album pages I've at least got my opinions at the time of listening to work with - with case in point being Neurosis in that I've heard all their post-Souls At zero albums previously two or three times years ago but could remember next to nothing about several of them. Replies like yours are useful in then inspiring me to pay attention to certain things on subsequent revisits are get a more solid idea of the album. Actually, I might very will give it another listen right now!
22.04.2016 - 17:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by musclassia on 22.04.2016 at 16:54
I'm sure I'll get round to listening to it at some point with more attention paid and it's quite likely you're right on these things, I pretty much use comments like the ones I've been making on the Neurosis album threads as reminders in the future for when I want to revisit a band that I can't remember the music of that well so when I come back to album pages I've at least got my opinions at the time of listening to work with - with case in point being Neurosis in that I've heard all their post-Souls At zero albums previously two or three times years ago but could remember next to nothing about several of them. Replies like yours are useful in then inspiring me to pay attention to certain things on subsequent revisits are get a more solid idea of the album. Actually, I might very will give it another listen right now!

Nice of you to say the last part. I was hoping my comment didn't come across as "no, your opinion is wrong". I'm quite aware that I'm a fanboy anyways hahahah, maybe not so much of their last album which I think was quite a disappointment after this one (If I reviewed it again I would be a tad harsher, still somewhere in the 7 area though).
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.04.2016 - 18:29
musclassia

Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.04.2016 at 17:10

Nice of you to say the last part. I was hoping my comment didn't come across as "no, your opinion is wrong". I'm quite aware that I'm a fanboy anyways hahahah, maybe not so much of their last album which I think was quite a disappointment after this one (If I reviewed it again I would be a tad harsher, still somewhere in the 7 area though).

I remember liking Honor Found In Decay quite a bit, will need to listen to it again.

Gave this one another go, I did notice the tribal elements on some of the songs you mentioned, but aside from Origin I don't think they're nearly as prominent or as interesting as in their most effective uses on some of the earlier stuff. Also, I think my comments on it being one-note was probably that the heavier parts, except for on To The Wind (which is really post-y) and the title track (which is the best song on the album by quite some distance, awesome track) just don't quite have either the variety or the inspiration to them that I feel like they do on some of their earlier albums, IDK I preferred it a bit more this time round, mainly because I didn't appreciate just how great the title track was the first listen today, but still don't think it's as good as either its predecessor or the best of the 90s
31.01.2017 - 21:41
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I'm glad I started listening this band from this album.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
03.03.2020 - 09:22
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Can you believe that it's been almost 13 years since Neurosis released an awesome album?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
03.03.2020 - 11:29
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Maco on 03.03.2020 at 09:22

Can you believe that it's been almost 13 years since Neurosis released an awesome album?

Maybe... But a decent Neurosis is better than no Neurosis at all

Hits total: 9547 | This month: 18